The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Correction. Last season we had the best groundsmen in the Premier League ;) 

This season will be a walk in the park in the Championship...

Well technically gutter when we go to the sty but you get my drift :) 

bristolmud_511a944084c1d.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, useless said:

Xia's appparently talking about buying TV rights to the football league in China, not sure how that will benefit us though if we hopefully get promoted.

Even if Villa could get promoted with the first attempt, it is still crucial to develop the fan base in China in the first year, for a long term benefit.

In China now there is absolutely NO coverage at all about English second or lower football division - most people follow, quite understandably, the most successful clubs in europe and those clubs who have Chinese players in the first squad. Development of fan base takes time (and media coverage), and Villa as a club certainly don't want to wait till the moment when it really needs the fan base in China. 

I would like to bet that if Villa returns back to PL and have 1 good quality Chinese player (if possible) in the first squad, the national TV channel will buy TV rights of all Villa games. And very soon (in 1-2 years) Villa will become the most popular club in China. It is not about the number of trophies the club win, it is about the feeling of 'belonging'. 

And all of this means potential sponsorship contract, potential investors, better confidence of Xia's investors, potential contract of youth camp (a huge un-exploited market there), potential gain for Xia's business etc., which all lead to, well let me put it bluntly, income, directly or indirectly.

PS: i still remember when a few Chinese players joined Crystal Palace (in second division) in late 90s, and Sun Jihai played for Man City some years ago, all newspapers in China were like crazy and reported every single match. And you can find their kits/jerseys everywhere in the street.

Edited by Deisler123
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

because its Chinese translation '阿斯顿维拉'

Can you write that phonetically in English? If possible ...interested to hear what it sounds like.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Can you write that phonetically in English? If possible ...interested to hear what it sounds like.

I recorded my own sound and you can find it here: https://clyp.it/joen2qxw

Not very different from English if you say it in Mandarin, very different in Cantonese though.

PS: if you have come across a secretive woman name, called Vera, who helped Xia complete this takeover accroding to Google, she is  ' 维拉 '.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@Deisler123 Who is the best Chinese player or players Villa could realistically buy? Putting aside cost for a second!

The best now: Zhang Linpeng (RB) 27 yo (A football-look-a-like Sergio Ramos), Wu Lei (AMC/shadow) 24yo (like Argentinos Aimar), although too expensive. I personally think they can do well in Championship, and maybe a sub player for PL.

Realistically: the guy my profile pic is showing - Zhang Yuning 19yo, playing for Vitesse Arnhem first team now. He is believed to be the best Chinese player in the next 5 years. And I think he is capable of playing in PL (in 1-2 years time).

Or Lin Liangming 19yo, playing for Real Madrid U19 now. A good investment I think.

In the last 3-4 years most clubs have resumed youth training system and they send hundreds of kids to Spain and Portugal to play youth games. Will have some good players in 2-3 years time and if Villa can take advantage of that, financial gain will be huge. 

• Like 2

We could with getting some promising Chinese players whilst they're still young and giving them the benefit of our training facilities and staff. Might have a better chance of making it that way and if they're not quite good enough for Villa, we might be able to sell them on to a Chinese club. Whoever China's best player is we should sign him, if that's realistic.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

We could with getting some promising Chinese players whilst they're still young and giving them the benefit of our training facilities and staff. Might have a better chance of making it that way and if they're not quite good enough for Villa, we might be able to sell them on to a Chinese club. Whoever China's best player is we should sign him, if that's realistic.

Good idea, and it could be just a start.

Long-term speaking, if Villa can find 1-2 satellite clubs in other smaller leagues in Europe, like Dutch/Belgium (for more first team experience plus bypassing the work permit), it could be even more sustainable.

And this is in fact a part of Xia's idea of 'owning a few clubs in other EU countries branded as Villa group'.

A business model is there, whoever exploits it first will get huge benefit - I think Xia might attempt it with a reasonable investment, after Villa returns back to PL. It is certainly a big element of Xia's ambition.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

Do you remember that time Randy Lerner owned Aston Villa Football Club?

Oh man. I had almost forgotten about that!  Looking back he was like the false dawn before the blazing glory of the Xia years. Some of those chunts we signed towards the end of his ownership wouldn't be fit to lace the boots of our current triple champions League winning squad. 

And remember that Bacuna feller who finally got his move to Barca only to score 2 own goals for us in the final. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

I wonder whether Bernstein and King are happy right now? Is concluding a deal with Tony the hope that they had? 

Didn't someone email Mervyn King previously? Maybe worth following up to see if those resignations can be put to bed..?