Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

People were screaming for o hare to start he did and was pretty shit I heard.

You heard wrong, he was our best player in the first half and was involved in everything good that we did, didnt give the ball away once. In fact the crowd boo'd when Bruce took him off.

If he was "shit" then i'd love to know your description of Onomah today

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So are their any balanced posters on here that think Bruce messed up big time today? 

It sounds like he did but most people posting would have found a way to have a dig at him no matter the result so hard to judge. 

I just don't care that we are out. But I can understand those that went to the game being frustrated. Not sure what they expected though after so many changes. 

I'm annoyed that as a club we treat the FA Cup with contempt. Winning is winning and breeds a good habit around the club

I know the league is the most important thing and players could have got injured today but players injured in training as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So are their any balanced posters on here that think Bruce messed up big time today? 

It sounds like he did but most people posting would have found a way to have a dig at him no matter the result so hard to judge. 

I just don't care that we are out. But I can understand those that went to the game being frustrated. Not sure what they expected though after so many changes. 

I’m no fan of Bruce, and clearly he has to take some responsibilty for today (as he has, in fairness). 

That said, our team and squad should still have had more than enough to win it. We started very quickly and well (first ten minutes) and looked like we could have won it comfortably. But we let them back in, seemed to attack with very little urgency, defended too deep, and waited for the inevitable equaliser to make the two changes (Green, who understandably looked rusty, had already been subbed). 

So Bruce takes his share of the blame for me today, but the players absolutely do too. Ultimately we got what we deserved - and even our much-changed team should not have been guilty of that  

Fwiw, I thought only O’Hare and Steer came out of it with credit

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I mean Bruce has admitted he played too many youngsters and players coming back from injury today, without addressing the part about them playing out of position.

Will this kill our season, no, does this mean our best eleven can't go onto to win the next match and matches after, no probably not (although doubt it did confidence any good amongst the regulars who were involved or will be involved soon).

The issue is we have made losing to lower league clubs in cup competitions a now yearly occurrence, i get why some people are almost numb to this and why the league is always more important, but as fans if we don't feel embarrassed about losing to any club in the cups let alone clubs leagues below us, then we are pretty damaged (not blaming the fans for that as i experience the same apathy) plus usually we lose in the most abject and pathetic of circumstances, like today. 

Plus people like that fat pie faced small heath loving scumbag Barry Fry get to laugh at us, and that is hard to stomach.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

“Doc, sorry I didn’t get us automatic promotion or even finish in a play-off spot, but I did get us through a couple of rounds of the FA Cup.”

Doesn’t matter what we think of Bruce, his remit for Aston Villa could not be clearer.

“Priority one:
Insure return of Aston Villa to the Premiership.
All other considerations secondary.
FA Cup expendable.
"

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You heard wrong, he was our best player in the first half and was involved in everything good that we did, didnt give the ball away once. In fact the crowd boo'd when Bruce took him off.

If he was "shit" then i'd love to know your description of Onomah today

I think your over flatering him there. And no I won't defend onomah either

1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I think it’s entirely possible that the Bristol game was a fluke, the pressed for the first time in Bruce’s tenure. He’s been atrocious against any half decent side up until that result. The game was a late fixture because City had to have a minimum turnover of 48 hours between matches. 

Really let’s be honest can you really see Bruce coming up with a style of play other than hoof ball between now & May? Can you see us beating all the sides currently in the playoff picture? If you do I’ll have what you’re drinking. 

Could be, or maybe it’s not all down to Bruce. Maybe Agnew’s having some impact already. Maybe Clemence was the problem. Agnew’s appointment and the uptick in performance could be coincidental, or could be causal. 

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm annoyed that as a club we treat the FA Cup with contempt. Winning is winning and breeds a good habit around the club

I know the league is the most important thing and players could have got injured today but players injured in training as well. 

Absolutely I totally agree - Bruce  needs to wake up and realise  that the club he is incredibly lucky enough to manage  and is totally way above his ability to manage should not be taking liberties with the FA Cup - let's just call time on this man now and move forward please 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think your over flatering him there. And no I won't defend onomah either

I'm sure others who went to the game will back me up, he was our best player in the first half. I'm sure fans wouldn't have boo'd at the decision of him being taken off if they thought he was having a "shit game" as you put it

Just now, Dave J said:

Absolutely I totally agree - Bruce  needs to wake up and realise  that the club he is incredibly lucky enough to manage  and is totally way above his ability to manage should not be taking liberties with the FA Cup - let's just call time on this man now and move forward please 

I never said call time on him ;) Ultimately the league is the key thing and we are reasonably well placed at present. Pressure on for the next game what with resting the first team. If we don't win there will be rumbles of discontent. 

I think as a club, we've been shit in the cups for years. Its almost as if we don't care anymore. How many times have we lost to lower league teams in the last 10 years or so? Loads of times. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I never said call time on him ;) Ultimately the league is the key thing and we are reasonably well placed at present. Pressure on for the next game what with resting the first team. If we don't win there will be rumbles of discontent. 

I think as a club, we've been shit in the cups for years. Its almost as if we don't care anymore. How many times have we lost to lower league teams in the last 10 years or so? Loads of times. 

Sorry I wasn't suggesting you were saying call time on him  - that's my view  for what it's worth 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'm sure others who went to the game will back me up, he was our best player in the first half. I'm sure fans wouldn't have boo'd at the decision of him being taken off if they thought he was having a "shit game" as you put it

You're right. Our best player by a mile. Didn't lose the ball, passing was always accurate, some intelligent moves and runs.. And seemed like he wanted to play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I honestly despair at reactions like this. Really shows how deluded some fans are. I guess we all see what we want to see.

It was without any doubt whatsoever "a total fluke". Utterly pointless to argue otherwise. Have we seen any other similar display thus far, these last 15 months under Bruce? NO. Have we seen any other display that's come even close? Again NO. I'm not even going to bother getting into how Bristol where not really up for it. But please do tell, how was that game anything else than a fluke? If in a few weeks we've matched that performance several times, then you might have a point, and then I'll gladly admit I was wrong. 

I'll judge the Bristol City result along with the next 5 or 6 games to see whether it was a fluke or not. Could be a turning point or could be an anomaly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I'll judge the Bristol City result along with the next 5 or 6 games to see whether it was a fluke or not. Could be a turning point or could be an anomaly. 

Absolutely, and that's why I'm saying, as of today, it was a fluke.

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fluke is the wrong word. It makes it sound like we were lucky to win 5-0. 

One off or an anomaly would be better word to use imo.

Okay, English isn't my first language. Obviously I wasn't in any way suggesting we were lucky to win that game. We played superbly and fully deserved the comfortable victory. 

• Like 1

Â