Nintendo Switch

Chindie

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Just had a good blast on Mario Golf Super Rush, hadn’t played it yet and was looking forward to it but good lord it’s bland as ****. It’s all so clean and sterile both to play and look at. Somehow they’ve made a game full of Mario characters lack just that, character. The courses are shite as well. I loved Mario Golf all the way to the GameCube. This though? Meh. Boring. Gonna trade it in. 

Pretty much how I feel about Mario Party as well (the new Superstars looks good though). Switch-era Mario is really bland.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Just had a good blast on Mario Golf Super Rush, hadn’t played it yet and was looking forward to it but good lord it’s bland as ****. It’s all so clean and sterile both to play and look at. Somehow they’ve made a game full of Mario characters lack just that, character. The courses are shite as well. I loved Mario Golf all the way to the GameCube. This though? Meh. Boring. Gonna trade it in. 

I have it and its not great. The running mode on the trailer looked really good but after playing it is pretty shit

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Pretty much how I feel about Mario Party as well (the new Superstars looks good though). Switch-era Mario is really bland.

The superstars is excellent. Id recommend that although they should have more boards than they do which is disappointing 

Hopefully some more charchters and additional boards may be added later. But the mini games are fantastic 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The superstars is excellent. Id recommend that although they should have more boards than they do which is disappointing 

Hopefully some more charchters and additional boards may be added later. But the mini games are fantastic 

Yeah the selection of boards and mini-games looks fantastic. It's kind of sad and predictable that the best Mario Party game in a decade had to be one that was essentially just a "Greatest Hits" compilation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2022 at 21:22, Dodgyknees said:

I love SM games. Have you played Odyssey? It’s absolutely fantastic. 

Have since got this and completed it. Good game, but LM 3 is vastly superior.

(Jr. probably preferred Odyssey, to be fair 😊

Started Skyward Sword.

It's completely constrained by it's controls, sadly. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but blimey even in 2hrs play I'm fighting the controls. The race with the bird was awful, and every time it asks you to raise the sword directly up I'm having to fumble with it. You're resetting the centre constantly.

Despite that I expected it to be far worse than it is, and you can see the BotW touches on it everywhere (not least of which, stamina meter). It still feels... awkward, a Zelda without a real overworld, but theres potential for it to be very good. Sadly it might have truly brilliant if it didn't control like arse.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

Started Skyward Sword.

It's completely constrained by it's controls, sadly. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but blimey even in 2hrs play I'm fighting the controls. The race with the bird was awful, and every time it asks you to raise the sword directly up I'm having to fumble with it. You're resetting the centre constantly.

Despite that I expected it to be far worse than it is, and you can see the BotW touches on it everywhere (not least of which, stamina meter). It still feels... awkward, a Zelda without a real overworld, but theres potential for it to be very good. Sadly it might have truly brilliant if it didn't control like arse.

I'm not sure what the controls are like on the Switch (if I'm not mistaken, the joy-cons should have better gyro tech than the Wii?), but there's always the option to forego the motion controls completely if you want. That said, I found them to be pretty seamless on the Wii version.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not sure what the controls are like on the Switch (if I'm not mistaken, the joy-cons should have better gyro tech than the Wii?), but there's always the option to forego the motion controls completely if you want. That said, I found them to be pretty seamless on the Wii version.

I may be wrong, but while the Joycons have better tech in them, the Wii has a fixed reference point in the sensor bar that helps with tracking, while the Joycon is solely reliant on gyro tracking, so you regularly have to essentially recalibrate things. And I believe if you do the controller method you have limited camera controls, so are constantly hitting the realign camera button to see what the hell is going on, because the right stick is allocated to the sword.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I may be wrong, but while the Joycons have better tech in them, the Wii has a fixed reference point in the sensor bar that helps with tracking, while the Joycon is solely reliant on gyro tracking, so you regularly have to essentially recalibrate things. And I believe if you do the controller method you have limited camera controls, so are constantly hitting the realign camera button to see what the hell is going on, because the right stick is allocated to the sword.

Oh wow, that's really disappointing. That makes me not want to pick this up now unless it goes on sale for dirt cheap.

Thinking about it though, with the controller method, those controls sound like traditional Zelda, ie: Z-targeting to fix the camera. I've always personally found that to be better than manually adjusting the camera with the right stick or triggers to be honest. Assuming it realigns the camera properly that is.

Tried a bit of Skyward Sword with the non-motion controls. It's better in some ways but the camera control being relegated to tapping the Z targeting all the time feels like your arm's been cut off or you've gone back in time 2 decades. And reliably doing a vertical slash is impossible.

It's such a shame. Playing this I can help wondering what it would have been like if they'd ditched the idea, given us button focused combat and a traditional Zelda format. I get that they use the motion controls in puzzles and make all the combat into puzzles in the same manner, but I don't know how much I gain from waving my arm around versus what I lose in just enjoyment playing.

Further investigation reveals you can control the camera with the right stick with pad controls. But only when you're holding the L button. So to play on the pad like any modern third person game you have to be constantly holding LB.

Oh, Nintendo.

It’s really not that bad once you get used to it. Holding L becomes second nature. It’s not ideal but they didn’t really have any choice given that so many puzzles and fights are based around specific directional sword slashes. The right stick worked perfectly for me. 

I didn’t think much of it years ago when I played it on the Wii but really enjoyed it this time round. Definitely worth persevering with for some really, really good dungeons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JB said:

It’s really not that bad once you get used to it. Holding L becomes second nature. It’s not ideal but they didn’t really have any choice given that so many puzzles and fights are based around specific directional sword slashes. The right stick worked perfectly for me. 

I didn’t think much of it years ago when I played it on the Wii but really enjoyed it this time round. Definitely worth persevering with for some really, really good dungeons.

Best in the series imo.

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Oh wow, that's really disappointing. That makes me not want to pick this up now unless it goes on sale for dirt cheap.

Thinking about it though, with the controller method, those controls sound like traditional Zelda, ie: Z-targeting to fix the camera. I've always personally found that to be better than manually adjusting the camera with the right stick or triggers to be honest. Assuming it realigns the camera properly that is.

You control the camera with the right stick whilst holding another button (LB I think). I'd prefer it the other way round, hold the button to use the sword, but to be honest after half an hour of playing you're used to it.

The sword controls are my big issue with that game. I wish it was just one button to use your sword, but obviously coming from motion controls I guess that wasn't possible

• Like 1

Anyone picked up the house of the dead remake? I loved this game growing up at the arcades really excited by it.

My only concern is playing itvwithout a gun. They really should have exploited that and had a optional gun to go with the game

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone picked up the house of the dead remake? I loved this game growing up at the arcades really excited by it.

My only concern is playing itvwithout a gun. They really should have exploited that and had a optional gun to go with the game

Oh wow I didn't know that was out. I would have thought they would have used the joy cons as a sort of light gun? Kind of like how they did with the Wii version. Man, I wish light gun games would become a thing again.

Â