Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

From Ross McCormack:

"The stuff about the gaffer jumping the fence and us having a blazing row is complete nonsense."

But he did admit that Bruce made a personal visit to McCormack's house to check out the facts.

"He came round to have a look at the gates," said McCormack. "He didn't stop. He didn't get out of the car.

"You don't get much signal in the house so I was standing at the top window on the phone trying to get it fixed and I've seen him pull up and drive away."

Really Steve. How about spending more time on the training pitch with your team and sorting out your your medieval tactics. Honestly I'm struggling to see how this is going to end well for Villa or Bruce.

1 minute ago, USA_Villa said:

From Ross McCormack:

"The stuff about the gaffer jumping the fence and us having a blazing row is complete nonsense."

But he did admit that Bruce made a personal visit to McCormack's house to check out the facts.

"He came round to have a look at the gates," said McCormack. "He didn't stop. He didn't get out of the car.

"You don't get much signal in the house so I was standing at the top window on the phone trying to get it fixed and I've seen him pull up and drive away."

Really Steve. How about spending more time on the training pitch with your team and sorting out your your medieval tactics. Honestly I'm struggling to see how this is going to end well for Villa or Bruce.

Perhaps he was checking to see if the Ross had a problem, either mental health or addiction.
In that light I don't think you'd say he did the wrong thing.

8 hours ago, striker said:

I also strongly disagree that it is the fans that have to change. Do you expect the fan base to applaud more of the same from a manager who has a track record of promotions yet has presided over a plethora of performances that would have made McLeish proud?

It isn't the fans who are picking the team or employing tactics either that have arguably cost the club points against teams most would expect Villa to beat by showing a little more ambition on the pitch.

Neither McClaren nor Lambert have needed time or the fans to change to improve results at their respective clubs.

I'm not advocating the removal of Bruce yet but I and other fans should be able to voice their disapproval at recent results culminating in being stuffed by Brentford rather than being told we are the ones who need to change.

I don't think I quite explained what I was trying to say in terms of the change in the fans. I'm not expecting anyone to turn happy-clappy, I'm expecting criticism where it's due, and there will be times where it's due, where I think we have to change is in our expectation of how criticism will work and what bad performances teach us.

In recent years, a bad result, or a couple, has tended to suggest that our quite insane club was petering on the edge of yet another catastrophic precipice, that the poor stuff on the pitch reflected the poor stuff off the pitch and would inevitably lead to something really awful. A couple of bad results has tended to lead to a calamity, a run of poor form a catastrophe - not just on the pitch, but off it too. Players moaning, coaches in trouble, no money, problems of every kind and description. Years of that have taken their toll.

I think it's left us with very few steps between "I'm slightly unhappy" and "burn everything to the ground". I'm not saying fans need to change in that there needs to be a sudden rainbow of positivity - when we play like we did against Brentford, then any team would expect some fairly harsh criticism, any manager should expect the same - but, and here's the big but that I didn't explain well - I think we've stopped floundering in lots and lots of ways, we're much less an insane asylum and much more a football club, we've got investment, we've got a better structure, we've got some sensible things going on - I think finally, like most clubs, a handful of bad results or a period of poor form is just indicative of exactly that, poor form and bad days, I don't think it means that the Villa world is about to disappear into hell (again) in a whirlpool of poop. 

I think that's where we need to change, I think we've trained ourselves to expect the absolute worst from any given situation, because that's what we've had - and as a result, we've lost a little of our critical faculty and we jump right in at the first sign of trouble because we expect things to get worse in every eventuality. When they're bad we should say so, that's natural, but when they're bad we should sell them all and sack the manager is a path we jump onto a little too quickly. 

The club has changed, it's more stable, it's better funded and as a result better organised - we should take a little confidence from that I think, and from that confidence a little calm. We can afford to be critical without needing to invoke the apocalypse.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

From Ross McCormack:

Spot on, there must be plenty of other staff Bruce could've sent around if he was that concerned. And if there wasn't anyone at Villa he could trust to do it, then that would be an even bigger issue.

4 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Spot on, there must be plenty of other staff Bruce could've sent around if he was that concerned. And if there wasn't anyone at Villa he could trust to do it, then that would be an even bigger issue.

I dunno, I think Bruce personally going around is better then sending a minion, sends out a signal to all the other players too that they better have a good reason to miss training otherwise they will get found out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Roberto Di Matteo who won the champions league? Steve Bruce who has won.........?

Bloody hell thats a blinkered way of looking at it, a really weak argument. 

What I find odd is that we have accused every manager we have had since I think Houllier of not having a clue with regards to tactics. 

I think if we had the ultimate tactician and tinkerer we would still say they are clueless etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

Bruce will be under huge pressure from the start regardless.

Bruce was under huge pressure the day he walked through the door as did the others mainly due to years of demise.

but what shite we have had in the past is not their fault.....its a burden we must live with.

we must give a manager time to do this job.

24 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

What I find odd is that we have accused every manager we have had since I think Houllier of not having a clue with regards to tactics. 

I think if we had the ultimate tactician and tinkerer we would still say they are clueless etc. 

I don't

I think that is the root of the problem thou.

We've had a long line of "motivators" or tactically limited managers along with a squad of players who are not motivated and or tactically limited.

Edited by sne

25 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

ha ha.....I have often thought that:)

1 hour ago, USA_Villa said:

From Ross McCormack:

Are you seriously criticisIng our manager for actually showing what a liar and a fraud McCormack is? :huh:

About time a manager showed a bit of disicipline and that he won't take players taking the piss anymore. You can slate bruce for the football recent form etc but for this I found absolutely ridiculous 

Hats off to bruce I say for having the balls to do it himself and getting rid of potential cancerous players from the dressing room. We don't need anymore lescotts and not  n zogbias

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Are you seriously criticisIng our manager for actually showing what a liar and a fraud McCormack is? :huh:

About time a manager showed a bit of disicipline and that he won't take players taking the piss anymore. You can slate bruce for the football recent form etc but for this I found absolutely ridiculous 

Hats off to bruce I say for having the balls to do it himself and getting rid of potential cancerous players from the dressing room. We don't need anymore lescotts and not  n zogbias

I would call it "attention to detail"

Yeah, sacking him is mad at this stage. Especially if you're having to use an article from what, 6 years ago to back up your claim that it's the right thing to do.

He's got to turn it around, fast, but he should be afforded that opportunity. The season is over for us as a competition. 

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

What? 

Come off it. He's being the boss, that's literally his job. 

Plenty of sticks to beat him with at the moment, picking up that one is ridiculous. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What? 

Come off it. He's being the boss, that's literally his job. 

Plenty of sticks to beat him with at the moment, picking up that one is ridiculous. 

No, his job is to run is to put a team and tactics together that will get us out of this awful division. It's not to worry about if the gates are stuck or not.

10 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Complete myth, no such thing as "new manager bounce" players don't magically play better for no reason.

My point wasn't really about whether new manager bounces actually exist, it was more that neither RDM or SB have got anywhere near enough from the set of players they had/have. And to be frank..... In terms of SB, you don't seem to have an answer to that.

Â