January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'm not ayews biggest fan but swapping him for lb cover seems a poor decision. 

I was really hoping he'd be sold to fund Rhodes. 

I think Rhodes will still come and any additional money in this swap deal will go towards bringing in Rhodes.

taylor and Rhodes will complete our squad for now in my view and letting ayew go is fine if that's the case.

24 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

That is a poor deal if true and I don't even rate Ayew that high as he can be a headless chicken at times. 

I think Taylor is a decent leftback but that would be a terrible deal by us. Can see Ayew going all Adama on us, if he moved to Swansea.

10 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I think Taylor is a decent leftback but that would be a terrible deal by us. Can see Ayew going all Adama on us, if he moved to Swansea.

What, 0 goals and 0 assists?

Obviously it would need to be Taylor plus money. In which case, I'm not sure I see the difference between Taylor plus £5m and say £10m for Ayew then we go and spend £5m of it on Taylor, which is more like how it will work in reality. 

If it's a straight swap then yeah I think it's a poor deal for us financially. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, macandally said:

It's the old adage that your best players don't always make your best team.  Bruce is building a team and perhaps Ayew thinks he doesn't need one around him!

Totally agree. No doubt ayew has talent but bruce clearly wants to build a team. Its vital with any succesful team that everyone is singing of the same hymn sheet, even more so in this league as everybody is scrapping for those places to the promise land that is the premier league.  Bruce knows we cant afford to have players walking round the pitch with there arse in there hand when the chips are down. I trust him to get it right, he identified we need midfielders and addressed it, Ive no doubt he will do what he thinks best to take us forward.

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What, 0 goals and 0 assists?

Obviously it would need to be Taylor plus money. In which case, I'm not sure I see the difference between Taylor plus £5m and say £10m for Ayew then we go and spend £5m of it on Taylor, which is more like how it will work in reality. 

If it's a straight swap then yeah I think it's a poor deal for us financially. 

He has looked a much better player once he started getting game time, though. 

If we get money, then yes it's better, but agree a straight swap would be awful. 

Thor will probably play LM. If there is any substance to the signing of Taylor then he will, in Bruce's eyes be a more solid alternative to Amavi who will probably be cover for the LB and LM positions until the summer.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

My guess is that Aly will be gone so Taylor & Amavi can compete for LB and cover for each other during injuries, suspensions and hectic fixture schedules. Plus I reckon Bruce may be tempted to try Amavi at LM

Based on absolutely nothing apart from your own hope this happens? As far as I'm aware Bruce has never said anything of this

16 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I've seen a few people write that if we get Rhodes we shouldn't look at it as 10m but look at it as Gestede + 4m.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying this, it smacks of desperation and trying to justify overspending on a player. The Gestede deal is done and gone. If Rhodes cost 10m then thats how much he costs full stop.

Its like those Liverpool supports who say "we didn't spend £35m on Carroll, we got £15m for Torres and got Carroll too" I'm sorry but you didn't, you could have bought anyone for far less, or you could have even waited until the next transfer window and looked for a better deal.

In the same way, we should only buy Rhodes if the deal suits us at the price we can afford. Otherwise get someone else or wait until the summer.

If Bruce sees Rhodes as the man to get the goals then let's get him in now - if we have to pay over the odds to do so then so be it - I don't see the point of waiting till the summer f the player is available now - the creativity now in midfield would give kodija and Rhodes the chances to propel us up the table - the gap is far from insurmountable and a run of wins and momentum could see that gap close quickly - we have 19 games to play - get Rhodes in and let's go for it .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Ayew to Swansea, Taylor to villa, spare money spent on Rhodes.

Does Taylor then become the starting left back with Amavi used as the left midfielder we need? 

Rhodes up top? 

This is how I see it (or at least one of the options Bruce will be thinking of).  I also wouldn't be surprised to see a three at the back at times, with Jedinak dropping back and then having interchangeable wing backs i.e. Bree/Bacuna/Hutton(I know!!)  & Amavi/Taylor.  

I'm not saying it will happen but I do think SB & Co will have identified players to come in that not only improve us as they are better players but also improve the flexibility in the styles of play we can adopt as and when necessary.  We have seen this in the past and nearly every manager will look to change formation to gain an advantage however for too long we have done this by shoe horning players in to positions they are not suited for.  With the squad that we have(and hopefully will have), I think we will start to see much more fluidity and success. Just my opinion anyway!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I read that as the guessing about Aly.

Semantics, anyway I would guess that it's not a bad shout based on the following...

1) We've supposedly turned down a £25m offer for Amavi at the start of this window (ergo we must surely fancy keeping him)
2) We're reportedly ready to swap a decent valued asset for a PL left-back
3) Bruce has played Amavi at LW before

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deadlydion said:

I do think SB & Co will have identified players to come in that not only improve us as they are better players but also improve the flexibility in the styles of play we can adopt as and when necessary. 

But..... But Bruce is an awful dinosaur of a manager who doesn't have a clue....... According to some.  Hmm maybe the 4 times promoted manager does have an idea how to plan after all.