• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

On 08/11/2023 at 11:20, magnkarl said:

Make of it what you will, but Ukraine seems to have amassed a lot of anti-air assets along the Kherson side of the now much smaller Dniper, and seems to be pushing hard at Krynky, I'm wondering if they're preparing for a bigger crossing using all the delivered pontoon systems that we've yet to see in the war. A quick googling show that Germany in particular have delivered enough sets of different variants to create at least 5 different crossing points, and the other allies have delivered PTS-2 amphibious landing crafts capable of carrying armor up to a MBT-weight.

I wonder if Zalushniy's comments lately have been to give Russia a sense of ease before they're onto something.

Yeah, such a frustration that they can only properly shield themselves from air attack over a small area, but it shows what they're capable of when it happens. Wouldn't it be great if the collective West saw this and gave them loads more. 

It seems yesterday was rather successful for Ukraine in a number of operations.

Reports of a hit on multiple high ranking officers located in some office block (missile strike)

And another report claiming that multiple small Russian landing craft were destroyed in a port in Crimea but this wasn’t a long range precision strike, this was a Special Ops raid. The claim is that the landing craft were also loaded with vehicles at the time

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

It seems yesterday was rather successful for Ukraine in a number of operations.

Reports of a hit on multiple high ranking officers located in some office block (missile strike)

And another report claiming that multiple small Russian landing craft were destroyed in a port in Crimea but this wasn’t a long range precision strike, this was a Special Ops raid. The claim is that the landing craft were also loaded with vehicles at the time

Keep reading Ukraine destroyed X.

I wonder when / if these logistical / military hits will start to have an effect / end this stalemate? Russia don't have unlimited supplies, nor the supply chain to keep re-arming. Eventually something has to give.

5 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Keep reading Ukraine destroyed X.

I wonder when / if these logistical / military hits will start to have an effect / end this stalemate? Russia don't have unlimited supplies, nor the supply chain to keep re-arming. Eventually something has to give.

Well taking out Landing craft is certainly going to hinder supply issues, they can't be rebuilt overnight but the real story there was the special ops team carrying out the mission in Crimea, that's the big part of the story IMO

Ukraine war: Russian state media retract report of retreat

Russian state media on Monday published and swiftly retracted reports of a withdrawal of forces from positions on the left (eastern) bank of the Dnipro River.

The reports quoted Russia's defence ministry announcing troops were being transferred "to more favourable positions" on the Russian-occupied left - or eastern - side.

The stories were quickly retracted.

The Russian defence ministry blamed the "false report" on Ukraine.

BBC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Russian memorials to victims of Stalin vanish

Memorials to victims of Stalinist repression in Russia are disappearing or being vandalised amid increasing attempts to rehabilitate the Soviet dictator.

For the past nine years, more than 700 plaques have been put up in Russia and elsewhere, commemorating the final residences of people who died in Stalin's purges in the 1930s.

BBC

What a basket case of a country. Putin has really lost his marbles if he thinks Stalin was a great leader. Deluded fool. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Widely reported that Ukraine have crossed the Dnipro now. Apparently this is important as it could mean they can cut the supplies of Russian forces in Crimea.

In theory yes. In practice they are moving forward very very slowly. In no way a criticism of the effort, what they are doing is incredibly difficult, but they won't cut supply lines advancing 10s of meters a day.

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

In theory yes. In practice they are moving forward very very slowly. In no way a criticism of the effort, what they are doing is incredibly difficult, but they won't cut supply lines advancing 10s of meters a day.

Surely Once they have secured the area they can move artillery in and start making life very uncomfortable for the Russians

2 hours ago, tinker said:

Surely Once they have secured the area they can move artillery in and start making life very uncomfortable for the Russians

It’s pretty difficult to supply a bridgehead on the wrong side of the river from all your equipment. Refuelling vehicles and reloading artillery is much harder. 

• Like 2

Linky

Russia-Ukraine war – live: Putin’s troops ‘pushed back miles’ after major Kyiv breakthrough on Dnipro River

Ukrainian forces say they have pushed Russian troops three to eight kilometeres back on the banks of the key Dnipro River.

If confirmed, it would be the first meaningful advance by Kyiv’s forces months into a relatively slow counteroffensive.

I hope this is the start of some good news.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

From what I've read recently that pretty much is the end of any advances now because of the winter weather. 

It appears not, Ukraine have apparently set up two pontoon bridges and ferried a whole load of equipment over the Dnipro, including MBTs. I think Ukraine might have found their weak spot, alternatively Russia will need to once again shuffle their troops around.

I have a suspicion/fear, based on my extensive armchair knowledge, that although Crimea is Ukrainian land, militarily it is kind of a poisoned chalice, perhaps a bit like Snake Island, in that it's really difficult to hold, militarily. If/when Ukraine do take it, holding it safely will be tricky, as it's hard to defend.

Let's see. Would love to be wrong.

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I have a suspicion/fear, based on my extensive armchair knowledge, that although Crimea is Ukrainian land, militarily it is kind of a poisoned chalice, perhaps a bit like Snake Island, in that it's really difficult to hold, militarily. If/when Ukraine do take it, holding it safely will be tricky, as it's hard to defend.

I don't think we'll ever get to see because Ukraine are never going to get that far. They'll have done well if they can take back the South areas above Crimea and only lose Crimea & Donbas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

As a fellow armchair expert, is it not the opposite?  A narrow strip of land is the only access, it can be heavily defended without massive resources.

Air and sea are another thing of course.

Â