Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But the military threat to Nato countries from Russia has never been lower than it is today.  

I'm not sure. We've enjoyed a period of relative peace in Europe for quite some time now,. That's possibly come to an end, plus boots on the ground has never been a concern for Western Europe where Russia is concerned. At least not for decades. The obvious threat still remains though in the form of nuclear missiles and with the potential for escalation I think you could argue the threat has grown across the region not lowered. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 hours ago, blandy said:

It seems like Russian forces are about to take control of the heap of rubble and bodies and traumatised survivors that used to be Mariupol.

Was this as reported in the Guardian? (and other places too I guess)

This story was reported because the 36th Marine Brigade's Facebook account was hacked. Someone sent a message on Monday along the lines of "running out of ammunition and expected to be killed or taken prisoner very soon by Russian forces surrounding the city."

It was fake. They sent messages later in the day saying it was a hack and they still had plenty of ammunition.

It really only was a couple of hours before they corrected it but plenty of journalists filed the story and didn't withdraw it when they must have known it wasn't true.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yep, typical. Massive world event that we are very embroiled in, nope can't go back to work, we've got a few awkward questions to answer.

I don’t believe that and think Coates is stirring the s**t. Johnson is safe now and Sunak isn’t going anywhere unless a Johnson wants him out. 

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

This story was reported because the 36th Marine Brigade's Facebook account was hacked. Someone sent a message on Monday along the lines of "running out of ammunition and expected to be killed or taken prisoner very soon by Russian forces surrounding the city."

It was fake. They sent messages later in the day saying it was a hack and they still had plenty of ammunition.

It really only was a couple of hours before they corrected it but plenty of journalists filed the story and didn't withdraw it when they must have known it wasn't true.

A British lad who fought ISIS with the YPG then joined the Ukrainian 36th Marines in 2018 is widely reported to have surrendered now in Mariupol. Not sure about the wider unit but  a strange thing to do on his own.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

From twitter by soldiers there. They're running out of food and bullets, all pretty much located right in the centre in the last bit of it not to fall.

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

In the version I heard he actually shot the baby after raping it. Twitter doxxed him and he looked just as wrong as he sounds.

The version I keep reading is a little more sick than that. He actually filmed himself doing it and posted it to Telegram, there was no doxxing, he put it on his own telegram account and he outed himself as a consequence

The next part of the story was that Russia themselves actually arrested him as even Russian public opinion was aghast at his actions. The Paratrooper is currently in the gulag

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

From twitter by soldiers there. They're running out of food and bullets, all pretty much located right in the centre in the last bit of it not to fall.

That account is run by his friends not him. They haven't heard from him for over a day, they appear to be basing it on exactly the same hacked facebook post that was later denied by the 36th Marine Brigade, the wording is very similar about being out of food and ammo, the brigade themselves have denied it.

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

That account is run by his friends not him. They haven't heard from him for over a day, they appear to be basing it on exactly the same hacked facebook post that was later denied by the 36th Marine Brigade, the wording is very similar about being out of food and ammo, the brigade themselves have denied it.

OK. I was just answering your question!

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

to be fair I think he got carried away with racing under the Italian flag and thought he'd do something to show his Italian credentials ... not realising that the Roman salute has been outlawed for years 

i don't think it was intended as a **** you Ukraine message , unlike the clearing in the woods Kuliak at the gymnastics 

Edited by tonyh29

1 minute ago, blandy said:

OK. I was just answering your question!

:)

I was just annoyed by the Guardian article which came out a lot of hours after the whole thing had been denied. It was just very shit journalism

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Translation:

In Mariupol , as a result of a special operation, a unit of the 36th Separate Marine Brigade was able to leave the isolated encirclement and link up with the Azov regiment.

A single tweet that could have the plot of Black Hawk Down behind it.

Â