The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Just now, StanBalaban said:

I'm hoping our team will look very different, takeover or not, next season.

I have no respect or trust in the people with the task of doing this, or picking a new manager should we replace Eric Black.

6 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

Newcastle will walk that league next year.

We won't get close to them.

I think it'll be a lot more challenging than people think, the idea that it's a race between us and Newcastle is odd. They'll be in the mix I think, I have us down for about 10th or 11th. The first thing any new owners will need to do is stop us falling, then we can start to think upwards.

• Like 2

Just now, Pilchard said:

I have no respect or trust in the people with the task of doing this, or picking a new manager should we replace Eric Black.

Ha true. Different doesn't necessarily mean better with Villa.

Expecting Randy to appear in a clown outfit heralding the most delayed April Fool's joke ever..

I just hope, for the sake of all fans and people associated/employed by the club, something positive is declared within the next few days.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it'll be a lot more challenging than people think, the idea that it's a race between us and Newcastle is odd. They'll be in the mix I think, I have us down for about 10th or 11th. The first thing any new owners will need to do is stop us falling, then we can start to think upwards.

I think 10th or 11th is a very sensible target. 

We certainly aren't going to be able to get rid of a lot of these wasters playing now without playing off their contracts.

Edited by Pilchard

2 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

All depends - way too many unknowns to make predictions at this stage.  Our team will be completely different, as will Newcastle's.

Of course there are too many unknowns. Both will probably have new managers next season as well.

The money saved by ourselves in January, compared to Newcastles "go for broke" policy may well have significant impact on next season also.

It could even be that a side like Brighton will be favourites next season.

To suggest we won't get close to Newcastle at this stage is just plain ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm just celebrating the end of one of the worst seasons in Villa history-Roll on the next chapter.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I fear you might be right, as much as we all want/expect to come up first year, I think the place is so rotten to the core, overhauling and smoothing out may take more time. Even with a takeover, unless it is mammoth to the point where we get the best of the best talent.

I hope we are wrong though!

6 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

You mean "when". There's no way the club would make him permanent manager.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

No, I mean 'should'.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the club. 

I don't think a scenario of this takeover stuff rolling on for some time, followed by a failure to complete whilst other clubs go about appointing the people available leaving us with Eric, who at least knows how shite our players are and is friendly with Reilly is too hard to imagine.

1 minute ago, Pilchard said:

No, I mean 'should'.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the club. 

I don't think a scenario of this takeover stuff rolling on for some time, followed by a failure to complete whilst other clubs go about appointing the people available leaving us with Eric, who at least knows how shite our players are and is friendly with Reilly is too hard to imagine.

I agree he shouldn't be anywhere near us but he's not going to be made permanent manager under any circumstance - it just won't happen.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

As long as I see genuine progress on and off the field, a team that I can relate to and enjoy even if it's a team that can grow together and a manager who can at least start winning games at home I will take that. 

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

In fairness, he's been pretty clear on his position - he wouldn't want to manage this club full time for all the T in erm...takeover.

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I agree he shouldn't be anywhere near us but he's not going to be made permanent manager under any circumstance - it just won't happen.

I hope not.

But I wouldn't trust this lot to be able to see that.

Just now, Pilchard said:

I hope not.

But I wouldn't trust this lot to be able to see that.

I do. Don't get me wrong, I have virtually zero faith in the current leadership but it's the kind of decision which would make even less sense than appointing McLeish. I don't subscribe to this view that because "it's Villa" no scenario no matter how outlandish is off the table.

15 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's highly unlikely that their best and highest paid players will stay.

The thing is, if rumours are to be believed, a lot of their players do not have a relegation clause in their contracts for their salaries to fall. I don't know if there's a huge queue of clubs vying for the signatures of Shelvey and Sissoko on £80k per week. The players may as well just bleed the club dry and sit on their fat contracts in the Championship.

Edited by StanBalaban

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The thing is, if rumours are to be believed, a lot of their players do not have a relegation clause in their contracts for their salaries to fall. I don't know if there's a huge queue of clubs vying for the signatures of Shelvey and Sissoko on £80k per week. The players may as well just bleed the club dry and sit on their fat contracts in the Championship.

Add in that their net spend this season is supposedly £73m plus and they might be in serious trouble. Thye will be desperate to recoup some of that money by selling high earners on.  Players like Townsend and Shelvey will likely want to leave if they have any hope of an international call up.