Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

4 hours ago, darrenm said:

See the thing is I am fairly experienced in those things. I'm got C&G 236 1 and 2 electrical installation and I've always done my own plumbing. I fitted our replacement boiler (and got a GSR fitter to check it and sign it off for building regs) so I know what to look for. The boiler in the new house is a combi which means it's not original. And the wiring will be fine in a 20 year old house unless there was new circuits for extensions etc which there isn't. The stuff I wouldn't be able to spot is roof or building issues which I wouldn't have thought was much of a risk in a 100% original fairly modern house.

Wouldn't care less about Japanese knotweed 😆 the wife though...

We both see it the same , more or less. On the electrics, the wiring should be fine but the board would be 16rh edition with possibly no RCD's , 18th  requires split load boards both with RCD protection, just a thought.

Just get a roofer In and make sure there's no cracks or visible subsidence in the walls. Another issue could be construction type , Bryant system 2 , concrete construction has caught me out with a mortgage offer , non standard construction is a question to ask a builder . 

• Like 1

The othee thing to consider darren. Lets hypothetically say you miss something, something really bad which can make the property value plummet you cant take anyone to court. If a surveyor company misses it at least its on them not you

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The othee thing to consider darren. Lets hypothetically say you miss something, something really bad which can make the property value plummet you cant take anyone to court. If a surveyor company misses it at least its on them not you

Yep that is a fair point. I'm just not sure a surveyor who won't or can't take electrics or plumbing apart to check them can tell me much I don't already know for an indentikit house which is exactly the same as the thousand other houses built on large estates in bromsgrove all at the same time. The house we're buying was built the same year as the one we're selling and quite likely by the same builder. They're all the same around here. The only thing I'd be worries about is the service history of the boiler and the age because I know it must have been replaced but I don't know when or by who. So being pragmatic if I can find that out I'm realistically on a level footing with the surveyor. If it was an independent build or it had been altered, or if it wasn't on a large identical house estate, or if I wasn't already in a similar house from more or less the same year then I'd be a bit more worried and inclined to stump up the money.

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Yep that is a fair point. I'm just not sure a surveyor who won't or can't take electrics or plumbing apart to check them can tell me much I don't already know for an indentikit house which is exactly the same as the thousand other houses built on large estates in bromsgrove all at the same time. The house we're buying was built the same year as the one we're selling and quite likely by the same builder. They're all the same around here. The only thing I'd be worries about is the service history of the boiler and the age because I know it must have been replaced but I don't know when or by who. So being pragmatic if I can find that out I'm realistically on a level footing with the surveyor. If it was an independent build or it had been altered, or if it wasn't on a large identical house estate, or if I wasn't already in a similar house from more or less the same year then I'd be a bit more worried and inclined to stump up the money.

Do they not have  a gas certificate to provide you? Surely the sellers if they want to sell can tell you some information about the boiler?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Do they not have  a gas certificate to provide you? Surely the sellers if they want to sell can tell you some information about the boiler?

Thanks for the prompt. Yep, just went to GSR and got the info I needed.

Screenshot_20201121-083917.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 11:58, AlwaysAVFC said:

After thinking it would be the new build holding us up. It looks like that will be ready early part of December. Still waiting on a management pack for our sellers purchase.

Our Estate agent doesn't think we will be in before Christmas now, not ruled out but looking less likely all the time. The developer suggested a date of the 23rd, but not all the Solicitors were going to be open. They brought that forward a day, and our seller wants the 18th which is fine by us, but they have also just raised 15 enquiries for their purchase and considering how long one of the management companies took to send their pack to them. It's probably an unrealistic date.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no news on our purchase progressing. So pissed off now!

Thinking it was just a matter of waiting for the new build at the top of the chain to be built, but that's been all ready to go for a while now. Our sellers purchase has held everything up. Guess it's not going to be until mid January now at best. 

19 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Still no news on our purchase progressing. So pissed off now!

Thinking it was just a matter of waiting for the new build at the top of the chain to be built, but that's been all ready to go for a while now. Our sellers purchase has held everything up. Guess it's not going to be until mid January now at best. 

Same with me. At best. Irritated by it all but what can you do. 

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Same with me. At best. Irritated by it all but what can you do. 

Can't do much at all, it's in the hands of people that don't have a vested interest in getting it all done. Solicitors and estate agent are chasing it frequently, but that's about all they can do. 

We actually went to the house this evening to do some measuring up and check it was all as we saw it back in August. 

• Like 1

We moved to Denver in August.

The area we rented in we really like. It's not too boujee and everyone we've met (neighbors, folks at the park with the nipper) have been fine.

Thing is, its public schools are pretty crap. We've been looking in the 'right' areas for school districts and they are nice, but anything that's affordable gets snapped up within hours - literally a house went in 6 hours the other day. I used to live in Florida and was burnt in a 'hot' real estate market but Denver seems to have real growth in many sectors and the real estate market looks like it's going to just keep rising (famous last words.)

We saw a house earlier this week that my wife and I fell in love with. It's got everthing we want and will be big enough if we have another kid. It's in the area with not great schools but it's entirely possible that she begins working (once this pandemic is done) so we may be able to pay for a reasonable school.

So any advice? The house was just renovated, is close to work and things we like. Has enough room for her family to come and stay and just felt great when we walked in. Should we do the 'practica'l thing and move into something we don't really love for the right public school or should we go for the renovated house that admittedly is one of the most expensive on the block / in the area.

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

We moved to Denver in August.

The area we rented in we really like. It's not too boujee and everyone we've met (neighbors, folks at the park with the nipper) have been fine.

Thing is, its public schools are pretty crap. We've been looking in the 'right' areas for school districts and they are nice, but anything that's affordable gets snapped up within hours - literally a house went in 6 hours the other day. I used to live in Florida and was burnt in a 'hot' real estate market but Denver seems to have real growth in many sectors and the real estate market looks like it's going to just keep rising (famous last words.)

We saw a house earlier this week that my wife and I fell in love with. It's got everthing we want and will be big enough if we have another kid. It's in the area with not great schools but it's entirely possible that she begins working (once this pandemic is done) so we may be able to pay for a reasonable school.

So any advice? The house was just renovated, is close to work and things we like. Has enough room for her family to come and stay and just felt great when we walked in. Should we do the 'practica'l thing and move into something we don't really love for the right public school or should we go for the renovated house that admittedly is one of the most expensive on the block / in the area.

That is a tough one. My 2c.

I think it really depends on what your time horizon is. Of course it's unknown in the modern economy, but with what you know now and the current interest rate market, it is a good time to buy, even if you are paying the hot market rate. If your dream house points to a certain amount of "gentrifying", perhaps it will be possible to feed the extra tax take into schools in a few years with the right number of like minded neighbors... and kids are adaptable. 

We had a similar decision house-wise (less so with schools) and we made our decision with a long time horizon in mind, even though we are both only stable for maybe ~3-5yrs and who really knows come the post covid world.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Find a smaller house so they have to stay elsewhere. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Find a smaller house so they have to stay elsewhere. 

Lol. They are alright actually. My wife loves seeing them because they are all in California and see each regularly (pre-Covid) and she's been stuck on the East Coast for years until this past March. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villakram said:

That is a tough one. My 2c.

I think it really depends on what your time horizon is. Of course it's unknown in the modern economy, but with what you know now and the current interest rate market, it is a good time to buy, even if you are paying the hot market rate. If your dream house points to a certain amount of "gentrifying", perhaps it will be possible to feed the extra tax take into schools in a few years with the right number of like minded neighbors... and kids are adaptable. 

We had a similar decision house-wise (less so with schools) and we made our decision with a long time horizon in mind, even though we are both only stable for maybe ~3-5yrs and who really knows come the post covid world.

Now it's a mute point because it went under contract this morning 🤣 Too slow!

The market here is nuts - but those interest rates make me salivate - 2.75% 30 years fixed! It's basically free money.

We got 2.99% on a USED car 2 months ago from the credit union. Madness.

• Like 1

After about a dozen trips to Cheshire and back, putting in asking price offers for 4 seperate houses that none worked out on, including one where we'd been told it was accepted, we'd finally had an offer accepted and good to go.... 

Our buyer's had been chasing us about twice a week to complete and asking to do so before they'd even done the searches we'd had radio silence for about a fortnight. After chasing them since Monday to confirm they're still on we've just found out that they've walked away and we need to put our house back on the market. 

This will be the third purchase they've walked from this year whilst they're sat in rented. 

Pretty annoyed they didn't tell us they'd walked a few weeks ago but better now than in a few weeks /months when we'd paid for searches /surveys etc but at least we've got clarity. 

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

House buying is broken.

Make buyers put a £1,000 deposit down and lots of the dicking around will stop. 

Its a shit system. I dread moving from my current place. When I bought it I was renting elsewhere and this was a new build, so it was fairly relaxed. I wasn't hung up on a completion date, it was just a case of it happens when it happens. 

The thought of being in a chain though, worries me. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Its a shit system. I dread moving from my current place. When I bought it I was renting elsewhere and this was a new build, so it was fairly relaxed. I wasn't hung up on a completion date, it was just a case of it happens when it happens. 

The thought of being in a chain though, worries me. 

Doesn't help that the market is also in overdrive at the moment. People are being crazy with how they do things. 

Â