Top Gear

Jez

But you could beat an F1 drivers time?

Where did I say beat?

I'm saying

1)I could get a close time to those F1 drivers and beat most of those celebs.

2)I think nearly all the celebs have been shit that I've seen on the show, a mixture of thespians and pop artists that cant even change gear. Which has made the decent ones look superb and the F1 drivers look like magicians. It's not 100 celebs either surely?

3) Hamilton is an excellent driver, but saying that lap is in any way a sign of genius is just a joke. A person off the street with a bit of training could do that. Like I say, it's in super high powered vehicles over many laps that these guys skills come to the fore.

So you know driving round that rack is easy do you?

Its not like driving round your boy racer nova round the local kev circuit over and over, wheel spinning at each set of lights.

Its on a track with a crap car!

I'm saying

I agree that beating most of the celebs is very possible as they don't exactly appear on the show because of their driving talent.

3) Hamilton is an excellent driver, but saying that lap is in any way a sign of genius is just a joke.

I disagree. He did things Webber, Button, Mansell & Stig couldn't do. He basically beat them all by ~2 seconds given a dry track. Stig, Clarkson & the producer - all of whom know a bit about the track, the conditions and the possible lap times of the track coiuldn't understand how he did what he did. It is a sign of genius, also coupled with what he did in F1 this season.

A person off the street with a bit of training could do that. Like I say, it's in super high powered vehicles over many laps that these guys skills come to the fore.

I'm afraid you are just plain wrong here. The underpowered car will reduce the gap between the good and the bad, but there will always BE a gap no matter what. Otherwise you're saying practice is everything and talent doesn't matter. Fact is these people can do things most people can't do, which is why they are where they are. I also regard myself as a good driver (and quick when the need arises) but I have a mate who races professionally and he is soooo much better it is remarkable to be in a track car with him, and these guys are another level on top of that.

I'm not a boy racer lol. I'm not even a petrol head, but I am quite sure I and many other drivers with a feel for driving could produce a fast time in that car, with just a little bit of practice and training. We'lll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think you could say his time was better than the Stig either, his fastest is probably a better time, although obviously he knows the track.

I don't think you could say his time was better than the Stig either, his fastest is probably a better time, although obviously he knows the track.

:shock: Yes you really can. He was 0.3s down, in the wet.

Really, I thought it was more than that. Ahh well it was a good lap then to be fair. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe there is a big difference between the great the good and us mortals even in low powered cars over 1 lap. But I'd sure love to have a go :D

The stigs time in the dry was 1.44.4. Hamiltons in the wet with oil on the track was 1.44.7. By anyone's book that is staggeringly good driving, and to prove the point of how skilled these F1 drivers are they had Hammond go round a circuit in an F1 car.

Clarkson was simply stunned by Lewis's time, and even more so by how relaxed Lewis was going round the track. I really hope they get him back to go round in the dry, I really think he could push a sub-1.40 lap.

And everyone who does the star in the car gets 3 practice laps tops nowadays.

Really, I thought it was more than that. Ahh well it was a good lap then to be fair. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe there is a big difference between the great the good and us mortals even in low powered cars over 1 lap. But I'd sure love to have a go :D

I did a track day ages ago.......... went round the track all morning with an instructor showing me the line, when to brake, etc.... giving me all the advice possible. After a few hours I thought I'd nailed it and was properly flying round...............

At the end of the day I sat in as the instructor gave me a "proper lap".............. He made me look like a child a positively took the piss with his time - I shat myself.

It's not only about practice and skill, it's much more about speed of thought and action and having absolutely no fear what-so-ever. That's the main thing "no fear"....... approaching a corner at 70mph and trusting the car to take it without killing you is no mean feat!

The stigs time in the dry was 1.44.4. Hamiltons in the wet with oil on the track was 1.44.7. By anyone's book that is staggeringly good driving, and to prove the point of how skilled these F1 drivers are they had Hammond go round a circuit in an F1 car.

Clarkson was simply stunned by Lewis's time, and even more so by how relaxed Lewis was going round the track. I really hope they get him back to go round in the dry, I really think he could push a sub-1.40 lap.

And everyone who does the star in the car gets 3 practice laps tops nowadays.

The pro's are less affected by wet than the mortals are. Stig reckons the F1 drivers would improve by about 2 seconds in the dry whereas the celebs are losing 3 to 4 secs in the wet. I really don't think Lewis would get near a sub 1.40. I might be wrong but I thnk based on what has been said before, he is certainly on for a low 1.42.

I think thats a bit optimistic.

Yes, they say there are two or three seconds between a wet and dry lap but thats time you lose because its wet, not time you gain because its dry.

Lewis just didnt lose time because it was wet. Thats the mark of a fantastic driver, but i dont think that car can get around that track much below the mid-late 1:43's. If it could then we would have seen signs of it by now.

Has anyone read the Richard Hammond crash HSE report?

Seems the current Lord Stiggy is Ben Collins.

Where does it say that?? all i can see is he's used as a consultant

It's the bit in the document that states "high performance driver" that makes it for me. Wiki (may God have mercy on our souls) thinks he's The Stig as well from this document (well rumoured anyway).

It's the bit in the document that states "high performance driver" that makes it for me. Wiki (may God have mercy on our souls) thinks he's The Stig as well from this document (well rumoured anyway).

Ben Collins has done races for them in the past, like the football ones plus others.

Hes also been on Fifth Gear as a consultant.

Ben Collins has done races for them in the past, like the football ones plus others.

Hes also been on Fifth Gear as a consultant.

Fair enough :D

Yeh, thought it was brilliant. Well the 24 hour race was brilliant. Can;t say much about May's review of that shitty fiat!!

But yeh, very good episode, made me really want to be a racing driver, it looked like so much fun!

Yeh, thought it was brilliant. Well the 24 hour race was brilliant. Can;t say much about May's review of that shitty fiat!!

But yeh, very good episode, made me really want to be a racing driver, it looked like so much fun!

Hammond looked very upset when he crashed. I wonder if that was memories or just disappointment?