The retro gaming thread!

BOF

• 2 months later...

I just bought myself a Pentium 90. Barring any major repairs I'm, going full retard retro

Just need a P2 with a Vodoo card as well so I can relive "3dfx glide" again.

Emulators are for the weak-minded :D

• Like 2

On 25/02/2019 at 05:21, Keyblade said:

Bought a PS2 recently, looks like absolute trash on my 4k TV. Finding saves on my memory card from almost 15 years ago was a treat though.

I brought one about 8 months ago and it does look dated but I loved a lot of ps2 games. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I brought one about 8 months ago and it does look dated but I loved a lot of ps2 games. 

I just need to buy component cables, as the old a/v cables look gash outside of a CRT tv. Currently getting back into Kingdom Hearts.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

PS2 is a close second behind the N64 in consoles I spent the most time on. Loved it.

I was gonna say same, but then I remember I played my first system (the NES) for a good 7 years or so before I got my N64.

I feel like the Dreamcast was my most prized console although probably not the one I spent the most time on.

Playing Sonic Adventure fresh out the box blew my little mind, then the fun of Crazy Taxi and the cool and original Jet Set Radio. Add in my first online multiplayer on Quake 3 arena, literally paying by the minute to play and games like Shenmue and the novelty of the removable VMU...

It was the perfect time/place/age and I loved the bloody thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I feel like the Dreamcast was my most prized console although probably not the one I spent the most time on.

Playing Sonic Adventure fresh out the box blew my little mind, then the fun of Crazy Taxi and the cool and original Jet Set Radio. Add in my first online multiplayer on Quake 3 arena, literally paying by the minute to play and games like Shenmue and the novelty of the removable VMU...

It was the perfect time/place/age and I loved the bloody thing.

I'm seriously considering buying a Dreamcast. Never got to experience it, but it looks so good.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2019 at 20:57, Tegis said:

I just bought myself a Pentium 90. Barring any major repairs I'm, going full retard retro 

Just need a P2 with a Vodoo card as well so I can relive "3dfx glide" again.

Emulators are for the weak-minded :D

It has arrived. It works but the RTC battery is dead, so a bit of Dremel and soldering is probably the next step unless I can find a working "Dallas ds12887a". Might try a new old stock one first, but I reckon as they are all ancient, most of the will have crappy batterys as well. Moronic design and good thing manufacturers went witn coin cells after this.

It also has one of those stupid Matsushita MKE interfaces for the CD, so I have to hook it up to the Sound Blaster instead of the IDE slots.

Look at this glorous marble turbo button beast :D

image.thumb.png.f644dbbef6a42a65f327b15369d682b3.png

The Dreamcast was a good console. It has a library of good games. Not loads, but a few. Which was part of the problem.

It also was buggered by the timing of it's release and the fact the Saturn had basically done scorched earth on Sega, after the 32X and Mega CD had started a fire in its living room.

I had a Jap dreamcast about a year before they were released over here. Had a mate round for a blast on HOTD 2 & Marvel Vs Capcom and we had ordered a pizza. The delivery guy was blown away with what he saw and ended up staying until about 5 in the morning playing with us :)

Great console, Way ahead of it's time with an internet browser, online gaming & community chatrooms. There were a few "nearly arcade perfect" games on the saturn but this was the first time really you could play proper arcade games in your home.

There are some fantastic games on the system, most of which still hold up pretty well today but if you are thinking of buying one now the good games will set you back a few £ but they are very, very easy to pirate which helped its downfall

Edited by LakotaDakota

DC was a good console, blaming it on the saturn is probably right, loss of fans to sony, reduced cycle meaning the dreamcast came out too early

think i've said this before when talking about the gamecube, i worked at GAME in 2002, dreamcast would have been discontinued by then, don't underestimate the draw of the PS2 having a DVD player, it was a huge easy selling point

Assuming you mean the GameCube, it was a few things that prevented DVD being added. Nintendo has long had a problem with piracy and had always been incredibly risk averse with it. It's a big part of why it took them so long to take up optical media, even when it was obvious carts were dead. So they insisted on having a disc media developed that would inherently be more difficult to pirate than a standard format (this is also why there was the Panasonic Q console that could play DVDs - Panasonic developed the optical format for Nintendo and developed their own version of the GameCube as part of the deal. In Japan only. And nobody bought it).

Nintendo also is famously solely focused on making games. They don't have much interest in doing anything else, and prefer to focus on developing innovation in what they know. They don't do 'entertainment solutions' and don't have any real desire to our much to gain from it. So they didn't bother with DVD in the GameCube.

Also IIRC the GameCube was the console that Nintendo broke their usual methodology of selling consoles at a profit on (or it was very slim margins, I can't quite recall). The GameCube was fairly powerful, and sold at a fairly low price. Had they put in a DVD drive they would have needed to pay licensing fees and so on, putting the price up or further hitting Nintendo itself. So even less reason to put in a DVD capability.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

Giant Bomb play the Saturn for nearly 4 hours, going through various games from Panzer Dragoon and Virtua Cop to X-Men Vs Street Fighter and Daytona USA.

X men vs street fighter what a game that was

• 2 weeks later...

DF Retro does a bite sized analysis of every game on the ill fated Sega 32X, the weird mushroom shaped add on for the Mega Drive which was supposed to tide it over in light of the more powerful consoles entering the market and ended up being a complete white elephant.

Really interesting watch and highlights what a bizarre thing the 32X was.

Â