Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, pacbuddies said:

I don't recall 'moaning' as you put it. I made a simple comment. If you want to read something else into it because it suits your agenda for wanting an argument with someone then fill your boots.

Sounded like a moan to me.

But well done on avoiding answering my post :) 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok but if we are talking about Villatalk then I think you might be confusing lowering expectations with what is deemed acceptable by fans.

This.

I think the confusion is coming from @pacbuddies (mis)use of the word "expectations". 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok but if we are talking about Villatalk then I think you might be confusing lowering expectations with what is deemed acceptable by fans.

I don't think any fans are happy to accept playoffs. But we have to except that's as good as it wll get this season.  

Making the playoffs is not acceptable. You don't get anything for making the playoffs. Promotion is the only acceptable result. Anything else is failure

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

I think the confusion is coming from @pacbuddies (mis)use of the word "expectations". 

No, I used the word 'expectations' quite correctly because people have lowered their expectations. You are the one that is confused because you think I am moaning. Give up now because you won't win.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Making the playoffs is not acceptable. You don't get anything for making the playoffs. Promotion is the only acceptable result. Anything else is failure

I don't think anybody thinks it's acceptable. But it's what is expected at the very least because top 2 looks outa reach. 

I agree nothing but promotion is acceptable. 

12 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

No, I used the word 'expectations' quite correctly because people have lowered their expectations. You are the one that is confused because you think I am moaning. Give up now because you won't win.

So are you saying you currently EXPECT us to finish in the top 2 this season?

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Nobody is saying the playoffs are acceptable. 

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So are you saying you currently EXPECT us to finish in the top 2 this season?

I don't even expect us to get promoted this season and with Bruce in charge that would be a blessing because we are so far away from PL quality that if we got promoted next season would be similar to the 2015/2016 season and I don't particularly ever want to witness such abject failure again.

30 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Just so i'm able to follow this 'promotion or failure' narrative. Is this a fan made narrative or did someone at Villa say that at the start of the season?

All the talk all summer was that the target was promotion. If you don't achieve that target is that not failure? Do you think the owner would consider another year trying to get promoted as achieving the goals set out?

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

All the talk all summer was that the target was promotion. If you don't achieve that target is that not failure? Do you think the owner would consider another year trying to get promoted as achieving the goals set out?

I'm not questioning any of that. I was merely asking is the promotion or failure narrative something the club has come out with or is it something fans have come up with.

1 minute ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'm not questioning any of that. I was merely asking is the promotion or failure narrative something the club has come out with or is it something fans have come up with.

"I think next season is very important. I'm not going to shy away from it - next season is a big one for us," he told Sky Sports

"We can't get away from that at all. We want to do everything we can next season to go up. It will be an important season, we have got a great squad, there will be no excuses for us not to go up."

The words of our CEO last year. 

Sounds to me that it would be considered failure if we don't go up

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

"I think next season is very important. I'm not going to shy away from it - next season is a big one for us," he told Sky Sports

"We can't get away from that at all. We want to do everything we can next season to go up. It will be an important season, we have got a great squad, there will be no excuses for us not to go up."

The words of our CEO last year. 

Sounds to me that it would be considered failure if we don't go up

Cheers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Dr Tony has also spoke about the target of averaging 2 points a game.

I think the actual quote was that it was two points a game in order to achieve automatic promotion.

Xia's target for last year was promotion, and his target in June 2016 was European football within 5 years.  Not getting promotion again this year would clearly be incompatible with his stated targets.  The expectation has clearly come from him, rather than just being on the part of fans.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

I don't even expect us to get promoted this season and with Bruce in charge that would be a blessing because we are so far away from PL quality that if we got promoted next season would be similar to the 2015/2016 season and I don't particularly ever want to witness such abject failure again.

So you’ve lowered your expectations. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So you’ve lowered your expectations. 

Well that would depend on what my expectations were at the start of the season so I will tell you.

1. Based on the number of players coming in and the amount of money spent since Bruce took over I expected automatic promotion.

2. With Steve Bruce as manager I expected failure.

As '2' is the dominant factor here then you should be able to work out what my expectations were and still are.

Â