Player of the Season discussion

KJT123

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is purely out of interest and not meant to put any player up or down, as there are many extenuating factors to how important someone is.  For example, Chester's numbers are affected by him being involved so extensively while we were still finding our feet early in the season.

As such I've only ordered it alphabetically.

PLAYER  STARTS  WIN %    PPG (points per game started)
Adomah    25    48.0    1.68

Baker     24    45.8    1.63
Chester   38    36.8    1.42
Hutton    26    46.2    1.54
Jedinak   28    46.4    1.68
Kodjia    31    41.9    1.55

What is most surprising about this is that Adomah has only started 25 games. Who's mad idea was that? 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What is most surprising about this is that Adomah has only started 25 games. Who's mad idea was that? 

His first start was game 9 (game 8 he was 3rd sub).  He has 32 appearances including substitutions so actually since the Ipswich game he has appeared in every game, but yes he should have more starts under his belt given his amazing contribution.

• Like 1

Codger

Jedi

Albert

Perhaps harsh on the defenders, but they have to work as a unit to be successful so hard to single them out.  We've struggled to score enough this season but the artful Kodjia is, out of all the options we've tried this season, the one who's nailed it.  Jedi's held it all together and protected the back while allow us to have a functioning midfield as well.  And Adomah's provided the assists - what a swap deal that was.

Player of the season is always a hard one for me as you tend to remember the last 10 or so games best, which on a few occasions have been our best runs of the season, now being case in point. 

Going through our best XI of the season:

GK - noone consistently in goal / mistakes made by all 3

RB - Hutton was unfairly criticised until recently, now he's being overhyped. Average season

CB - if you could give it to a partnership then Baker/Chester would win, Chester too dodgy without a solid partner, whereas Baker is out the team too often with head injuries

LB - Amavi inconsistent and Taylor only here since Jan

RW - Adomah only real wide option but has consistently performed well and definitely one of the top players in the squad

CM - our entire central midfield was brought in during January and took time to find their feet, Jedinak has had a couple of injuries and gone from good to very bad to very good so not consistent enough. 

LW - Again, Green only came into the side recently but took the chance with both hands. Not played enough though. Grealish not dangerous enough and everyone else either sold on or played out of position to fill in the left side.

ST - considering the strikers we've had as options this season, Kodjia is the only real one to talk about here which both shows how he's lived up to the expectations, and how every other striker disappointed. 

I think you'd have to go for Kodjia, I'd then go for Adomah as second choice and then if pushed I'd pick Chester but i think those 2 are the only players at the club to have met expectations, let alone exceeded them, when called upon. 

14 hours ago, BOF said:

while we were still finding our feet early in the season.

"Finding our feet"? That deserves an award of its own for "Polite Euphemism of the Season" :)

Edit - back on topic, Codger, obvs.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

"Finding our feet"? That deserves an award of its own for "Polite Euphemism of the Season" :)

Edit - back on topic, Codger, obvs.

Hehe, you could look at it another way and say it's particularly damning for a footballer of all people not to know where his feet are :)

• Like 1

Hutton? That would be even better than when Stephen Ireland won it.

There are only two candidates, Chester and Kodjia, and scoring goals is what catches the attention so Codger will win it (and deserve it).

Edited by villa89

10 hours ago, villa89 said:

Hutton? That would be even better than when Stephen Ireland won it.

There are only two candidates, Chester and Kodjia, and scoring goals is what catches the attention so Codger will win it (and deserve it).

wouldnt it make Hutton a 2 time winner :lol:

Â