The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Just now, Straggler said:

Would love to see the faces of the fans as they crack one of them open for the first time. However they are philipeano are they not?

I'm sure they are but Karl Pilkington refused to eat one in China so that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Yes, well he stated it as a fact rather than rumour but said the identity was being kept closely guarded.

So closely guarded that only Pat Murphy knows :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If you can find me a government or major business in the world that is ethically and morally 'clean' to even a half decent extent I will agree with you - until then, welcome to Planet Earth !

I'm not sure that because we may not be perfect excuses the Chinese government for it's significant stains on it's character. China in many respects makes us look like saints.

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Not sure it's the right thread to discuss the morals and ethics of respective governments but to compare our own, albeit far far from perfect government with the effectively totalitarian Chinese government is just wrong. Chinese citizens can't go on an unfiltered Internet, speak freely, act freely, use social media (it's all banned except a state run one called weibo I beleive), and although rudimentary free markets are starting to occur it is still essentially a communist state. The freedom we have to question our own government openly, and even to state that David Cameron put his balls in a pig, is a freedom not everyone has in the world. 

Its not the right thread but all you are doing is grading degrees of badness.  Just because we can do things they cant doesn't excuse the countless list of morally bankrupt things our government and many large businesses do every day.  The point was, if its morals you want, you wont get a buyer.

I've posted this in a more relevant thread to lead us over there............

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

I'm not sure that because we may not be perfect excuses the Chinese government for it's significant stains on it's character. China in many respects makes us look like saints.

Not perfect  !!! You are blind my friend.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It all depends where you are sitting, doesn't it? Ask an Aborigine what he thinks of the English government.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Its not the right thread but all you are doing is grading degrees of badness.  Just because we can do things they cant doesn't excuse the countless list of morally bankrupt things our government and many large businesses do every day.  The point was, if its morals you want, you wont get a buyer.

I've posted this in a more relevant thread to lead us over there............

Well obviously we're discussing degrees of badness, that's human life, and politics and government. My point was that in terms of freedom, civil liberties, welfare, GDP and HDI our government is light years ahead of the freedoms a Chinese citizen has. 

The fact we are having this conversation on an open, unfiltered Internet surely demonstrates the gulf between the two. Like I said, our government is far from perfect, but at least we got to vote for them in elections which are relatively free from tampering.

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on the subject. We'll have to agree to disagree, at least we're free to have a opinion! :)

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It all depends where you are sitting, doesn't it? Ask an Aborigine what he thinks of the English government.

As said, we're not clean. I think we're better today than we were when settling Australia and I think were that to happen today the native Australians would be treated far better (I'm aware the Australian government has into quite recently treated them very poorly, and that's something Australia should be ashamed of) than we did over the years back then.

But again... The Chinese Government is pretty much universally criticised for it's position on many things. Rightly so. Noone is clean in the fullness of time. Doesn't mean everyone's above critique in the cold light of day.

• Like 1

Well if there is someone who I dislike but trust in equal measures it is Pat Murphy. A wealthy Chinese individual is the best of both worlds, market exposure in China but also someone who is romantically nourished by the journey we could go on. My money is on Mr Miyagi.