The retro gaming thread!

BOF

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

Oh no you don't!!.

I can hardly get into  my garage for boxes of DVDs, VHS tapes, LPs, Game Consoles, Games + boxes, half finished upright home arcade machine, DVD players, CD players, Guitar Hero guitars, hifi speakers, amplifiers, 42" tv. Thats not even mentioning the other shite like drills, paint brushes, paint pots, fridges, freezers, f**k I've become THAT person!

My in-laws would love you. I only keep books, nothing else. I cant bring myself to get rid of my books even when I've read them.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

My in-laws would love you. I only keep books, nothing else. I cant bring myself to get rid of my books even when I've read them.

I forgot about the books! mostly computing, kernighan and ritchie the c programming language, COBOL, Discovering SmallTalk (shiver).. oh man, and the gaziilion of binders full of IBM tech courses.... I'm off to cry.

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

Oh no you don't!!.

I can hardly get into  my garage for boxes of DVDs, VHS tapes, LPs, Game Consoles, Games + boxes, half finished upright home arcade machine, DVD players, CD players, Guitar Hero guitars, hifi speakers, amplifiers, 42" tv. Thats not even mentioning the other shite like drills, paint brushes, paint pots, fridges, freezers, f**k I've become THAT person!

Anything u wanna get rid of let us know 😂

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anything u wanna get rid of let us know 😂

Anything I want to get rid of? - thats the problem! You never know when you might need these things again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m thinking about getting a pc to play any cross plat gen 5-6 games on (ps1/ps2/Xbox/GameCube/Wii etc…).

I don’t need a cutting edge one but good enough to play old stuff on steam at 60fps maybe 4K but 1080p will do. Can you hook them up a hdtv or does it have to be a monitor? 

Any ideas on cost for something like that? Where would I get one from? I haven’t had a PC since 2002 and have no idea. 

Edited by Ingram85

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’m thinking about getting a pc to play any cross play gen 5-6 games on (ps1/ps2/Xbox/GameCube/Wii etc…).

I don’t need a cutting edge one but good enough to play old stuff on steam at 60fps maybe 4K but 1080p will do. Can you hook them up a hdtv or does it have to be a monitor? 

Any ideas on cost for something like that? Where would I get one from? I haven’t had a PC since 2002 and have no idea. 

Have you looked at a retro station? Its like a mini pc that plays up to wii u (although prob the ps3 upwards wouldnt play eveeything very well) you can hook it up to your tv.

It is abit pricey though but looks bloody brilliant. I want one

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Have you looked at a retro station? Its like a mini pc that plays up to wii u (although prob the ps3 upwards wouldnt play eveeything very well) you can hook it up to your tv.

It is abit pricey though but looks bloody brilliant. I want one

I need it to play pc versions of the games. For eg. Sudeki on OG Xbox, looks a bit crap even on crt tv where as the steam version is dirt cheap and is in hd. 

Not sure about that kind of thing. I was thinking a pc that plays 360/ps3 era stuff and earlier at 1080/60. Will most ‘cheapest’ pc’s do that these days? Just any old pre built? 

10 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Not sure about that kind of thing. I was thinking a pc that plays 360/ps3 era stuff and earlier at 1080/60. Will most ‘cheapest’ pc’s do that these days? Just any old pre built? 

I think any decent modern PC should do the trick. They should be as strong as the beefiest rigs from that era. Good dedicated graphics card, latest processor and 12-16 GB of ram should be good.

Mega Drive Mini 2 full game lost released:

After Burner II

Alien Soldier
Atomic Runner
Bonanza Bros.
ClayFighter
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
Earthworm Jim 2
Elemental Master
Fatal Fury 2
Gain Ground
Golden Axe II
Granada
Hellfire
Herzog Zwei
Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar
Midnight Resistance
OutRun
OutRunners
Phantasy Star II
Populous
Rainbow Islands Extra
Ranger-X
Ristar
Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic 3D Blast
Splatterhouse 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
The Ooze
The Revenge of Shinobi
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Truxton
VectorMan 2
Viewpoint
Virtua Racing
Warsong

CD games:

Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Final Fight CD
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Night Striker
Night Trap
Robo Aleste
Sewer Shark
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Sonic The Hedgehog CD
The Ninja Warriors

Also included are a few bonus games. Here’s the list, along with some background information.

Devi & Pii – Paddle-style game developed by Takashi Iizuka in 1993, before he developed Sonic 3. Iizuka-san designed the game, characters, and sprites. The game never released.

Fantasy Zone – New port from the same team who ported Darius for the original Genesis Mini.

Space Harrier II (+Space Harrier) – New ports using the sprite zoom function!

Spatter – M2 “hobby” port of a small arcade game released by SEGA in 1984. The game was created by the graphic designer of Flicky.

Star Mobile – Puzzle game developed by Mindware in 1992; it was completed at the time, but never released.

Super Locomotive – M2 “hobby” port of a small arcade game released by SEGA in 1982.

VS Puyo Puyo Sun – “Demake” of Puyo Puyo Sun, only featuring VS mode, with new rules not found in the original version.

Release date: October 27th

Clicky

Assuming I’m late to the party here but did everyone else know that middling 360 game Too Human was free to download on Xbox? 

I enjoyed it for what it was back in the day and haven’t played it since. Mad that it’s just free to download?! 

Was thinking about selling my Dreamcast and games recently, as I got a decent offer for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, given the condition it was in, and let it go. I know I'll never touch it, and I fancy a Switch to start playing Xenoblade, so. 

Thought I'd hook it up to see if it and the controllers and memory card things work on my little old CRT. 

It, and they, do. Perfectly it seems. I'm actually surprised just how good it looks. Fired up MSR as it has a 60hz mode and the TV supports it, so I thought why not. 

Hadn't played it in many many years...what on earth is the radio all about?! Adverts for pizza or something and God knows what else. Very weird, had completely forgotten about it, but kinda cool. I only played for about 30 mins on the London tracks, but it was a nice trip down memory lane. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hogso said:

Was thinking about selling my Dreamcast and games recently, as I got a decent offer for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, given the condition it was in, and let it go. I know I'll never touch it, and I fancy a Switch to start playing Xenoblade, so. 

Thought I'd hook it up to see if it and the controllers and memory card things work on my little old CRT. 

It, and they, do. Perfectly it seems. I'm actually surprised just how good it looks. Fired up MSR as it has a 60hz mode and the TV supports it, so I thought why not. 

Hadn't played it in many many years...what on earth is the radio all about?! Adverts for pizza or something and God knows what else. Very weird, had completely forgotten about it, but kinda cool. I only played for about 30 mins on the London tracks, but it was a nice trip down memory lane. 

I still got my dreamcast. I wouldnt sell it i love it (despute the clunky huge controllers. Its a great console. I think these dreamcasts might be worth a bit in years to come

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hogso said:

The Dreamcast looks awesome on a CRT. I just use S-video and even that looks so good. I can only imagine how it looks thorough VGA on a CRT monitor.

If you still have JoJo, start it up and hold Start + L. It'll display in the original arcade 240p resolution and it just looks stunning. Capcom were on top of their game when it came to 2D pixel art.

On 18/08/2022 at 14:45, Ingram85 said:

I’m thinking about getting a pc to play any cross plat gen 5-6 games on (ps1/ps2/Xbox/GameCube/Wii etc…).

What's your budget?

A few options here.  Most laptops and desktops have HDMI out to hook up to TVs nowadays. Just need to spec one up for your requirements and budget.

Another option is getting the steam deck.  Fantastic handheld device.  It's a PC really.  Can emulate all the way up to switch games and is a natural partner for your steam library.  You can hook one of these up via a USB c dock to a TV via HDMI too.  Not all steam games are compatible yet but the library is increasing daily.  I'm using mine to play the odd steam game (dishonoured and Witcher 3) but mainly emulating PS2 and Saturn games to get my shmup fix.

Â