Top Gear

Jez

WIKI LINK

The Stig's true identity is never revealed on the show, and in order to maintain the secrecy, all shots show him wearing full racing overalls and matching helmet. All that can be seen from the gap between his helmet and jumpsuit is that he is a white male with dark hair. It is also known that he wears size 10 racing boots as discovered by the Sunday Times when the Driving section wrote an article about the show.[9]

The identity of the first Stig was revealed to be Perry McCarthy when his book Flat Out, Flat Broke was published in 2003. McCarthy is a former Formula 1 driver and test driver for the Benetton, Arrows and Williams teams, and also tested for BMW F1.[2]

The identity of the new Stig has not been officially revealed. In a Winter Olympics special episode of Top Gear, the Stig was shown doing a ski jump using a snowmobile. According to the Swedish tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet, the driver performing the ski jump stunt was Dan Lang, a Swedish snowmobile cross driver.[10] In January 2006, a Daily Express article reported that Julian Bailey was secretly the Stig.[11] In January 2007, Russ Swift, a stunt driver that has appeared on the show a number of times, said in an interview that the Stig is not played by just one person.[12]

Mark Webber with an "I AM THE STIG" T-shirt presented to him by Jeremy.The show has alluded to The Stig with Formula 1 drivers that visit the show. In the episode of June 26, 2005, Damon Hill appeared as the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car". When asked directly by Clarkson if he was the Stig, Hill played on the fact that he may be The Stig but then denied it.[13] Mark Webber was interviewed on July 31, 2005 and at the conclusion of his lap, Clarkson presented him with an "I AM THE STIG" T-shirt. Webber was then warned not to wear it around the F1 paddock, as "Michael doesn't always wear red".[14]

When former F1 driver Nigel Mansell appeared on the show, Jeremy Clarkson noted that the Stig theorised that the Suzuki Liana (the show's "reasonably priced car" at the time) could achieve a 1:44 time on the track.[15] Mansell proved the Stig's theory by lapping in a time of 1:44.6; The Stig subsequently posted a lap-time of 1:44.4 in the Liana. During the review of Jenson Button's lap, Clarkson commented that he, as did most of the other F1 drivers, took very different racing lines from the Stig's. Button commented that "...obviously, the Stig isn't a Formula One Driver then."[16]

F1 driver Lewis Hamilton drove the reasonably priced car and recorded a time of 1'44.7 in conditions recorded as "wet and oily." Clarkson commented that Hamilton took a corner on "the line recommended by The Stig." During Lewis Hamilton's interview on Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson did not ask Hamilton if he was the Stig but did state "Even The Stig has to know 'How did you do that?'" when discussing Lewis' successful lap given the conditions of the track.[17]

I could do a similar time to those F1 drivers in that car, you don't have to be a genius or and F1 driver to drive that car quick. I recon nearly all of the celebs are just really shit.

:roll:

I could do a similar time to those F1 drivers in that car, you don't have to be a genius or and F1 driver to drive that car quick. I recon nearly all of the celebs are just really shit.

You gotta be shitting me!?!? :shock:

Clarkson commented that Hamilton took a corner on "the line recommended by The Stig."

I heard him say that even though it was obvious from looking at Hamilton's lap that he actually took the same really wide line as the other F1 drivers. So I was wondering what Jezza was on about at the time. Lewis did seem to tighten his line out of turn 1 a little quicker than the others but he didn't take the Stig's line.

Baz is the Stig!

Or summat that sounds similar

I don't think it's that extraordinary a claim to make myself. It's 1 lap in a low powered car. If the Stig showed you the best line, and you had 10-15 laps to perfect it, find the cars limits I don't see why not. These F1 drivers are not magicians, they only have the same power as you. If you find the cars limits and listen to the Stig over 1 lap there's not going to be much difference between your time and Hamiltons if your a decent driver. To make any judgements about his ability from that is a little OTT IMO. It's in high powered vehicles over a number of laps those guys are good.

Baz is the Stig!

Or summat that sounds similar

I don't think it's that extraordinary a claim to make myself. It's 1 lap in a low powered car. If the Stig showed you the best line, and you had 10-15 laps to perfect it, find the cars limits I don't see why not. These F1 drivers are not magicians, they only have the same power as you. If you find the cars limits and listen to the Stig over 1 lap there's not going to be much difference between your time and Hamiltons if your a decent driver. To make any judgements about his ability from that is a little OTT IMO. It's in high powered vehicles over a number of laps those guys are good.

Getting the right line, speed, braking, handling, changing gear is not as easy as it sounds mate.

I consider myself to be a decent driver and have tried my hand at track driving.

Its not a simple as you expect, you brake in the wrong place and your off backwards.

You hit a corner too fast, you lose power for the exit.

Select the wrong gear at the wrong time, can lose 2-3 seconds.

To say these F1 driver cannot be judged by this lap in a loew powered car is a bit naive really.

Do you not think Clarkson would think that too?

Sorry, but claiming you could match a professional F1 driver in any sort of car is an extraordinary claim. Their reaction time, speed of thought, judgement and indeed thier ability to know the car's limits are far superior to your average punter. It's what seperated them from other kids in go karts when they were 8 or whatever for a start.

So all them celebs are shit drivers?

Bearing in mind that its the 2nd time they've compiled a list.

I dont know how many but probably close on 100 celebs have done the challenge, I think the fastest is around 1.46?

So all those celebs are shit?

But you could beat an F1 drivers time?

Naive? no.

Crazy....yes!!! :bonk:

Grammer edit, cheers Ed