Classic Ads on TV

trekka

• 3 years later...
22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Another rep-mobile from the early 90's

I used to work for Vauxhall and Nissan in the early 90's.  I drove cars all their cars all day long. 

This was a really good car and I remember it well,  the 4x4 worked well (for grip) but the steering was a bit weird iirc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I used to work for Vauxhall and Nissan in the early 90's.  I drove cars all their cars all day long. 

This was a really good car and I remember it well,  the 4x4 worked well (for grip) but the steering was a bit weird iirc.

I'm a big fan of 80s and 90s Vauxhalls. Dad had a couple of Senators and I had a mk3 Cavalier. Good cars!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a big fan of 80s and 90s Vauxhalls. Dad had a couple of Senators and I had a mk3 Cavalier. Good cars!

Astra GTE's were a right laugh,  had a semi digital read out I think ?

Lotus Charlton

2.5 Charlton

Bluebird Turbo's underrated brilliant car.

300ZX

200sx

All Lotus's

I drove most things around that time,  it was ace.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Yeah, it had an LCD dash. As did the Senator mark 1 my Dad had. Like a spaceship!

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Lotus Charlton

2.5 Charlton

Sir Bobby or Jackie? 😂

Lotus Carlton was just insane, many a track day thanks to my Dad working for Vauxhall.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Opel or Vauxhall?

Vauxhall 

I think the Vauxhall versions were called Royale initially, but when the facelifted model came out it became the Senator. 

Anyhoo, it was one of these in dark grey.

9584397.jpg

Afterwards he had the mark 2 in this very colour, but he never liked it as much as the older one. 

vauxhall-senator-vauxhall-senator-3-0-24

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Was VT talking about Guinness recently? I think we were.

Anyway, it put me in mind of this advert. My (pre teen/teen) recollection was that in the mid 90’s Murphy’s kinda went for it in terms of marketing, trying to go toe to toe with Guinness.

Obviously not how it panned out, but the “But like the Murphy’s…I’m not bitter” slogan is fairly durable I think, so it must have done something right. I rather like this wistful charm of this in contrast to the (also good) arty Guinness surfers/horses advert around the same time.

• Like 1

A memorable slogan - including the name of the product - is essential. 

There's an ad that currently shows incessantly on some of the 'property programme' channels. It features an animated log of wood talking about how to get a good night's sleep, in various mildly amusing scenarios. I've seen it scores, maybe even hundreds of times. I assume it's advertising mattresses, but the name of the product? I have no idea.

Fail. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â