Villa Park redevelopment

Phumfeinz

Memberships last a calendar year and their chief (almost sole) benefit is that they get you access to match tickets; they're a ticket buying licence. If you buy one today, it'll include the first six or so home games of next season. If the North Stand is gone at that point, then it's unlikely a membership will get you a match ticket, we'll be at a capacity of around 34,000 with away fans, corporates, the GA+ areas and 28,000+ season ticket holders. The club haven't made any move toward taking the memberships off sale, nor reduced the price to account for that and you can go online right now and buy a product that purports to offer you the chance to buy a ticket to a game in November 2024.

Read into that what you will.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

It looks like a significant impasse and the clock is ticking for the euros. If we mess this up then the second city will not be a host city. 

I'd assume the purpose of Villa/Purslow playing up the importance of the Euros to the redevelopment would be to try to strongarm the authorities into forking over the money, rather than our Euros hosting hinging on the redevelopment. I don't see why a new North Stand would make that much of a difference? 

Especially when there are stadiums in much, much worse condition than ours who are part of the bid. Casement Park currently looks like this!

76164467-12593575-image-a-26_1696431517309.jpg.f00f4539c8d4436e2d35516105ef703a.jpg

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Memberships last a calendar year and their chief (almost sole) benefit is that they get you access to match tickets; they're a ticket buying licence. If you buy one today, it'll include the first six or so home games of next season. If the North Stand is gone at that point, then it's unlikely a membership will get you a match ticket, we'll be at a capacity of around 34,000 with away fans, corporates, the GA+ areas and 28,000+ season ticket holders. The club haven't made any move toward taking the memberships off sale, nor reduced the price to account for that and you can go online right now and buy a product that purports to offer you the chance to buy a ticket to a game in November 2024.

A 2025 start date and a 50,000 Villa Park at best for 2028, not 52k?

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

The article says that UEFA require the stadium to be used for a year after expansion for testing. Can we finish it in 2 years?

The estimate was 2 years and that was including the new Villa Live building, so 2 years including creating  Villa Live facilities in the existing academy building should still be feasible.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There’s a years prep works to be done before they look to knock down the north stand so no need to stop selling memberships now. That will start day after the foo fighters gig next summer so north stand will be out of use 2025/26 so plenty of time before summer 2028. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, thabucks said:

There’s a years prep works to be done before they look to knock down the north stand so no need to stop selling memberships now. That will start day after the foo fighters gig next summer so north stand will be out of use 2025/26 so plenty of time before summer 2028. 

That's my feeling too - that we'll have the North Stand open next season while the club starts to undertake some of the preparatory work, demolishes the current shop and office building and puts in drainage and services and so on, before the demolition of the North Stand starts at the end of the 2024-25 season. Time will tell though I guess.

I'll ask about any updates at tonight's thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hope we do go ahead and begin the process next summer. We really need that work to be done to push to the next level, and the rhetoric from that Athletic article has me a wee bit concerned, especially as it’s already been delayed by a year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's my feeling too - that we'll have the North Stand open next season while the club starts to undertake some of the preparatory work, demolishes the current shop and office building and puts in drainage and services and so on, before the demolition of the North Stand starts at the end of the 2024-25 season. Time will tell though I guess.

I'll ask about any updates at tonight's thing.

And the original widely optimistic time frame was demolition this summer! That never looked likely. If we have to wait  a bit more then fine. What I don't want to see is a clusterf**k between the club and the local authorities each blaming each other if we can't get the transport sorted and we miss out on the euros.

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i really dont know how they go about fixing the transport problems. Even if you fix the station, you still need more trains to be running to take people away. 

I wonder if the club could consider some sort of park and ride, maybe using star city a bit more? but even then, if we want to get 10 thousand more fans in, conservatively thats 2.5 thousand more cars and nearly 200 full bus journeys to ship people about. 

Didnt we make a hire in this space? a guy very experience in transport planning etc?

Agreed Cheltenham.

The frequency of the trains is probably more important than the development of the stations. There never seems to be any extra trains run on a matchday. On a Saturday or weekday, if you hit the sweetspot when the trains arrive every 10 minutes (Aston -> Lichfield service) the crowds clear very quickly with the 6 carriage trains. Sunday with the 30 minute service, its dire.

6 hours ago, wishywashy said:

I'd assume the purpose of Villa/Purslow playing up the importance of the Euros to the redevelopment would be to try to strongarm the authorities into forking over the money, rather than our Euros hosting hinging on the redevelopment. I don't see why a new North Stand would make that much of a difference? 

Especially when there are stadiums in much, much worse condition than ours who are part of the bid. Casement Park currently looks like this!

76164467-12593575-image-a-26_1696431517309.jpg.f00f4539c8d4436e2d35516105ef703a.jpg

Raw beauty that picture is , love old abandoned grounds or buildings etc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Just have a load of no7 buses lined up like the old days.  

Which sounds like a really sensible suggestion - the problem is that those busses would now just be stuck in and around Villa Park for forty minutes - you could walk into the city centre quicker than a bus that left Villa Park five minutes after kick off - it's the surrounding traffic that's changed everything, and the increased car ownership locally.

Â