Classic Ads on TV

trekka

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

A memorable slogan - including the name of the product - is essential. 

There's an ad that currently shows incessantly on some of the 'property programme' channels. It features an animated log of wood talking about how to get a good night's sleep, in various mildly amusing scenarios. I've seen it scores, maybe even hundreds of times. I assume it's advertising mattresses, but the name of the product? I have no idea.

Fail. 

Yep I know this series of adverts. Likewise I’ve seen it hundreds of times, typically as a show sponsor (so twice in an advert break - start and end) but equally I wasn’t 100% sure of the company.

Knowing it was sleep oriented, I would have guessed Dreams beds. A quick search suggests this is correct. 

The thing that always leaps out at me is I think the advert voiceover (the talking tree stump) sounds a lot like John Goodman. It’s been plaguing me if they’ve deliberately set out to find someone who has a similar folky, gentle voice, like a friendly bear, that John Goodman can do.

Apparently it is John Goodman.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Was VT talking about Guinness recently? I think we were.

Anyway, it put me in mind of this advert. My (pre teen/teen) recollection was that in the mid 90’s Murphy’s kinda went for it in terms of marketing, trying to go toe to toe with Guinness.

Caffrey's also went big on adverts at roughly the same time. 

The drink was everywhere at that point. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

When I boarded our loft about 10 years ago I stumbled across a "Watch out there's a Humphrey About" drinks mat. 

I was immediately transported to my childhood. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Looking back on old ads makes you realize that people are easily duped into buying any old sh*t and people are willing to try and b***sh*t you to high heaven to make you buy any old sh*t.

I've never bought a pint of Murphys or Caffreys in my life. 

But then I have tasted Guinness so merely a clever marketing campaign isn't going to cut it for me to buy anything that's remotely similar to that shite. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've never bought a pint of Murphys or Caffreys in my life. 

But then I have tasted Guinness so merely a clever marketing campaign isn't going to cut it for me to buy anything that's remotely similar to that shite. 

Brand awareness is a big part of it. 

If you've never tried Stout before, and want to try it, when you go into the shop and you've only heard of Guiness via the ads, then most people will go for that one. 

If you already drink Guiness, then it's less likely to sway you, and tbh the ads probably aren't for you. 

I think this is maybe my second fave classic ad. I must have been about 15 and already zany and I found it hilarious, as did a few of my school friends who were also zany. We were still quoting it now and then in our A level year.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Another Guinness one. Less arty. Cheating, but done in a charming way.

One from when I were a lad…I’m almost certain I heard this before I heard the Squeeze original so it was a pleasant surprise to learn that it was a proper song.

Like the advert’s protagonist, I remember ten year old me having a crush on the girl he’s trying to win over through the unlikely route of milk.

• Like 2

I remember this classic from way back when.

Not sure what I was more fascinated by, The Bedford CF zooming at 90mph or Mel Sykes looking awesome.

Spoiler

I know Bedfords don't go that fast - well, ours didn't when we owned one! 😒

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markc said:

Reminded of these today on twitter. 9 years ago today since he passed😔

:< He was so funny... Rik from the Young Ones is one of the funniest characters ever! Then again, so are Neil and Vivian. Absolutely hilarious. (Mike could be quite funny sometimes too, in his own different way).

Edited by robby b
  • Like 2

Â