Formula one - 2016

jjaacckk91

Renault (and therefore Red Bull ...) will be getting a massive engine upgrade around the time of the Montreal Grand Prix (in three races time).  It's rumoured to be worth around half a second per lap, which would be massive considering Red Bull aren't a million miles off being competitive at the front.  So I wouldn't write the season off quite yet.  Plus I suspect Lewis isn't going to give the title to Rosberg too quietly, so a Merc battle is on the cards at the very least.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Renault (and therefore Red Bull ...) will be getting a massive engine upgrade around the time of the Montreal Grand Prix (in three races time).  It's rumoured to be worth around half a second per lap, which would be massive considering Red Bull aren't a million miles off being competitive at the front.  So I wouldn't write the season off quite yet.  Plus I suspect Lewis isn't going to give the title to Rosberg too quietly, so a Merc battle is on the cards at the very least.

Yawn-GIF_2.gif?gs=a

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Hamilton is more concerned with his celebrity lifestyle these days. Rosberg has his number in more ways than just luck with the car, he's riding a wave at the minute and its hard to see Hamilton clawing it back.

Edited by AVFCDAN

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Renault (and therefore Red Bull ...) will be getting a massive engine upgrade around the time of the Montreal Grand Prix (in three races time).  It's rumoured to be worth around half a second per lap, which would be massive considering Red Bull aren't a million miles off being competitive at the front. 

Meh. This seasons a right off. With all the changes next year I can't see any team investing too heavily. Renault have a Lotus hand me down chassis and have marked 2018 as their time to shine. After the PR disaster last year, reliability is the word.

McLaren (Honda) are apparently completely redesigning the PU from scratch for next year too.

• Like 1

yup... Williams have already admitted as much and I imagine Ferrari will go the same way soon enough. Can't trust a thing coming out of the mouths of Renault as they've been saying the same thing for the past couple of yrs. Easiest way to judge things is qualifying times and Merc are still consistently miles ahead. 

Unfortunate thing is we'll end up in pretty much the same situation next year too as there's always one team that hit on the correct solution and who'll run away with it. Best path would be to free up in season engine development and then slowly modify the aero rules over the next few years.

Really hope they throw these silly canopy ideas in the bin too.

Saw that this morning.  Button tweeting his disappointment at Kvyat being 'dropped for one bad race'.  He wasn't dropped for one bad race.  This was far more about Red Bull fending off other teams' attempts to grab Max Verstappen for 2017 than it was about relegating/punishing Kvyat.  With Max now deservedly in a top team, it'll be interesting to see how he performs against Ricciardo.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he got the upper hand on him sooner rather than later.

Utter bollox to do it mid season with the weakest excuse possible. They should have made the switch at the start of the season, everyone new max was the hot ticket then. 

First moaning about their suppliers and threatening to leave then this? 4 time world champions acting like they're trying their best to ruin all the good PR that comes with it.

How on earth is Kvyat supposed to do interviews?

It's terrible on Kvyat and ruthless by Red Bull. But in the cold light of day it's probably the right thing for the team going forward. Timing could have been better though. But Horner won't give a toss. It's not his job to give a toss.

And to think He is "one of their own". I hope the new Renault update is a fail and Toro outscore them. There's your PR, rocket polishers.

3 hours ago, villakram said:

Guess we'll get to see if the Max hype has anything to it now, as he wasn't exactly lighting up his teammate previously.

Max out scored Sainz last year by 31 points which for a mid table team is some margin. There's no denying some of his overtakes are amazing.

(Kvyat out scored ricciardo).

6 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Max out scored Sainz last year by 31 points which for a mid table team is some margin. There's no denying some of his overtakes are amazing.

(Kvyat out scored ricciardo).

but Sainz out-qualified him and got most of the bad reliability.  It is 3-1 to Max so far this year, but in terms of outright speed against his teammate, I remain unconvinced. It's a very aggressive move from Red-Bull and he hasn't exactly screamed to being the next Seb. It's gonna spice things up for sure because Riccy may be all smiles, but he's got an impressive nasty streak.

• Like 1

You're unconvinced.  Fair enough.  You're pretty much on your own on that score but hey ho.  Everything Verstappen has done to date suggests he is very much the real deal.

I've been a massive fan of F1 for over 20 years now but I've finally given up on it this season, I no longer have Sky F1 and just out of the principle of it going fully behind a paywall in a couple of years I'm giving up. I don't think I will be missing much either.

I point blank refuse to buy contact TV but it doesn't stop me being a fan of F1.

Sure dominance by any team isn't great but there's still great battles out there.

The fundamental problem at the moment is following a car with these tyres. I hope we will no longer be talking about this next year.

Hang in there!

12 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I point blank refuse to buy contact TV but it doesn't stop me being a fan of F1.

Sure dominance by any team isn't great but there's still great battles out there.

The fundamental problem at the moment is following a car with these tyres. I hope we will no longer be talking about this next year.

Hang in there!

There's always a reason why its difficult to follow another car in F1. Rear spoilers, Aero, exhaust heat, tyres, dirty air...

2 hours ago, Genie said:

There's always a reason why its difficult to follow another car in F1. Rear spoilers, Aero, exhaust heat, tyres, dirty air...

Thank you for explaining the constants that will always be there in some form, Mr Newey.

Unless your McLaren Honda. Then the problem is fitting the (undersized) compressor inside the V of the ICE, causing an inefficient mgu-h - and not having the tokens to change it all until next year.

Oh and RIP blown diffusers.

8 hours ago, Genie said:

If they sorted out the front wings it would help a huge amount. They should word the regulations in such a manner that only basic 2 piece wings like the example below are only permitted. The wider bodies and tyres will be welcome but the idiots are increasing the front wing size too which won't help.

.dd35eabe4b85a7c11ff152adb4aa476b.jpg

I'd do away with DRS too, nothing as boring as DRS overtakes, I'd much rather see a driver struggle for 10 laps to make an overtake than cruise up behind and open their wings. Anyone remember the battle back in the day between Coulthard and Verstappen Snr at Austria where Coulthard couldn't get by in spite of being in a far quicker car, that was great racing.

Â