Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I agree. What option does Bruce have next game? I would like to see Taylor and Bree come in, Grealish return and Jedinak back in - but that would still mean two players having their first game, 3 if you put Hogan on, and then another 2/3 having only their second and third games for us - we will not see a team performance for a while yet and it's time to drop any expectations and treat the rest of this season as one long training exercise. 

Exactly. Focus on performance and results will take care of themselves. 

I find it amusing how people think a competely new midfield after less than a week go training will blitz a team that has been playing together over a year. I'm not happy but come on guys, lets keep it real. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I agree. What option does Bruce have next game? I would like to see Taylor and Bree come in, Grealish return and Jedinak back in - but that would still mean two players having their first game, 3 if you put Hogan on, and then another 2/3 having only their second and third games for us - we will not see a team performance for a while yet and it's time to drop any expectations and treat the rest of this season as one long training exercise. 

I think we need to keep playing the same team who is considering our best 11 until they can learn to play with each other. Constantly chopping and changing is not going to help the situation. 

• Like 2

The first 5-10 games Bruce got lucky and nicked a few wins. I then expected performances to have improved and for us to go on a run to at least the top 10 places. It is somewhat alarming that we have slipped back so much and have become so easy to beat away from home.  He has a blank canvas and vast resources at this level so really Bruce should be delivering more now than the odd home win and the regular away defeats.

If we limp over the line this season and finish in the bottom half there will be so much pressure on Bruce come August that if we start slowly I can see yet another managerial change at Villa come October. And then we start again going around and around...... 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Spot on

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I can't agree with this to be honest - if we had gone for say Eddie Howe do you think we would be witnessing such negative football ?

Honestly? Yes. I remember Lambert for example was a very attacking manager before he came here but by the end we were playing ultra-defensive stuff. I think the really defensive football we always end up playing is a byproduct of the weakness.

• Like 1

18 games to get the players fully functioning as one unit, as a team, and with every player knowing their exact role, tactics, formation.

Could you also win a few games during that period, so we can start to build confidence ready for next season.

Over to you Bruce.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Honestly? Yes. I remember Lambert for example was a very attacking manager before he came here but by the end we were playing ultra-defensive stuff. I think the really defensive football we always end up playing is a byproduct of the weakness.

I actually agree with you about Lambert but the difference being that Lamberts remit was to keep us in the premier league on a budget - hence the pragmatic style of football- Bruce's remit is to get us out of this league and I'm afraid this pragmatic football will not get us anywhere near this target. Speculate to accumulate would be my mantra 

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

I actually agree with you about Lambert but the difference being that Lamberts remit was to keep us in the premier league on a budget - hence the pragmatic style of football- Bruce's remit is to get us out of this league and I'm afraid this pragmatic football will not get us anywhere near this target. Speculate to accumulate would be my mantra 

I maintain that Lambert was a good manager and if he had had the backing of Xia during his time here we would be in a very different position than we are now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

I'm not even defending it, just saying that we'd probably be playing this kind of football even if we had Howe.

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I maintain that Lambert was a good manager and if he had had the backing of Xia during his time here we would be in a very different position than we are now.

Yep I agree with you 

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm not even defending it, just saying that we'd probably be playing this kind of football even if we had Howe.

But would we really- surely to achieve promotion you have to play some form of expansive and risk taking football at some stage - surely?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

God things must be bad if people are talking about how good Lambert could have been.

As much as i disliked Lambert i think he would do a better job than Bruce with the players we now have.

He'd at least get us to play some kind of pressing football

Just enjoying watching Watford taking the game to Arsenal.

Those saying new players need time are correct but it isn't the point. 

I don't want to see them bedded in to how we were set up today, how we've been set up for weeks. I want to see us go out and try to take games to sides, win some games '4-3 'and lose some' 4-3.' Not literally of course but our approach is feeble.

Even against Spurs where many let him off we were so timid. Look how Wycombe went after them.

Govimg him time is right but he needs to show evidence, quickly, that he can get an aggressive attacking performance out of the Team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Just saying - do you remember his Norwich promotion winning teams? Total joy to watch

I remember his record breaking losing team that made me stop watching any football. 

The kind of football that started this giant losing mentality snowball 

• Like 3

Â