Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

Also, altho winning 2 games will put us in a better position it won't change much long term because our inability to string any sort of winning streak together is mind blowing. 2 wins would be very welcome but I don't think for one minute the next 2 after would also be wins.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Beat the Barcodes and Barnsley and all will be well with the world. Its my fear of that not happening that bothers me. Weve won 1 in 8 - and yet were hoping to win 2 in 2 against high ranking sides ? - Sorry I don't see it.

Also you are sort of asking for credit on 2 games we haven't yet played - let alone won.

As you say things can change quickly if we start winning games. However it is RDM'S inability to do that which leads to this discussion. 

That is my fear as well, but we have to keep the faith and keep hoping we will turn a corner don't we?  I was just speculating how quickly things "could" change if he gets it right and things go our way.  We are all guessing whether he can turn this around and people here have different views about that. Some battle weary posters look at our early results and have little hope - "it ain't happening", "we will not win the next one never mind string a run of wins together" and yadi-yadi-ya.  No post is going to convince them of anything different, but it is not a viewpoint I share.  I think we have a very good team and a good manager who has something to prove.  This discussion started with that table showing RDM's start with WBA - 6 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses.  That gives me some confidence he knows how to win and I still think he can turn it around here IF we can find it in ourselves to keep backing him. It is only 3 weeks since the transfer window shut and some of our players have only played what, 1-3 games?  As much as we all want success that is not enough time for RDM .  Give him a chance to do well - he has done it before he can do it again.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Link

Villa's statistics tell different story to league position

It has been a disappointing start to the season for Aston Villa, however their statistics indicate that they should be aiming much higher. Many fans will spend hours and hours working out the permutations of what would have happened if a certain goal had been scored or saved, when in reality they just need to accept what has happened. However, that may be hard for Aston Villa fans once they see some of their glaring statistics from the start of this season.

First of all, they have created 95 chances so far in the league. That is more than any other side in the Championship. When you compare that to their measly eight goals it highlights just how poor they have been at finishing, but if they can clean up their composure in front of goal they should be creating enough chances to win games. They are also averaging 14.3 shots per game. So it is not only that they are creating the opportunities, but the instinct to shoot is there.

The Championship is a tough league to maintain possession in, which makes Villa's average of 51% all the more impressive. Considering they have only won one game it will not mean too much to them, but if they can translate that possession game into an effective passing system then they will really have something.

They are not soft on the other side of the ball either, putting in 17.4 tackles per game. This shows that they are certainly adapting to the lifestyle down in the second tier, and that all the pieces are in place for success if they can just put them together.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

That is my fear as well, but we have to keep the faith and keep hoping we will turn a corner don't we?  I was just speculating how quickly things "could" change if he gets it right and things go our way.  We are all guessing whether he can turn this around and people here have different views about that. Some battle weary posters look at our early results and have little hope - "it ain't happening", "we will not win the next one never mind string a run of wins together" and yadi-yadi-ya.  No post is going to convince them of anything different, but it is not a viewpoint I share.  I think we have a very good team and a good manager who has something to prove.  This discussion started with that table showing RDM's start with WBA - 6 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses.  That gives me some confidence he knows how to win and I still think he can turn it around here IF we can find it in ourselves to keep backing him. It is only 3 weeks since the transfer window shut and some of our players have only played what, 1-3 games?  As much as we all want success that is not enough time for RDM .  Give him a chance to do well - he has done it before he can do it again.

How long do we keep the faith and hope we turn the corner though ? - At what point does the club take action to put things right ?. Personally I don't think RDM is a good manager. Sure he got Albion promoted almost 7 years ago - and managed 'the cream of the crop' type players on short term basis to win the CL. But overall he has multiple sackings to his name, and never managed anywhere longer than a season and a half. A couple of management stints he wasn't in charge of buying the players.

I agree we have assembled a good squad of players - but there seems no pattern to our play - and we are unable to withstand pressure late on in games.

IMO there will come a point in the next few weeks, where despite RDM and players being relatively 'new' we will all know it ain't happening, and the actually he isn't the man for us. Does the club bury its head in the sand and hope for the best - or acknowledge its mistake and make a change.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

How long do we keep the faith and hope we turn the corner though ? - At what point does the club take action to put things right ?. Personally I don't think RDM is a good manager. Sure he got Albion promoted almost 7 years ago - and managed 'the cream of the crop' type players on short term basis to win the CL. But overall he has multiple sackings to his name, and never managed anywhere longer than a season and a half. A couple of management stints he wasn't in charge of buying the players.

I agree we have assembled a good squad of players - but there seems no pattern to our play - and we are unable to withstand pressure late on in games.

IMO there will come a point in the next few weeks, where despite RDM and players being relatively 'new' we will all know it ain't happening, and the actually he isn't the man for us. Does the club bury its head in the sand and hope for the best - or acknowledge its mistake and make a change.

Is the bit in bold is clouding your judgement entirely having not really given him a chance?

What were his tactics like at Chelsea, West Brom and Schalke?  Any idea?  I know, personally, that I don't have a clue.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long. Only becomes an issue if things carry on in terms of no wins - I honestly don't think it will.  We may or may not beat Newcastle - but I do expect us to start winning more regularly and hopefully we can put this to bed and get on with supporting him/them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Is the bit in bold is clouding your judgement entirely having not really given him a chance?

What were his tactics like at Chelsea, West Brom and Schalke?  Any idea?  I know, personally, that I don't have a clue.

He did get sacked from all 3 though - not really lasting longer than a season anywhere. 

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Be hard pressed to find a manager in this day and age that doesn't have multiple sackings to his name whose been managing longer then 5 years. 

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can't speak for Chelsea and West Brom but he was dreadfully negative at Schalke and their fans still use his name pejoratively to describe negative tactics.  So yeah ... not fondly remembered.

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Personally I don't think RDM is a good manager. 

I think if you had that opinion of him when he arrived then you are unlikely to want to give him long to prove you wrong and I think that is fair enough if you simply didn’t want him/rate him in the first place.

Likewise if your starting point was that you felt he was a very good appointment and the right man to take us forward then you are likely to want to give him a good while, perhaps a whole season.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of all this. I was OK with him coming him, impressed that he had managed in this league before and got a club promoted but had nagging doubts that he hadn’t managed much in the last handful of years and also that in terms of buying and selling players he lacked experience.

I think so far I would say he has done well in the transfer market. The squad for me lacks a little bit of balance but that is the squad he has moulded after being backed heavily and it is for him to play in such a way to get the best out of it. I think on paper this squad is comfortably good enough to challenge for promotion. Results don’t show that though and performances of late have gone backwards.

I personally think he needs to win one of the next three and if he doesn’t I would not be surprised to see Xia pull the trigger and I think at that stage I would have little problem with that. Let us all hope it doesn’t get to that point though.

Edited by markavfc40

55 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I never rated him - and never wanted him as Aston Villa manager. Our results so far have reinforced that viewpoint -  guilty as charged if thats what you meant.

Had he won more of his first eight games - or wins most of the next eight. I will happily change my opinion of him.

Edited by hippo

I agree with your assessment and opinion of RDM from both before and after his appointment here @markavfc40.  The only area we slightly deviate on is in having little problem with Xia pulling the trigger if we haven't won 1 of our next 3.  I still think that would be a little early and it would make me slightly nervous of Xia if he turned out to be that trigger happy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Be hard pressed to find a manager in this day and age that doesn't have multiple sackings to his name whose been managing longer then 5 years. 

Maybe - but I think he only has MK dons where he has managed and not get the sack.

Also decent managers will have a longer spells at clubs - I believe WBA at 1 season 10 games (approx) is his longest stint.    

Edited by hippo

17 minutes ago, BOF said:

Can't speak for Chelsea and West Brom but he was dreadfully negative at Schalke and their fans still use his name pejoratively to describe negative tactics.  So yeah ... not fondly remembered.

To be fair the WBA fans say he played decent footy when with them. But yes heard he has always set up negatively in his latter jobs... 

29 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree with your assessment and opinion of RDM from both before and after his appointment here @markavfc40.  The only area we slightly deviate on is in having little problem with Xia pulling the trigger if we haven't won 1 of our next 3.  I still think that would be a little early and it would make me slightly nervous of Xia if he turned out to be that trigger happy.

Brian I think if it got to the stage of one win in 11 and no wins in 9 which would likely see us in the bottom 3 whilst I wouldn't personally be out with my pitch fork I would have little argument with others doing so and that includes the owner. 

Bottom line is that the current situation can easily be fixed by a couple of quick wins but likewise if this win less run goes on for much longer then the pressure on RDM is going to be ramped up.

Well from what I remember at Chelsea in the league he played 4-2-3-1? In the Champions league with them he played some filthy Catenaccio but he **** won it, so you know... At West Brom when he got promotion they scored an absolute shedload of goals. 

What BOF says about Schalke is interesting, it's definitely something in his locker the catenaccio, park the bus, none shall pass, bit. It's looking like we either don't have the players for it or they need more time on the training pitch to concentrate for 90+ minutes at it. I would absolutely not give a shit if we won 5 games 1-0 with some turgid defensive football to be honest and the fact he has demonstrated he can produce attacking and defensive sides (with success at different levels) I think should earn him some more respect than he is getting.

Early doors as Big Ron would say... 

Whatever false rivalry the topless barcode army have dreamt up probably hasn't seeped into the minds of their players.  I'd say both sets of players see this as a game against the biggest opponent they'll face this season, and that's about that.  By definition that probably makes it a derby on the basis that it's a game of particular interest (as distinct from 'local derby').  But a grudge match?  Nah.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

He did get sacked from all 3 though - not really lasting longer than a season anywhere. 

He wasn't sacked from Schalke.

You've made your mind up about the guy based on... probably not much and have given him 8 games to prove you wrong.  Mind blowing.

Â