Player of the Season discussion

KJT123

Following on from the player of the season discussion in the Kodjia thread, I think it'd be good to have an individual thread running until the end of the season to discuss our player of the season contenders.

For me, it's between Kodjia, Adomah, Jedinak, Chester, Baker and Hutton. As mentioned elsewhere, it's nice to have several contenders this year instead of not having a single player deserve it like in previous years.

Your thoughts please...

• Like 1

I think Kodjia and Chester have been equally as important to our results, however, on the basis that scoring goals is the most difficult thing to do in the game, and looking at what happened to us while Kodjia was away at that stupid AFCON, I'm going to give it to the old Codger by a hair's breath.  But they have both been vital to us this season. 

Honourable mentions to Adomah the assist meister and Jedinak the glue that binds the team together.

• Like 2

Middlesbrough are a prime example of  where a team with a good defence but no goal-scorer stand in the table. Which is why it has to be Kodjia.

Edited by PaulC

Defo Kodjia for me. We're not exactly a free-flowing, creative side, so the fact that he's odds on for a 20-goal haul (despite often operating on the wing) is impressive. Baker is arguably his closest rival for me (Chester is decent but his positioning and decision-making gives me nightmares). Lansbury has generally played well since arriving (though not vs Norwich), and Amavi had a good first half of the season, but it's clearly Kodjia based on the whole campaign imo.

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Middlesbrough are a prime example of  where a team with a good defence but no goal-scorer stand in the table. Which is why it has to be Kodjia.

Think Negredo would score quite a few in a more balanced team. Boro are reminiscent of us under Lambert, in that they're so incredibly deep when they receive the ball, and so lacking in ideas when it comes to building the play that they can only really score through counter attacks or set pieces. Back on topic, I agree totally that Kodjia is our POTS.

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Think Negredo would score quite a few in a more balanced team. Boro are reminiscent of us under Lambert, in that they're so incredibly deep when they receive the ball, and so lacking in ideas when it comes to building the play that they can only really score through counter attacks or set pieces. Back on topic, I agree totally that Kodjia is our POTS.

Negrado was hardly prolific for Valencia though

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Kodjia. Because who doesn't love a bandage wearing dancing Ivorian star striker banging in scissor kicks and the like. 

Alright mods, we can close the thread now :)

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Negrado was hardly prolific for Valencia though

Think his record last season was better than 1 in 2 if you take minutes played into account but Nuno/Neville/Ayestaran all favoured Alcácer, so he didn't see much pitch time. Anyway, that's my thread hijacking done! 

For me, unless someone else fires us back to the big time at Wembley, it's:

1. Kodjia

2. Kodjia

3. Kodjia

• Like 1

This is purely out of interest and not meant to put any player up or down, as there are many extenuating factors to how important someone is.  For example, Chester's numbers are affected by him being involved so extensively while we were still finding our feet early in the season.

As such I've only ordered it alphabetically.

PLAYER  STARTS  WIN %    PPG (points per game started)
Adomah    25    48.0    1.68

Baker     24    45.8    1.63
Chester   38    36.8    1.42
Hutton    26    46.2    1.54
Jedinak   28    46.4    1.68
Kodjia    31    41.9    1.55

• Like 1

Â