Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Continuity means a lot in football

I looked at Barnsley's formation for the previous 5 games it was the same

Superior team cohesion no wonder they blew us off the park why do we overthink and overcomplicate things

Strategy Steve failing miserably

Why the need for the pathetic name calling?

Most people who want him gone have been calling for 442 for a while. So Bruce plays it and he is criticised for changing the team (not saying he bowed down to peer pressure).

Games recently have had the same pattern irrelevant of the formation. We start fairly brightly, have a few chances, don't score and heads drop, allowing teams to take advantage. 

Obviously Bruce need to improve motivation and  thus results, that is what he is paid to do. But this is a massive job to turn around and I think given time Bruce is the type of manager we need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

What is our record when Gardner has played this season? Presumably we have lost most of them..............

7 wins, 7 draws and 3 defeats in games he's played in. (1 win and 3 draws he was a late sub, played less than 10 minutes)

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why the need for the pathetic name calling?

Most people who want him gone have been calling for 442 for a while. So Bruce plays it and he is criticised for changing the team (not saying he bowed down to peer pressure).

Games recently have had the same pattern irrelevant of the formation. We start fairly brightly, have a few chances, don't score and heads drop, allowing teams to take advantage. 

Obviously Bruce need to improve motivation and  thus results, that is what he is paid to do. But this is a massive job to turn around and I think given time Bruce is the type of manager we need.

It's theoretically all opinion but I do believe the majority of people who suggest 4-4-2, don't have a good enough understanding of the players we have and their suitability to roles in that formation. Unless of course they refer to a narrow diamond being a 4-1-2-1-2. 

One thing that will be affecting the players input at the moment will be Bruce's lack of continuity. Despite how much they are paid it's a natural human instinct if a leader does not portray a clear idea/plan for them to then decrease output, some of it subconsciously. Performing at 10% lower than your capabilities is huge.

I am sure that players will be lookimg round asking what the hell is going on. All these different formations and systems being tested, no consistent team sheet. This will create a lot of doubt in players minds, and automatically lessen the desire, effort, overall output if only by a small amount. To me the players are playing like they don't fully believe in the ideas of our current management team, and why would they. 

• Like 1

Regardless of manager I hope we never play 4-4-2.

It is possibly the hardest and most demanding tactic to get right in today's game and we are not even close to having the right players for it.

• Like 1

I'd still give Bruce time to sort this mess out . One thing I do want him to do is find us a leader on the pitch , nasty and intimidating will do . I never see any type of bollockings going on , however deserved they may be . Can't imagine the likes of Mortimer , Staunton ,Townsend tolerating , not just the performances , but the attitudes of these tossers wearing OUR colours 

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yesterday weren't 4-4-2, at least it didn't look like it to me.

Kodjia was wide left, Grealish looked in a more advanced central role. Lansbury was deep. Apparently Hourihane played.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Regardless of manager I hope we never play 4-4-2.

It is possibly the hardest and most demanding tactic to get right in today's game and we are not even close to having the right players for it.

Most annoying thing is Twitter is full of people spamming AVFC related stuff demanding we play 4-4-2, mainly 15 year olds who don't have a clue. 

Like you say, it's now the most demanding formation in world football. Leicester will be the only team in recent history/near future to have success with it because they had the most combative midfielder on the planet. Stats that aren't measured on opta that go unnoticed are things like the intensity of distance covered in a game. For example Lallana covers similar distance to Kante in games but the intensity he keeps up on the press is obsurd compared to any other player. We don't have the players to play like this. It was different when it was 4-4-2 against 4-4-2, with a big man little man up too etc, it's all different now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

he started off with a good run of wins and added impetus to the team/club.....

The trouble is most of the wins he had if I remember rightly were pretty crap performances.  We snuck a win here and there mostly by luck.  That's fine,but I don't think he has ever had the team playing really 'well'.

It should gradually be getting better and better, but it's not.

The football was never going to be great under him,  but who cares if he got us up. 

The biggest issue for me is every game we come out in the second half looking worse than the first. He just can't change tactics or inspire the players.

Contrast this with MON,  who had his faults, yes,  but if we went in losing they would look like  different team coming out second half. Ive seen some remarkable turnarounds from him,  the opposite under bruce.

What do we do?

No idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

If people think we are a laughing stock as it is wait until we get rid of the manager that has 4 promotions already to his name .Its a big job to turn Villa around much bigger than I thought it would be look results are shocking we are struggling I think the majority of the problem is confidence within the club when things start to go wrong it snowballs players look like they have no belief in themselves ,football is a confidence game we are certainly not as bad as we are playing and our signings haven't become bad players overnight it's rubbish at the moment but we just have to ride out the storm stick with Bruce and we will be a better team in the long run for it.

I think we are a laughingstock already and getting worse with each match.  We are holding on to the rail for stability while the ship sinks.   Not a bright plan

bruce out. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Yesterday weren't 4-4-2, at least it didn't look like it to me.

Kodjia was wide left, Grealish looked in a more advanced central role. Lansbury was deep. Apparently Hourihane played.

Which is why all the talk of formations is people arranging deck chairs.   There is no organization to the team. 

Bruce out

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I think we are a laughingstock already and getting worse with each match.  We are holding on to the rail for stability while the ship sinks.   Not a bright plan

bruce out. 

I cannot see the benefit of us changing the manager again we are going nowhere if changing the manager every time we are struggling Bruce was the right man 2 months ago results have been rubbish but it will change it will just take time 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Upper north stander said:

Stat of the day......

apologies if this has been posted I haven't looked back at the last few pages

our team last night cost to assemble 77 million 

barnsley haven't spent 77 million on transfers in their entire history.

How £77m? Surely it was more like £60m?

2 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I cannot see the benefit of us changing the manager again we are going nowhere if changing the manager every time we are struggling Bruce was the right man 2 months ago results have been rubbish but it will change it will just take time 

He wasn't the right man two months ago. Name me one convincing performance for 90 minutes this season bar Rotherham? 

Our earlier wins were lucky and unconvincing, we've not had one single 'excellent' performance all season, or even just to a 'very good' level, it's a joke. 

• Like 2

Some of the names being thrown around are depressing. On second thought, i'll keep Bruce. Lol

I actually had a think tonight and wondered if Bruce was actually one of the preferred choices from start of season. Could also aid to explaining his promt Hull deoarture.

But got overridden by Tony?

Then again it was actually Pearson wasn't it?

We need to find a way to get Lansbury, Hourihane in areas where they can cause damage.  I would go 4-5-1 and remember, your best players are not always your best Team!!

Bunn

Bree.              Chester.       Baker.              Taylor

Gardner/Calder

Adomah        Lansbury                Hourihane           Green

Hogan

Hogan is probably controversial but he can both run in behind and more importantly hold it up when he has to.  Kodgia is one man team at times!!

Honestly, I cannot fathom how people can realistically expect things to improve under Bruce - there is no indication of this and the longer we are waiting the more danger we are putting ourselves in, it is just getting worse and the embarrassment continues to increase.

His record or history really doesn't mean anything right now because it is just not working, he doesn't know what do and is lost as is the team under his regime. His performance during his time here does not reflect on that record for whatever reason.

Nothing against the guy but this hasn't worked out, he is not the right fit for our club. As unfortunate as that may appear, he just has to go before we could actually get RELEGATED!!!

We are on a terrible decline and there is no sign of an end in sight, I cannot see where the next win is going to come from unless we make a change. We could actually go winless on to the end of the season, that can't be allowed to happen, not even risked...

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

For me 451 or what I call the spurs model

4-2-3-1

bree chester baker taylor

bjarnason jedi

adomah lansbury hourihane

hogan

This would pack the midfield, make.us damn hard to beat. It would  allow lansbury and hourihane to play in danger areas. 

On the bench -you have Kodjia, green, amavi, gardner,  rhm , hutton

• Like 2

Â