Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Skripal senior no longer critical!

Wow - What an absolute bodge that attack has turned out to be.

Someone's fuming.

Fuming?! Nah, it's all part of Mossad's plan. You'll see.

Edited by Chindie
  • Haha 1

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Because it risks instant escalation towards MAD.

It's part of the reason the war talk is completely daft.

It is daft, but its also an unnecessary situation generated by our leaders imo.

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

Someone's fuming.

All is not what it seems. It feels like someone has "sexed up" the actual incident as the outcome doesn't match what should have happened if we're to believe what we're being told.

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

It is daft, but its also an unnecessary situation generated by our leaders imo.

They all know nothing is going to happen. Regardless of Boris being dumb, etc. There isn't a situation to be generated. Nobody really cares about a spy being poisoned. It's all posturing. Trying to appear to be doing something.

Far greater risks of war with Russia have in the past occurred and been avoided. Skripal or any amount of posturing is not going to change that now.

If it would, Skripal wouldn't have been in hospital in the first place. The risk would be too great. But Russia knows it basically isn't really going to be hurt by anything we will do, so he gets a chance at joining the ranks of 'traitors' Putin has, ahem, outlived.

War isn't going to happen. Let's stop being daft.

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Someone's fuming.

I would be too if I found out the UK government executed my cat and tortured my guinea pigs to death... bastards! :ph34r:

Edited by villakram
gerbils/hamsters/guinea pigs... filthy rodents the lot of 'em
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, villakram said:

I would be too if I found out the UK government executed my cat and tortured my guinea pigs to death... bastards! :ph34r:

Well, recent reports suggest simple incompetence, not noticing that there were living creatures that needed feeding and watering.

Other accounts (here) suggest something else.  I've read that the family vet offered to intercede in the first few days, but the animals were taken away.  If the animals died in the absence of giving food and water,  probably a criminal offence has occurred.  No doubt it will not be pursued.

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Well, recent reports suggest simple incompetence, not noticing that there were living creatures that needed feeding and watering.

Other accounts (here) suggest something else.  I've read that the family vet offered to intercede in the first few days, but the animals were taken away.  If the animals died in the absence of giving food and water,  probably a criminal offence has occurred.  No doubt it will not be pursued.

I know... you couldn't make up this level of incompetence. It's straight out of Austin Powers.

Just imagine Theresa cackling as she watched the live video feed of the guinea pigs slipping out their last breaths, Williamson sitting there slapping one hand with a rubber truncheon held in the other and Boris sitting in the corner trying to swat the fly zooming around his mane :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43672190

"The Russian government operates for the disproportionate benefit of oligarchs," 

Said former hedge fund manager and investment manager Steven Mnuchin today in his role of part of oligarch Donald Trumps government.

With a straight face apparently.

Whilst imposing "sanctions" on Russian companies and banks for the competitive benefit of corporate USA.

• Like 3

On 05/04/2018 at 23:30, Brumerican said:

I disagree. Our Navy guys have great fun pinging them on almost a daily basis.

They wave at each other on occasion.

That's the type of protocol I was talking about, usual behaviour. But theres certain events occurring that are out of the ordinary and one mistake could lead to an escalation that , under the present political situation, leads to real issues. 

Maybe even bigger than Bruce has.... UTV

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think a war would be very unlikely. The way international money works nowadays means it's very difficult for two developed economies to have a war. No one wants to blow up the stuff they own.

Fella called Norman Angell made that exact economic/financial argument in a book titled “The Great Illusion”. It was well received when he published, in 1909. 

There won’t be a war with Russia* because escalation can’t be controlled and that road ends in nuclear exchange. 

*crosses fingers...

On 07/04/2018 at 21:41, OutByEaster? said:

I think a war would be very unlikely. The way international money works nowadays means it's very difficult for two developed economies to have a war. No one wants to blow up the stuff they own.

That’s quite profound. I like it. Apparently no two democracies have ever gone to war against each other, and now that (sort of) international money has usurped democracy, maybe you’re right.

I really don't think the British people would be anywhere close to supporting a war (however unlikely) either.

We're still paying the price for the war in the Middle East which is still not entirely clear why we went there in the first place, or if it has made anything any better.

This is kind of why I was critical of the stance the UK has taken on this... what's the point? Should have dealt with it in private with Putin and kept it out of the public domain.

Re. the Skripals not dropping dead ASAP when encountering the nerve agent. Turns out they seem to have survived partly as suspected because the agent is less effective through absorption by the skin, partly because it's likely the effectiveness of the agent was affected by the environment (nerve agents don't react well to water) and partly because they were given atropine quickly. Apparently it is quite effective at reducing the impact of nerve agents and conveniently is carried routinely by ambulances and held in stocks at hospitals due to its use in drug overdoses.

Some Mossad agent is going to find themselves in a holdall for eternity for this **** up.

Seems the British intercepted a coded message to Moscow from one of its listening posts in Cyprus that most likely relates to the attack ... other foreign agencies also intercepted it hence the willingness to back the UK

The Russian ambassador to Lebanon has stated that if any missiles are fired at Syrian targets in response to the latest chemical weapons attack they will shoot them down and directly target the firing platforms (aircraft, ships, subs). Basically he’s threatening war against the West. 

I suspect that’s a very ballsy bluff, but ramps things up to the point the US cannot really back down without a massive loss of face and a huge PR win for Moscow. 

Meanwhile at the UN Russia vetoed a resolution for an independent investigation, proposing instead that Russia picks the investigators and interprets the results. Not suss’ at all, obviously. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Seems the British intercepted a coded message to Moscow from one of its listening posts in Cyprus that most likely relates to the attack ... other foreign agencies also intercepted it hence the willingness to back the UK

What’s the source on that mate? 

Â