Top Gear

Jez

Yeah I liked last night's (as usual) but I still couldn't help thinking that at points a lot of it is way too scripted and carefully 'set up'. For a start, Clarkson's choice of car was sooo ridiculous that it suggested to me he bought it purposely for the trouble it would give them further into the programme, and it duly delivered. The amount of times they left him and he just happened to turn up with a fully functioning car again.

How adorable was 'Oliver' though :lol: Great little car, and the Beetle ominously stalking them :lol: Brilliant.

They do pick some great locations though. Those Makgadikgadi flats were cool, although I believe there's controversy over them going on them, as those flats are protected.

Top show though :)

I did wonder what they meant the week before, when they mentioned the spine of Africa. I thought they were going to go North to South down through the like of DR Congo - now THAT is something I'd have liked to see :)

Not as funny as the America road trip , (the cow on top of Clarksons car will never be beaten on TV )

and not as enjoyable as the trip to the North Pole

But still a good show ...

American Roadtrip is THE episode. Have you ever seen that episode on the ad channels like Bravo or 'Dave' ? It's edited to f**k (to squeeze in the ad breaks) and loses an awful lot of it's quality. The image of the Hamster with the Stetson, the aviators, the white pick-up and 'Man Love Rules OK' written in pink on the side, with him trying to look inconspicuous, is about as funny as it gets imo :lol:

Yes I absolutely thought that at the time too Richard. But I still refuse to believe that Clarkson went and bought a Lancia Beta safe in the knowledge that it was the best car for the job. He knew it would have 'entertainmant' benefits soon after .... sure as soon as they opened the bonnet it was leaking and had cardboard to stop the battery shorting on the bonnet. A tiny bit ridiculous. The Kadett floating in the river was class though, as you could tell Hammond was upset at losing a 'friend' :)

FAO of anyone 'working at home' the american episode is on Dave right now..

Damn I am 'working' at work today, just watched last nights episode. thought it was very good but I wonder how many more of those type of shows they can do before it becomes repetitive.

I really enjoyed last nights, best road trip they've done imo.

Agree with Brian (and others previously) about the scripting though and how 'set-up' it often feels. I dont believe for one second that Hammond accidentally named his car. Though havinng said that it was the best of the 3 for the job which was amazing. Only went wrong when he nearly drowned it and the rest of the time it looked completely at ease.

A race in this episode, and something is annoying me a little. From the westernmost point in central London to the easternmost point in central London at half eight on a Monday.

Richard on a bike.

James in a car.

The Stig on the tube.

Jeremey on a speedboat down the Thames.

Okay, James cant keep up with Richard because bikes can nip through gaps that cars cant. Only the car with the camera crew in the back of it filming Richard can? :suspect:

I assumed it was a motorbike tailing Hammond?

Nope, it was a hatchback with the door at the back opened. You even saw it on two or three occasions. Watch the repeat if you dont believe me!

Nope, it was a hatchback with the door at the back opened. You even saw it on two or three occasions. Watch the repeat if you dont believe me!

i thought it was a motorbike because theres a scene when Hammond is going through a tunnel and you can see the front of the motorbike trailing alongside him

the hatchback is one of a couple placed on the route to take pictures. A motorbike was tailing him, and even then it couldn't get through all the gaps he did and had to wait

It's an entertainment show - not a scientific experiment...

However, if you truely believe there was no waiting or cutting and reshooting, etc.. then there were probably a variety of cameras placed around the route so when one camera lost him the next could pick him up. While they've lost him in between the camera's they just showed Clarkson or The Stig.

Ps. I think I'm in love with The Stig.

• 2 weeks later...