Top Gear 2017

Czechlad

1 hour ago, turnbull said:

OMG, that Alpha!

:o

Fairly sure when they drove it around the Grand Tour track it came near the bottom of their leaderboard and well below the M3 ... could have been a different engine / variant of the car or it could just be my memory playing tricks on me !!

Edited by tonyh29

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Fairly sure when they drove it around the Grand Tour track it came near the bottom of their leaderboard and well below the M3 ... could have been a different engine / variant of the car or it could just be my memory playing tricks on me !!

Who cares? :wub:

55 minutes ago, Genie said:

Another superb episode (imo).

I really enjoyed it too, it's coming along nicely. No silliness, no gimmicks, it's car show again. Even Matt LeB was bearable and that's a huge plus for me.

Long may it continue.

Although the upshot  is, the missus and me really want another MX5.

• Like 2

Managed to watch more than a few mins without convulsing which came as a surprise.

It wasn't as bad as my first impression a couple of weeks ago but it still feels very forced and fake. The 'banter' between them just isn't genuine and feels fake,how can it be anything else when they've just been put together.

It was decent but still feels like a copy of the original rather than a reboot.

I still find one of the presenters hugely irritating though, Chris something I think his name is. Not warming to him at all.

On 20/03/2017 at 08:30, TrentVilla said:

Managed to watch more than a few mins without convulsing which came as a surprise.

It wasn't as bad as my first impression a couple of weeks ago but it still feels very forced and fake. The 'banter' between them just isn't genuine and feels fake,how can it be anything else when they've just been put together.

It was decent but still feels like a copy of the original rather than a reboot.

I still find one of the presenters hugely irritating though, Chris something I think his name is. Not warming to him at all.

I really like Chris Harris. Not so much in the studio where he is a little awkward, but behind the wheel of a car doing a review he is as good as anyone including the original three. Given that you an count the number of times he has presented infront of a live audience on your fingers I'm willing to give him time to loosen up in that environment. TBH I don't think any of the new 3 are much good in the studio, I'd be cutting that time to a minimum if I were in charge. 

I would also cut the mlb plays with farm equipment section. It's just not funny and feels like it is just stuck in to pad the run time.

• Like 1

To be fair to him Matt le blanc seems to have taken the reigns and I quite like him

watching it now it's the celebrity bit, it's always been shit and this is no better, it's not as bad as dragging out a joke where you kill the celebrity that wasn't funny in episode 1 but you're still doing it in episode 10...but it's still shit

• Like 3

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair to him Matt le blanc seems to have taken the reigns and I quite like him

watching it now it's the celebrity bit, it's always been shit and this is no better, it's not as bad as dragging out a joke where you kill the celebrity that wasn't funny in episode 1 but you're still doing it in episode 10...but it's still shit

Completely agree. The show is absolutely fine except for the celebrity bit. I just watch it on iPlayer and fast forward through that part now. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That bit won't be in season two. 

To be fair to The Grand Tour they recorded the entire season in pretty much one solid chunk. That meant when the dead celebrity joke fell flat in episode one there wasn't much they could do about it. They could have edited the joke out, but then you have a studio segment that was recorded with a live audience months ago that is now between 5-15 minutes shorter. So we can hate on the joke, but the show isn't like Top Gear where the live studio segment is filmed in the week to stay current. 

I am sure it won't be returning in season two.

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

That bit won't be in season two. 

I'm not so sure. They need to cut out around 16 minutes in other countries to allow for adverts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, limpid said:

I'm not so sure. They need to cut out around 16 minutes in other countries to allow for adverts.

I agree with you that they need to allow for adverts, but the likely hood of this exact time waster coming back is slim.

I do think they will have gone back to the drawing board to come up with something that is still "non-content", but at the very least entertaining.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty good too. I'm warming to LeBlanc now, which is saying something. Things are beginning to gel and the cars are indeed the focus, which is how a car show should be.

Nice to see the Ducati on there, about time too.

Speaking of Le Blanc I thoroughly advise people to watch Episodes.  It's a bit of slow starter but if you stick with it there are some immense comedy moments. Brilliantly written and observed and Matt Le Blanc plays an amazing larger than life version of himself. 

• Like 3

I thought it was superb on Sunday, as has been said it was as good as anything from the previous generation. Rory comes across a bit like he should be doing Newsround or Blue Peter though. Not sure what it is (but still like him).

I do like how they seem to give a bit of a basic history lesson for most cars they review too.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

Back to the format that made it a very popular and very good. The studio still isn't quite there, they haven't found their own voices and the banter feels either forced or aping Clarkson and co, but that'll come, the celeb section is still filler that lives and dies on the on how good the guest is. Otherwise it's actually pretty damn good. Sabine still sounds like she's hosting Playbus and Rorie still feels like he's on secondment from Newsround but that's nitpicking. The filmed segments are brilliant, beautifully shot and have an earnest sense of fun

Less indulgent than later series and the Grand Tour, and the better for it. Good stuff. 

• Like 2

Â