Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

11 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

My wife (who's Lithuanian / Russian) said she is Russia's Madonna. One of those singers who although is no longer in the limelight, you reminisce and know every one of their songs (young and old). Whacking her would be a massive PR disaster for the Kremlin.

Especially as she's currently resident in Israel. Israel wouldn't like that one bit

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

On 15/09/2022 at 07:54, It's Your Round said:

“We are very careful about those who serve for sexual articles (charges), but we understand mistakes can be made”.

So we really don’t care whether you’ve raped your way through a nursery school, as long as it was a mistake. 

I wonder how much training these cons get before they’re dropped off at the front line? 

Numerous reports that they are turning up at the front-line and just surrendering en masse.

Probably not a tricky decision to make - a penal colony in Siberia or a Ukranian PoW Camp. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

And here's what just the talk of mobilsation does to the Russia Stock Exchanges

EDIT: This is in response to the Duma announcing it will be changing the penal code for wartime offences tomorrow, not for it passing a general mobilisation order. Essentially they've just published a bill to be voted on tomorrow.

So one of the views I've seen being mentioned by people who know more about the war than I is that this mobilisation decree doesn't necessarily equal actual mobilisation. It allows the option of mobilisation if Putin chooses to go for it, but it doesn't mean that's coming.

There's a lot of soldiers who are legally allowed to refuse to fight at the moment, and this bill would stop them doing that. It's also a sop to the ultranationalists that have been turning on Putin lately. So I think it's possibly a bit premature to assume Russia is stepping the war up a notch based on the text of the bill alone.

EDIT: oh, and it'll allow Russia to press-gang locals from currently occupied Ukrainian territories into the army as conscripts.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

It’s also probably the opening gambit of negotiations of a ceasefire. Once it’s all signed off they will probably want to get round a table with Ukraine thinking they’re gonna be scared of the potential for large scale mobilisation of the population.

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Russia declared war I wonder if you could join the Russian army, then once in Ukraine go AWOL, try to get to Poland then seek asylum? That would be my plan.

So Russia's answer to a personal heavy, equipment light, army is to force people to join with little or no training? Great plan guys.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So Russia's answer to a personal heavy, equipment light, army is to force people to join with little or no training? Great plan guys.

Yep, and now more than ever they know it’s a pointless conflict and they are very likely to die.

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think if there is one thing we have learned about Russia in this whole saga it's that great planning is not something they are likely to do.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is the announcement about the referendums they’re having on the Donetsk region? 

Could it be that they’re properly declaring it Russian now and that means they can use more aggressive means to defend it…? 

I doubt that line of thought would work anymore. It doesn’t work in Crimea, so why would it in Donbas? Ukraine’s attacked Crimea many times.

• Like 1

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said he believes Russia's leader is seeking an end to the war he began in Ukraine, and that a "significant step" will be made.

He said his impression from recent talks with Vladimir Putin was that he wanted to "end this as soon as possible".

Ukraine has recaptured swathes of its territory this month.

The Turkish leader indicated things were "quite problematic" for Russia.

Mr Erdogan spoke of having "very extensive discussions" with Mr Putin at a summit in Uzbekistan last week. 

In an interview with US broadcaster PBS, the Turkish leader said he gained the impression that the Russian president wanted a speedy end to the war.

"He is actually showing me that he's willing to end this as soon as possible," Mr Erdogan said. "That was my impression, because the way things are going right now are quite problematic."

I bet he’d love to end the war now. I wonder what has changed…

Its probably “the wests” fault for prolonging the fighting when all Putin wants is peace, and the land he momentarily had control of, and all the claims of war crimes to go away.

Link

Edited by Genie

7 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I doubt that line of thought would work anymore. It doesn’t work in Crimea, so why would it in Donbas? Ukraine’s attacked Crimea many times.

It doesn't have to work for the western audience, more for the audience back in Russia who are about to be called up to 'special duty' to defend the (new) motherland.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Interestingly, twitter was actually saying that her and her husband were back in Russia as of a few months ago.

My reading of it was that they both buggered off to Israel as he husband (also a singer) had been highly critical of the war and she was just saying much the same now to show they both had the same stance. Everything I read said they were still in Israel

• Like 1

According to Sky News - Putin is to give a televised address at 1800 GMT.

Last time he did this was on the 24th of Feb, to announce the "Special Military Operation".

Thoughts anyone better versed than me?

Â