Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

After last season's debacle we all knew it would take time to turn things around. After last season's (and the rest) debacle it was always going to be hard for fans to have patience. We have a mostly new team and they're making mistakes, we've been here before but this time it's different. The reasons we aren't winning are not because we have 11 players who don't give a shit, the bad attitudes have gone and have been replaced with players who want to win. 

But it will take time. Our points are not at the level that they should be but our overall performances have been better than what we've witnessed in the last few years. We're attacking and playing some entertaining stuff. Today we had 26 attempts to score, if we'd won then everybody would be buzzing (ok not everybody). 

I just thing we need some perspective and patience. Calling for the managers head after 7 games isn't going to help. He might not be the man to do it but he needs some time to get it right. I like Di Matteo, I hope he succeeds. He might do, he might not, but I think it's a bit early to have the knives out yet. 

• Like 2

I get that it will take a little longer than we are comfortable with for the team to gel. It doesn't help when the manager doesn't do the obvious things and we drop points because of it. Good managers make sure they win games like today after getting in front.

• Like 1

Bold attacking line up and bold attacking sub to swing the game in our favour. Should then have brought on Jedi straight away, so maybe it's a bit naive by him. 

He has improved the style of football and maybe has been unlucky with the amount of times we have hit the bar/post. Said it before but one of these days I can see us hammering a team 4/5 -0. Think if we can somehow get a couple of wins back to back we will get so much confidence.

• Like 1

Keep the faith.  As I have posted previously we had a shitty start last time we were in these parts but still managed to get promotion.

We all thought Taylor was a miracle worker back then.

Dr Tony has swept through Villa like a Tsunami and it is a more positive place than it has been for years.   The waters need to settle and once we get going and used to winning again we should do well and at least make playoffs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Exactly this. 

It's also worth mentioning that for the majority of the league games we've played this season, we've battered the opposition without getting the ball over the line. Huddersfield, Derby and today we've hit the post (twice today). Could he have seen the game out by bringing on either Jedinak or Bacuna? Probably, if honest but this is a new team that is almost getting into its stride. 

Kodjia played his first game for the club today. Adomah hasn't done that yet. Jedinak has played one game and isn't fit, nor is his preferred midfield partner. It's important we start turning these draws into wins, starting with the game on Wednesday, but after all the upheaval we've had I can't believe people want more by bringing in a new management team with 87% of the season remaining.

Absolute nonsense. We have a better team man for man than every team we have played this season and yet only have one win. The excuses need to stop. There is ZERO excuse for the league position we are in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Absolute nonsense. We have a better team man for man than every team we have played this season and yet only have one win. The excuses need to stop. There is ZERO excuse for the league position we are in.

Yes but we do not yet have a better Team.  It is a Team game in case you wondered.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

You don't think at any point we've been unlucky in these early games?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I was all for bringing on Gastede dor Gardener when we were chasing the game as Forest had no ambition at all. But as soon as we went 2-1 up he had to bring on Jedinak for one of the strikers (as he was trying to do when they scored) it was a poor decision to leave it so long

This is exactly what i said to my cousin, having one man in cm was absolutely ridiculous. Definitely RDMs fault.

Very unimpressed so far. If things dont improve by end of October we need to get rid and get rowett in.

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I suppose they also ran things when West Brom were promoted under RDM too?

Who cares? Getting promoted in the Championshit has been done by a litany of shite managers. RDM is useless and its for all to see.

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Who cares? Getting promoted in the Championshit has been done by a litany of shite managers. RDM is useless and its for all to see.

RDM is one of those "shite managers" that has been promoted from the Championship.

And it matters a lot if we've been unlucky IMO. If we've been playing badly and getting these results then that's one thing, but we've largely battered the teams we've played without getting all the points we may have deserved. That to me says we're on the right path, but not quite there yet. 

We've been very unlucky that individual errors have led directly to goals in past matches. Nothing the manager can do about that, and had they not happened we'd be much further up the table. Today alone, McCormack misses a sitter and hits the post, Ayew hits the bar and Kodjia has a header cleared off the line. They had two shots and they both went in.

We should have won more games than we have this season, but I think we've been massively unlucky to draw these matches and on a different day we'd come away with more points.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Maybe not excuses but plenty of valid reasons for some understanding of where we are. 

I was lukewarm about his appointment, but think he is doing a very good job.  The Team do not look like strangers to each other (although they virtually are) and we are playing good football.

Any calls for him to go are IMO, simply mad.

Normally I don't criticise Managers for their selections or subs, as I think they have an awful lot more information at their disposal than we do, but.......

I think he was at fault for not bringing Jedi (and maybe also Baker or Bacuna) once we got in front..I said so at the time, so its not hindsight.

Having said that, had he done that, and we had sat back, AND then conceded, he would've got flack for that too, so its really just one of them things.

I accept we cant go the whole season saying "it will click" and I think he MAY need to consider extra protection for the back 4, but on the other hand I would hate to see us go timid - we still have a fair bit of quality to come in in MF which will help.

I think it is a great shame, although not altogether suprising, that the very good work he has done, and is doing, is overshadowed by some unhappy at the short term results.

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is exactly what i said to my cousin, having one man in cm was absolutely ridiculous. Definitely RDMs fault.

Very unimpressed so far. If things dont improve by end of October we need to get rid and get rowett in.

I have never agreed so much with the first half of a Post and so little with the second.

You really think what this Club needs is another change of Manager ?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

So you think it's entirely down to the manager rather than, say, our "better than every team we have played" team hitting the post from 2 yards out instead of scoring?

Â