17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

19 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

We're settled.

We have the right owner who has shown an overwhelming willingness to invest. We have a manager who has gotten out of this division before with less than what he has now. People might not like his style, and I certainly don't think we'll end up finishing top 6 in the Premier League under Bruce, but he can get us out of the championship.

The awful culture of the Lerner era continues to dissipate. We have a good squad full of capable players who have now had some time to gel, and given how turbulent the last 3 or 4 years have been, that can't be understated.

I agree we have the right owner- however the present incumbent has a record of 4 promotions in 20 years - does this really inspire you? - the football is dire and his recruits look nothing like their former selves - tactics seem non existent and he shows nothing to suggest that he will change any time soon - and more importantly should we get promoted next season this in my opinion wil be in spite of him being in charge and I see nothing in him to suggest that he  can plot a path back to where most of us believe we belong

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I agree we have the right owner- however the present incumbent has a record of 4 promotions in 20 years - does this really inspire you? - the football is dire and his recruits look nothing like their former selves - tactics seem non existent and he shows nothing to suggest that he will change any time soon - and more importantly should we get promoted next season this in my opinion wil be in spite of him being in charge and I see nothing in him to suggest that he  can plot a path back to where most of us believe we belong

I keep seeing this "4 promotions in 20 seasons" thing, completely ignoring the fact that he hasn't been in the Championship for most of those 20 seasons. I'm sure someone on another thread worked out it's actually 4 promotions in 4 full Championship seasons... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, weedman said:

I keep seeing this "4 promotions in 20 seasons" thing, completely ignoring the fact that he hasn't been in the Championship for most of those 20 seasons. I'm sure someone on another thread worked out it's actually 4 promotions in 4 full Championship seasons... 

I make no claim to this - however as you say it's been stated on here a number of times now. Regardless he's been around the block a few times with not a lot to show for it imo.

Not that I think it reflects on our chances for promotion either way, but just to clear it up once and for all.

His 4 promotions are? 

15/16 with Hull

12/13 with Hull

06/07 with SHA

And 01/02 from the then First Division with Birmingham, a season when he joined mid season from Crystal Palace?

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Dave you are a charmer.

So i can see this one coming......the team have a great start, but its all down to the players.

but when the football was shite, it was down to him.

when the shite appears its down to Bruce.....when the good times roll, its down to someone else.

Classic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I make no claim to this - however as you say it's been stated on here a number of times now. Regardless he's been around the block a few times with not a lot to show for it imo.

I guess it must be a pretty miserable time looking forward to the new season....when the bookies, the hierarchy and many fans are in support of Bruce to win us back our premiership place.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dave you are a charmer.

So i can see this one coming......the team have a great start, but its all down to the players.

but when the football was shite, it was down to him.

when the shite appears its down to Bruce.....when the good times roll, its down to someone else.

Classic.

A tad unfair I would venture to say - I never wanted Bruce and have always been Luke warm in my view of him - in my view the club went for a safe option and showed little in the way of imagination or future insight.

i will agree that once a player has crossed the white  the manager can do little until half time - but come on TRO collectively we are dire and he had more than enough time/ opportunity/ finance to have made a genuine attempt at the play - offs - I reckon most of the managers in the championship would have given their all for what Bruce inherited. I would love to say that he has given me hope that he will turn this oil tanker around but I just don't see it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I guess it must be a pretty miserable time looking forward to the new season....when the bookies, the hierarchy and many fans are in support of Bruce to win us back our premiership place.

If we're not top 4 after  half a dozen games - I doubt very much you will lay claim to him having " many fans support " 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave J said:

A tad unfair I would venture to say - I never wanted Bruce and have always been Luke warm in my view of him - in my view the club went for a safe option and showed little in the way of imagination or future insight.

i will agree that once a player has crossed the white  the manager can do little until half time - but come on TRO collectively we are dire and he had more than enough time/ opportunity/ finance to have made a genuine attempt at the play - offs - I reckon most of the managers in the championship would have given their all for what Bruce inherited. I would love to say that he has given me hope that he will turn this oil tanker around but I just don't see it.

You may not see it, because it is not to be seen, yet.

Dave this is a mammoth task.....the football has been dire......we all agree on that, but can't you see he set out to remove the soft underbelly and improve the resillience.

That was his his first task and don't underestimate how difficult that was.

it was trying to turn a druggie around, its not an easy task.

Next season we will be entitled to expect better, although i have to say, nothing is guaranteed in football.

The Book makers are in favour of us to go up......that is not to be sniffed at.

Keep an open mind mate, its more fun.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

If we're not top 4 after  half a dozen games - I doubt very much you will lay claim to him having " many fans support " 

What do you do when you're not haunting houses....just joking.

you don't favour steve bruce and my guess is not much will convince you otherwise.

my guess is you will continue to support Villa with one eye constantly on his removal.

I hope you are wrong, because i want us to do well.

sadly, you have a longer wait, because you will only be happy ,when he is gone.

17 minutes ago, Dave J said:

IF

6 games? You're proposing we sack Bruce after 6 games if we're not top 4? That could be just one game lost or a couple drawn. I personally hope we're slightly more lenient. If we're bottom 4 after 6 games I'd understand the loss in support. 

13 hours ago, TRO said:

sadly, you have a longer wait, because you will only be happy ,when he is gone.

The only reason why a Bruce supporter would be happy atm us because

He hasnt signed/moved out anyone

Preseasons games are not underway yet showing this dramatic upturn in playing style, team performance and winning games.

When Bruce signs SJ, plays Hutton and Bacuna.  HL&CL too deep, Hoofball and Hogan isolated then I assure you  that NO Bruce supporter will be happy at  5 or so points from the 1st 4 or 5 games.

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

6 games? You're proposing we sack Bruce after 6 games if we're not top 4? That could be just one game lost or a couple drawn. I personally hope we're slightly more lenient. If we're bottom 4 after 6 games I'd understand the loss in support. 

Exactly - I appreciate it has the possibility of being 'promotion at ALL costs' next season, but crikey, only a nutter hell bent on making the club a bigger circus than we're already seeming like would push the button with a half dozen games gone - even two away defeats to the likes of Boro and Wednesday for example. There are no gimmes in this division, especially with Rotherham gone.

16 hours ago, Dave J said:

This is silly. Bruce hasn't spent 20 seasons in the Championship.

As I said, I don't think he's leading us to the PL top 4, but he would have a better record in our division than most and he's never had the financial support he has now.

The club has been through an incredibly tumultuous few seasons with several managers and a change in ownership, as well as almost the entire squad being turned over. You can't keep going like that, you need to settle and let things gel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

This is silly. Bruce hasn't spent 20 seasons in the Championship.

As I said, I don't think he's leading us to the PL top 4, but he would have a better record in our division than most and he's never had the financial support he has now.

The club has been through an incredibly tumultuous few seasons with several managers and a change in ownership, as well as almost the entire squad being turned over. You can't keep going like that, you need to settle and let things gel.

Well if I honestly thought he is the right man to take us back to where we would like to be I would agree but in truth I don't :-(

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well if I honestly thought he is the right man to take us back to where we would like to be I would agree but in truth I don't :-(

Looking more closely at his record, his last 3 full seasons in the Championship have seen his side get promoted.

That's an astonishing record in a difficult league. I'm not sure what more he could do at this level to prove that he's capable.

He hasn't fared as well in the PL, but he hasn't exactly been managing established PL sides, and ultimately I don't care what his Premier League record is, his job at this stage is to get us promoted. He might not take us back to "where we'd like to be", but he's definitely got the runs on the board for me to be confident that he can achieve the first step in that, which is promotion to the Premier League.

• Like 3

Bruce will himself prove he is not the man to get us promoted.

My overriding hope is that he shows the board very quickly - pre-season or after less than 10 games - so they can take approriate action.

I am very worried atm because it seems there is a lot of managerial movement going on and there are a number of candidates we could attract - coaches too.

We need a manager who can attract GK, Ballplaying CB & DM, a set of coaches who will prepare players for "on the front foot" football.

There is no team in CH who we should either fear or give too much respect to. Anything less than that will only mean we will be running with a pack of teams fighting - and maybe not even winning - for a playoff spot.

Edited by Grasshopper

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Again, his last 3 full seasons in the Championship ended in promotion.

Again

1 wasnt with AVFC

2,3,4,5......etc

results, selections, SJ, Gaby, McC, Hoofing, playing Hutton/Bacuna/Gardner, not playing players to their strengths (the utmost cardinalsinn for a manager at any level).........