Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

It would be entertaining to have Harry Redknapp as the new manager, he tells it like it is.

That's the kind of post that makes me judge someone[emoji14]

• Like 3

I hate to be the guy who bring it up, but I still think we could do a lot worse than Bob Bradley. He exceeded all expectations at Stabæk and he currently has Le Havre on course for promotion to Ligue 1. He's exactly the type of no-nonsense manager to come up with a clear plan for taking us forward, to make his expectations known to both the board and the players, and to give the players the means and the motivation to do it.

4 hours ago, JamieZ said:

I hate to be the guy who bring it up, but I still think we could do a lot worse than Bob Bradley. He exceeded all expectations at Stabæk and he currently has Le Havre on course for promotion to Ligue 1. He's exactly the type of no-nonsense manager to come up with a clear plan for taking us forward, to make his expectations known to both the board and the players, and to give the players the means and the motivation to do it.

I would say no simply because he would keep Guzan here

• Like 1

David Moyes would be a top appointment however i do feel that there are managers that can certainly make us strong for next season and become a success.

i.e Houghton, Mick McCarthy & Pearson

I also do not understand why the new manager has to be a nice guy is this essential or not?

Surely we want a manager that can take us back up by any means necessary at the first attempt?

3 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

David Moyes would be a top appointment however i do feel that there are managers that can certainly make us strong for next season and become a success.

i.e Houghton, Mick McCarthy & Pearson

I also do not understand why the new manager has to be a nice guy is this essential or not?

Surely we want a manager that can take us back up by any means necessary at the first attempt?

Problem with mccarthy though is, he would bring us straight back down, same with fistface in my view. Rather Moyes. But if he is unattainable I like the idea of Hughton or Rowett

16 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I just looked up which manager has the most promotions. And after doing that I've decided we don't need a manager who has previous promotions on his cv.

??? do tell.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Problem with mccarthy though is, he would bring us straight back down, same with fistface in my view. Rather Moyes. But if he is unattainable I like the idea of Hughton or Rowett

Why do you think Rowett is a popular choice amongst our fans? 

5 hours ago, JamieZ said:

I imagine he would be seen as a risk in the context of the Chumpionship.  If they're serious about requiring experience then he'll be a non-starter.

12 hours ago, supernova26 said:

Not a bad shout and would probably snap Randy's both arms off if offered the job.

Bit lame we've employed this bloated football board to hire an inevitable generic British manager though. 

Yes unfortunately. There are a few young progressive British managers (Adkins, Howe, even Rodgers) but most of them seem to a) be in solid jobs or b not  have enough experience, which leaves us with the dregs like McCarthy, Bruce, Pearson.

I would happily take another foreign manager provided they don't suffer fools and crack some **** whips. That guy at Augsburg has done alright.

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

Yep, him and Dave Bassett

That's pretty mental. 

@Richard I like the reasoning for Rowett, much like the reasons I got behind Lambert (apart from the Villa connection). Sounds a bit too good to be true though ;)

I'd love it to be one of our own to come in and sort us out, have a long term plan and stick around to do it. How realistic that is I'm not so sure. At the end of the day a good technical competent modern coach with a clear vision of how to play and the ability to get his players to implement it, is all I want. I don't care where they are from.

Agree with much of that Richard - and it is a similar philosophy the Club tried when we got Lambert.  Made sense then, and does now. Having someone who can Manage, AND is genuinely interested in Villa, AND is beginning, rather than ending, their own journey - makes a lot of sense.  I personally don't know if he is anything as a Manager as I have no idea about Blues, but I hear other people saying he has something about him.

So I am all but sold.

BUT.

(2 buts).1 - We have some pretty cancerous stuff here - the Board can, and I think will, do a lot to clear the culture, but can Rowett come up against some of these wasters and win ?

2.  Although it all makes sense I am still - reluctantly - of the view that, because of the money gap this/next year, we MUST get up first go. Yes it is short termisim but I can't see how we can risk anything else.  Also regardless of any 'project' would our own fans accept Rowett for 2 seasons if we didn't go up the first ? It is true none of the othewr contenders guarantee promotion either but as some are  - on paper - a better bet that would sway me.

Having said that, if they followed your idea (and made it clear that was the idea) I would feel ok with it, and, funnily enough, almost 'cleansed' by it ! (couldn't think of another word that explained it !)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's pretty mental. 

@Richard I like the reasoning for Rowett, much like the reasons I got behind Lambert (apart from the Villa connection). Sounds a bit too good to be true though ;)

LOL, well I'm hardly like to make a pitch for the bloke using negative stuff!

But honestly I don't think it is too good to be true as I absolutely feel that an appointment like that will not pay immediate dividends in terms of promotion success and restoration and in many respects from seeing some of the stuff on here there is still an expectation that an immediate turn around is what people are looking for and actually expect. For me that misses the point about what is happening to the club right now