Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I suspect if we lose 3-0 to Preston or something of that nature, he will be gone.  Can't continue with woeful results like this

By the law of averages I reckon we will beat preston who sit quite low in the table. Does that make RDM right for us ? 

50 minutes ago, hippo said:

By the law of averages I reckon we will beat preston who sit quite low in the table. Does that make RDM right for us ? 

Think 'right for us' is a bit of a vague term.  The key question for me is can RDM get us winning and into the play-off places, which has to be our main goal for now. A win on Sat would be a small step. Wins against Wolves and Reading would be bigger steps. For me, 6 wins out of the next 10 would convince me he is taking the team in the right direction - that win ratio would get us into the play-offs from where we stand now i.e. we'd end up with about 22/23 wins and plenty of draws. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

24 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Think 'right for us' is a bit of a vague term.  The key question for me is can RDM get us winning and into the play-off places, which has to be our main goal for now. A win on Sat would be a small step. Wins against Wolves and Reading would be bigger steps. For me, 6 wins out of the next 10 would convince me he is taking the team in the right direction - that win ratio would get us into the play-offs from where we stand now i.e. we'd end up with about 22/23 wins and plenty of draws. 

Only stumbling block is RDM has real problems winning football matches for us. Id pretty much Guarantee he isn't going to win 6 of the next 10 - why do you think he will ? 

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Only stumbling block is RDM has real problems winning football matches for us. Id pretty much Guarantee he isn't going to win 6 of the next 10 - why do you think he will ? 

I said that is what he would need to do to convince me. I really hope he can because RDM is our best hope for promotion this year, whether we  like him or not.  If a new manager comes in and takes any time at all to settle (which they probably will) we are screwed because that 60% win ratio will quickly become 70% and that won't be possible for any new manager we could attract.

Edited by Gary Thomas

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I said that is what he would need to do to convince me. I really hope he can because RDM is our best hope for promotion this year, whether we  like him or not.  If a new manager comes in and takes any time at all to settle (which they probably will) we are screwed because that 60% win ratio will quickly become 70% and that won't be possible for any new manager we could attract.

We aren't getting promoted this year.  RDM Is incapable of getting 60% win ratio anyway. If we want promotion in the next two years the sooner we replace rdm the better . New manager can use all our games as "check" games

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

We aren't getting promoted this year.  RDM Is incapable of getting 60% win ratio anyway. If we want promotion in the next two years the sooner we replace rdm the better . New manager can use all our games as "check" games

Well we are 7 points off the play-off places so I am not ready to give up yet.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

We should've won 6 games out of the 1st 10 that's the only reason RDM is still here. I've a feeling RDM will be like Lambert just when you think his numbers up he'll get that win that keeps it going. If RDM shows signs of learning from his mistakes I'd let him carry on but he doesn't seem to be. He needs a convincing win Saturday or we should use the break to get an inspirational manager in. 

I'd give him another 5 or so games just so we can't be accused of not giving him a fair crack at things and to give him a decent chance to prove himself. I don't like the idea of becoming a crazy unhinged firing club. 

Then if he does go it gives whoever comes in after RDM a bit of time to have a few games/assess the squad prior to Jan window opening and around 30 games to get something from the season. 

As difficult as it is - fwiw I don't think RDM will make another 5+ games - we need to give RDM a decent chance to turn things round without throwing our toys out the pram.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

That may be a dangerous road to go down. We are 2 points off relegation, so more likely.....?

If we get relegated I will do the conga around VP naked - singing I know nothing!!!!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Well history would suggest otherwise regarding being incapable of getting 60% win ratio.

That win ratio all depends on what you think is enough.  Last year Sheffield Wednesday scraped into the playoffs with 19 wins (74pts).  The year before Ipswich Town got 6th with 22 wins (78pts).  So if we assume we want 22 wins to give us a good shot we need to win 21 more from this point. That’s a win ratio of 58.33%.  So it could be that a bit less than 60% is enough, but we'll need to be there or thereabouts, which is a heck of a turnaround.  So I am looking at this thinking we need to win five or six out of the next ten!  It's a tough ask but doable - we've got Preston (19th), Cardiff (23rd), Blackburn (22nd) and Wigan (21st) all coming up.  Got to beat these teams to have a chance.

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

If we are not going up this year, then what is the harm in giving RDM more time?

because in order to go up next year we need to make a good fist of it this year,  this year is important preparartion for that.  I dont think we will go up or improve under RDM

• Like 1

The Test should never be/have been whether we get promoted.  And I don't say that just to defend RDM but the same goes for the next guy too.

I know full well people will say "Of course we should be getting promoted, spent £50m, this League is crap, etc etc"....but IMO, and I said this before we started, it is unrealistic to have expected promotion.

I know we NEED it, but that's different.

It meant, on top of the general reconstruction, going from 3 Wins to 20 Plus, from 27 goals to 60 Plus, and from conceding 76 goals to 40 odd.

Highly improbable and rarely done (Sunderland only I think).

It follows that neither RDM nor the next guy should be expected to get promotion.

What the season should be all about, is creating a good side.

If your view is RDM cant do it (premature IMO) its perfectly sensible to say get another guy and give HIM the time - without the pressure of promotion.

If your view is it is too soon to know whether RDM can build a good side (as it is IMO) then HE should be given the time, also without the pressure of getting promotion. And when he has had decent time, if he hasn't worked, there will still be plenty time to try the next guy (because promotion wouldn't be the aim).

I know that sounds horribly defeatist to some, but the other way sounds horribly 'entitled' to others.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not so sure. That is hardly a ringing endorsement or backing of the manager. I’d imagine he felt having been so active that he had to say something as by saying nothing just increased the pressure on Saturdays game.

I would still be very surprised if we fail to win on Saturday if Di Matteo is in charge two weeks later against Wolves. The two week break is an ideal opportunity to make a change. I think failure to do so then leads to questions of whether or not the owner/ those above the manager know what they are doing.

But they appointed RDM ?

And if, as some are clearly now of the view, he is hopeless, shouldn't those questions be being asked already ?

So by your thinking if we don't win on Saturday RDM still being here means we have a clueless Manager, clueless Owner, clueless C Exec ?

Getting bleak eh ?

Or maybe they aren't all clueless and see the need for more time ?

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Completely agree with Sentences 1, 2 and 4 !

Don't agree with 3 as all the rest still holds even if we give RDM another 20 games.

Â