Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

31 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Leicester have plans to expand. Wolves have expanded in the last decade or so. Clubs always want to expand and grow if they can. Get more restaurants and corporate in so they can male more on a match day

But good old post 2001 Aston Villa should never expand because we don't want to invest in our future. Instead we slwant to save a few pounds today!

I get you! 

We want to expand too. Knocking down the stand the moment we qualify for the Champions League and have turned Villa Park into a fortress isn't the right time or way to expand however. Wait two or three years and look to expand other parts in the interim. I believe we're adding another 2,700 seats to the capacity but not sure exactly where that is happening. It was announced 

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Everton are a shambles and not a model for us to follow. Liverpool are staying at Anfield so I don't get what that reference is for. It's news to me West Ham are looking for a bigger stadium. I think you've just made that up. 

West Ham ARE looking to increase their stadium seating by 5,500 to 68,000.

Remember little old West Ham?  

If we don't have as much demand as west Ham I'll eat my hat.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, blandy said:

Well, perhaps not, relatively. But it's still a bit of a hit, even if it's only (say) a 7th of our match day revenue total (just using 6000/42000). Or a 16% drop while it's knocked down compared to keeping it. Obviously a new fancy bigger North stand would reverse that and more... 

I would guess it it less than 15% as it the seat prices are less than the trinity or douge ellis, and they charge less for the corporate facilities as they are so old and dated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Any idea what number they give away to bowe council as part of their rental agreement? 

Which bowe council then not only share among themselves for a cracking weekend but also dish out to the local schools, which to be fair to them is brilliant for West Ham

They've also seemingly successfully managed to sell themselves as a London club and open for tourism 

That's not 25k more seats than us though 

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting to see people talk about the lost revenues while the North Stand is out of action. The reason they want to knock it down is because it doesn't deliver revenues - the hospitality offer is extremely limited, the capacity is too small and the seating and concourses aren't really commensurate with increasing prices for a better yield.

I would be surprised if more than 10% of our matchday revenues are generated out of the North Stand.

Exactly. I mean it would have been a bit of a pain for a couple of years, and harder getting tickets, but it was easily manageable. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

West Ham were given a newly built stadium. Same as Man City were. The entire situation is irrelevant when we discuss our own. If someone wants to build us a modern stadium and gift us it on a ridiculously favourable lease then that'd be most welcome turn if events. 

It hasn't and won't happen. People need stop being so stupidly ignorant of reality, context and facts. 

19 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting to see people talk about the lost revenues while the North Stand is out of action. The reason they want to knock it down is because it doesn't deliver revenues - the hospitality offer is extremely limited, the capacity is too small and the seating and concourses aren't really commensurate with increasing prices for a better yield.

I would be surprised if more than 10% of our matchday revenues are generated out of the North Stand.

With champions league games the overall revenue for next season from having it would be decent enough. I think the main issue is the fact it would harm the atmosphere and really just not show us up well when we return to the top competition. I'm sure Emery is very much in favour of not demolishing the stand next summer. 

The cost of demolition and rebuilding it Vs the additional revenue a new stad would give us is probably a terrible terrible return on investment. Football clubs aren't about return on investment though. The attendance increase of 7000/8000 is very small for the amount of work

CV Byrne, that is an outrageous thing to say.

Some of us remember three sides of our ground being rebuilt and the fourth being talked about for redevelopment for the past 25 years. Why do you have to be so condescending to people with a different view? We used to have one of the biggest grounds and have been overtaken.  That is a fact. Discarding West Ham and Man City then, what is your response to Liverpool and Everton? Stand still and you get left behind commercially and other ways. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

West Ham were given a newly built stadium. Same as Man City were. The entire situation is irrelevant when we discuss our own. If someone wants to build us a modern stadium and gift us it on a ridiculously favourable lease then that'd be most welcome turn if events. 

It hasn't and won't happen. People need stop being so stupidly ignorant of reality, context and facts. 

Stupidly ignorant?

Nice.

There IS a 30,000 waiting list, many here have confirmed they are on it.

Other clubs are building and / or looking to build.  we are being left behind.

You can defend it all you like Chris but no one is buying it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The cost of demolition and rebuilding it Vs the additional revenue a new stad would give us is probably a terrible terrible return on investment. Football clubs aren't about return on investment though. The attendance increase of 7000/8000 is very small for the amount of work

Probably is doing a hell of a lot of heavy lifting there.

If the attendance increase is not worth it why have Liverpool and Fulham both done EXACTLY that?

And whilst we are at it, it's not about 7,000 extra seats.  It's about the huge non matchday revenue it earns PLUS the extra corporate matchday.

I don't know why you keep trying to push this argument.  It's been proven over and over again it works, and the owners were all for it 18 months ago and 6 months go.  Something has changed an Heck is bullshitting about what. that is.

As an aside I've organised and attended conferences, presentation and exhibitions in both the current North Stand and in The Trinity Stand and in The Holte Hotel.  I don't think people realise just how busy Villa park is outside of matchday.  Have you ever been to one of these events mister in the know?

I can confirm that the events I've been to in The North Stand were awful.  Cramped room, ludicrously hot, 70's decor.  The Trinity Road is Streets ahead.    I expect they miss out on a lot of events once people take a look at The North Stand and they can only hire it out at very low cost for people looking for a cheap room.   I would expect a massive increase in events once the new North Stand hits with super modern large floors for hire.

I've spoken to guests at conferences I've organised in The Trinity whilst looking out over the pitch.  They've always been impressed and commented how great it is to be in such an obviously impressive place as opposed to another box inside a hotel suite that could be anywhere.  That's why I hired it several times as it was always a success there.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

CV Byrne, that is an outrageous thing to say.

Some of us remember three sides of our ground being rebuilt and the fourth being talked about for redevelopment for the past 25 years. Why do you have to be so condescending to people with a different view? We used to have one of the biggest grounds and have been overtaken.  That is a fact. Discarding West Ham and Man City then, what is your response to Liverpool and Everton? Stand still and you get left behind commercially and other ways. 

Your wasting your time. 

The other day it was fleece the fans and ST holders until the waiting list comes down. No real fan comes out with that crap. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We want to expand too. Knocking down the stand the moment we qualify for the Champions League and have turned Villa Park into a fortress isn't the right time or way to expand however. Wait two or three years and look to expand other parts in the interim. I believe we're adding another 2,700 seats to the capacity but not sure exactly where that is happening. It was announced 

And if you believe they're going to do that, I've got some magic beans you might be interested in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Ok, so in 3 seasons time do you plan to not be in CL or for VP to not be a fortress? 

Because we might be in an exactly the same situation as now. 

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Ok, so in 3 seasons time do you plan to not be in CL or for VP to not be a fortress? 

This is it.

We're seemingly kicking the can down the road to be, potentially, in the exact same situation in five years that we are now.

It's maddening.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Your wasting your time. 

The other day it was fleece the fans and ST holders until the waiting list comes down. No real fan comes out with that crap. 

Ahh. Has someone snuck back in? 

52 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

We're veering off topic, but we won't be. If you assume, optimistically that we can sustain ECL/UEFA football, then there's a 3 year rolling window for FFP, and if we do have 3 seasons of Champs league or UEFA league income, then the wages as a  percentage thing means we'll be better off than currently potentially having to pay CL wages with a reduced capacity and no previous years higher income.

Even if Heck were a numpty, I have no doubt that the owners would have asked him to explain to them, in much more detail than he has to us, what the rationale behind cancelling the build is and what the benefits and drawbacks of doing that are.

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's news to me West Ham are looking for a bigger stadium

They're looking to expand capacity.

A lot of clubs are, at the higher end of the table. How the, er, heck, Heck is going to embiggen VPs capacity I'm not at all sure, potentially by swapping round the second phase (from 50000 to 52000) with the first phase (New North stand) perhaps?

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

They're looking to expand capacity.

A lot of clubs are, at the higher end of the table. How the, er, heck, Heck is going to embiggen VPs capacity I'm not at all sure, potentially by swapping round the second phase (from 50000 to 52000) with the first phase (New North stand) perhaps?

For possibly a rake of reasons....There has been a stalling, quite what all that means is still nebulous to us.

It would still not surprise me, ( at some stage) if a new stadium is planned.

However, there are too many elements affecting decisions, not quite established....so the really big decisions are naturally in limbo.

Could they build the corners to connect the current North Stand to the Trinity and Witton stands, then remove the goalpost design and roof and put a new one on?  It would be a bit of a cheap and nasty renovation, a bit like Heck's badge, but might be a cheaper fix without losing capacity.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

For context, we have three quarters of a modern stadium already built for us, gifted to us on a lease so ridiculously favourable that the EFL wanted to punish us for it. 

Â