Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, TRO said:

So what should he have done Jim?.....with what he has.

thats not a loaded question, just interested what you think he should have changed.

If he is at fault for me ....is the mental attitude of the players.

Not a clue, I’m not paid millions to make those decisions, but are you telling me he had no other option than to chuck another 2 strikers on and hope for the best? 

If the issue is the mental attitude of the players then why not with a) drop them b ) get to the route cause of the issue and lead them as he is being paid to do?

Bruce must see what we have seen in the 3 games we have lost, if the players aren’t trying. Why? The man is totally inept when it comes to motivating and inspiring this group of players when the going gets tough and he has no idea how to change things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

So what should he have done Jim?.....with what he has.

thats not a loaded question, just interested what you think he should have changed.

If he is at fault for me ....is the mental attitude of the players.

double post

Edited by jim

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

We know on our day we can beat anyone in this league , down to him to get the best from this team in the play offs - there is no way he will be sacked before the season ends .

Yes but at this point I have 0 faith in him to get the best out of them. That’s because aside from a game against wolves & Bristol city (who were running out of steam anyway) he’s failed to get the best out of them again and again. 

Honestly can you see Bruce tactically outwitting Fulham or Cardiff? Never in a million years he needs to go 

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I cannot believe I am saying this but I would play Davis up front maybe with Grabban and then get the ball out wide and into the box quickly as I can see the Cardiff manager running rings around Bruce on Tuesday.

I was thinking the self same thing about Davis......I think we need him in there for the run in.

We need someone to create chaos in the box and take out the oppositions centre halves or at least unsettle them.....we are being negated physically.

I would also look at Samba against Cardiff and Millwall and give one of them a rest.

Neil Warnock has openly admitted, he likes to cause carnage in the box.....last time out Kenneth Zahore ran Chester ragged ably aided by Mendez -Laing.

We have to be ready for that.

Or alternatively just score more goals than them.....but we can't do the either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

bringing in some young, energetic, pacey and hungry players, the likes of Green, Tuanzebe, O'Hare, Davis and RHM might help ignite a much needed revival.

I couldn’t agree more Mark, but I have little confidence that it will happen. We had a few dead rubbers at the end of last season and he failed to do it then. 

I believe that when Bruce is fired/leaves we should go for someone like Pardew, Mark Hughes or my personal favorite Roy Hodgson, as this is the type of managers we have not tried yet. We need to continue to not have any philosophy or long term aim, lets buy more 30+ players on multiple years contracts. 

I really thought that when Xia arrived, he would have looked at our history and would try something new, Bruce is doing the same as every manager we have had ever and is just filling our squad with garbage old boring players, that we are now stuck with. When Bruce finally leaves (which imo cannot be quick enough) we will be stuck with our biggest bomb squad yet, and as we are potentially stuck in the championship now, we will not be able to buy anything at all. It is mind bogling that we are continuing in the same way that has already ruined our club. We tried something new with Garde, and he was not allowed to buy anything and only got around 20 matches. please please fire this garbage manager and try something different. I want bruce fired even if we win the play-offs.

• Like 4

Back on the Bruce out bus if we somehow get up through playoffs or not. So limited and seemingly bereft of alternative plans/tactics once the plan A is not working. Got to go either way. If we get promotion and Fulham don't, hire their manager, if we fail to get promotion get in Dean Smith, used to working on tight budgets, plays good football and Villa man. Whatever - Bruce not done well enough and needa moving on

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Hope someone does something. 

That’s a big worry for me. Old CEO appoints an old manager, who then buys loads of old players.

Xia needs to hit the refresh button big time. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If that is true then what a sad indictment on the manager and players that is. Ultimately on the manager though as he has assembled this squad.

We have the biggest squad in the league. With the biggest wage bill. If we haven't instilled the fight in it to give their all in such huge games with automatic promotion either a very real possibility or a slight glimmer, which it has ranged from over the last handful of games, then again that is on the manager. If we haven't utilised that big and expensively assembled squad so as to ensure that we aren't going into the last month of the season jaded then again that is on the manager.

I have defended him TRO not as much as you have but not far off. If what you are saying is true then I really don't see how you can defend him anymore as if we are done at this stage then the manager has failed miserably.

For what it is worth I think we are capable of coming again and despite being on a downer after such a poor run now is certainly not the time to throw in the towel but it needs some inspiration from somewhere. Perhaps a few rockets up arses by dropping a number of players and bringing in some young, energetic, pacey and hungry players, the likes of Green, Tuanzebe, O'Hare, Davis and RHM might help ignite a much needed revival. 

Mark, you have to understand its just my opinion.

I have defended Steve Bruce as you say on many counts, but mainly because folk make bold or nebulous criticisms that are too general for criticism....I have never thought of him as a Pepe or Mauricio, but more of a safe pair of hands for the position we was in.

Maybe unike you I have issues with the squad.

I think we have some very capable players, but for this league in particular, but I think we have some types of players that we are missing.

I have an issue in the centre of midfield where despite some decent players we fail to dominate like Fulham and Wolves.....We have relied all season on our 2 wingers, who for me now are jaded and weary, both in their 30's.....I think Onomah who is built for this league has been a disappointment for Bruce, that he wasn't expecting.

We have 2 Centre Backs who are fine on their day but at the end of a grueling season look weary too, they both lack pace and tend to sit deep to avoid getting caught our for pace, this then has a knock on effect of leaving huge gaps between them and the midfield which allow space for the opposition to exploit.....for me Mark, they play like a pair of sweepers at times ( I understand that will not go down well with most fans).....I want to see the Laursens and the Mellbergs dominating in the air and pushing on and closing those gaps.....Technically John is superb, James gets caught in possession at times and looks a bit lightweight and cumbersome, not convinced for me.

I also think have an issue up front.

We have some decent players who have scored goals at this level, but we need someone who can lead the line and dominate aerial balls like Glen Murray or Chris Woods, players who can cause disruption in the box to capitalise on knock downs and take out their centre halves.

I could write more on this.

For me Mark, If i was criticising Steve Bruce, I would be more likely to go for the mix of his squad, too many samey players, too many lightweight players for this league, we are not a very big side and at times it shows.

I think it is quite disturbing of how many times we come second in aerial duels, all over the pitch, more than just losing ground it sends out the wrong message in the mental battle for supremacy.

I think we as a team are far too easily compromised, for sure, there have been the odd occasions like against Wolves and Bristol, but it now seems the exception as opposed to the rule.

Imo We are not consistent enough to go up Automatically and our form drops have taken us to lower levels than our opponents have managed to stoop.

I don't know whether Steve Bruce will be here next year, but for me, we need a few more players who are more attuned to the rigours of this league and are able to show an appetite for not allowing the opposition any quarter.

All in All not been convinced all season by mainly the points raised.....but enjoyed one or two great nights.

I have no more than hope for the rest of the season.....but will continue to support the team that includes the Manager until the season ends.

I don't think he will be here next season, but that is not say that i have been grateful for his turn around post RDM.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Mark, you have to understand its just my opinion.

I have defended Steve Bruce as you say on many counts, but mainly because folk make bold or nebulous criticisms that are too general for criticism....I have never thought of him as a Pepe or Mauricio, but more of a safe pair of hands for the position we was in.

Maybe unike you I have issues with the squad.

I think we have some very capable players, but for this league in particular, but I think we have some types of players that we are missing.

I have an issue in the centre of midfield where despite some decent players we fail to dominate like Fulham and Wolves.....We have relied all season on our 2 wingers, who for me now are jaded and weary, both in their 30's

We have 2 Centre Backs who are fine on their day but at the end of a grueling season look weary too, they both lack pace and tend to sit deep to avoid getting caught our for pace, this then has a knock on effect of leaving huge gaps between them and the midfield which allow space for the opposition to exploit.....for me Mark, they play like a pair of sweepers at times ( I understand that will not go down well with most fans).....I want to see the Laursens and the Mellbergs dominating in the air and pushing on and closing those gaps.....Technically John is superb, James gets caught in possession at times and looks a bit lightweight and cumbersome, not convinced for me.

I also think have an issue up front.

We have some decent players who have scored goals at this level, but we need someone who can lead the line and dominate aerial balls like Glen Murray or Chris Woods, players who can cause disruption in the box to capitalise on knock downs and take out their centre halves.

I could write more on this.

For me Mark, If i was criticising Steve Bruce, I would be more likely to go for the mix of his squad, too many samey players, too many lightweight players for this league, we are not a very big side and at times it shows.

I think it is quite disturbing of how many times we come second in aerial duels, all over the pitch, more than just losing ground it sends out the wrong message in the mental battle for supremacy.

I think we as a team are far too easily compromised, for sure, there have been the odd occasions like against Wolves and Bristol, but it now seems the exception as opposed to the rule.

Imo We are not consistent enough to go up Automatically and our form drops have taken us to lower levels than our opponents have managed to stoop.

I don't know whether Steve Bruce will be here next year, but for me, we need a few more players who are more attuned to the rigours of this league and are able to show an appetite for not allowing the opposition any quarter.

All in All not been convinced all season by mainly the points raised.....but enjoyed one or two great nights.

I have no more than hope for the rest of the season.....but will continue to support the team that includes the Manager until the season ends.

I don't think he will be here next season, but that is not say that i have been grateful for his turn around post RDM.

Not for me. If we fail to go up then he has wasted the advantage we had on the rest and who knows the long term damage it could cause. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not for me. If we fail to go up then he has wasted the advantage we had on the rest and who knows the long term damage it could cause. 

wouldn't do for us all to agree.

I still can't believe this fool let one of the most out of form and shambolic scorers score three tiday. Complete and utter disaster I have all but lost any hope he will take us up.

Cheers bruce and thanks to some of the over paid shit like snodgrass putting in crap performances for the last month. If you have given up just go back to West ham

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I still can't believe this fool let one of the most out of form and shambolic scorers score three tiday. Complete and utter disaster I have all but lost any hope he will take us up.

Cheers bruce and thanks to some of the over paid shit like snodgrass putting in crap performances for the last month. If you have given up just go back to West ham

arguably been our best player all season.

The frustration is Monumental, I know......But our team and manager still have a job to do until the season ends.

That reversal today went through the heart......but there have been tell tale signs, that this could happen all through the season.

We have some good players, arguably some the wrong side of 30.....But IMO the squad lacks the right mix to gain Auto Promotion.

Â