Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

When the clubs says it wants a British manager does that mean from the British Isles... Or traditional British?

McCarthy, Keane etc could be excluded by a nationality technicality :P

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Don't forget the crumpet

I'd be on board for Warburton, I'm still bemused as to why the next manager has to be British though, is that a board consensus thing or just something one of them said?

Could it be because the `football board' is made up of dinosaurs?

3 minutes ago, Duck said:

When the clubs says it wants a British manager does that mean from the British Isles... Or traditional British?

Well, technically, it is the British Isles, so anyone inhabiting said Isles could be construed as `british'. That is with a small `b`. :) 

24 minutes ago, Duck said:

Roy Keane is actually Irish whereas McCarthy isn't really.

• Like 1

The more I read about Chris Hughton, the more I like.

Disciplined training sessions, tactically flexible, genuinely a nice guy but most importantly has gotten results everywhere he's managed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No, just no, McCarthy is a terrible choice. He has absolutely no upside. We want someone who will do well for us in the Premiership (or at least have the potential to) when we get promoted, this isn't the time for short-termism.

Why ?

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Ok, we want someone who will do shit for us in the premiership when we get promoted?

Plenty of time to worry about that if it happens.

Could be for a few years yet, might even drop another league,

37 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

didnt he finished top 4 with spurs ?

not sure what that has to do with 'telling it how it is', the man couldn't tell a judge and jury the truth about his **** dog's bank account.

Regardless, he's practically retired as a manager anyway. 

Edited by a m ole

41 minutes ago, mwj said:

The more I read about Chris Hughton, the more I like.

Disciplined training sessions, tactically flexible, genuinely a nice guy but most importantly has gotten results everywhere he's managed.

Not a bad shout and would probably snap Randy's both arms off if offered the job.

Bit lame we've employed this bloated football board to hire an inevitable generic British manager though. 

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 2

Well I thought I'd have another dispassionate look at this, and here are my views.

One of the single biggest questions to be answered when fans (or the Board) choose their guy is whether he needs to be the best guy to get us up, or a longer term builder as well (I can't think of any candidate who obviously looks like they can do both).

For me, all that matters is getting up.  We cannot afford to fail.  Once we are up, then we get in new Manager, new players, whatever - Managers rarely last more than a year or two on average these days anyway, despite the amount of times we hear about a 'project'.

But we absolutely HAVE to get straight back up.  I will gladly take anyone who will do that.

So I just want the Board to pick whoever they think, with whatever tools they know they are going to give him (and yes, the players are tools, lol) the person most likely to get us up.

Now -initially leaving out 'personalities' - not because they don't matter, but because we have little real evidence of anybodys true personality, and leaving out 'style', because we just have to get promoted, I would say that leads to......

If past performances are a guide  - and actually, statistically they are not much of one - then Mcarthy is as good a shout as anyone. As is Pearson. As for Moyes, unless you consider that Moyes's managerial skills are such that he is simply head and shoulders above the rest, (which is fair enough, there is a case for that) Moyes is by no means the best bet, as his actual record in getting Clubs promoted isn't there.  Pretty much everyone else mentioned has that record to a greater or lesser extent. 

Of course the other main criteria would be an assessment of whether they have the character to take on the job.  It hasn't been discussed much but I think it is a different beast altogether trying to get Aston Villa promoted than getting (choose name here) promoted.  We are nowhere near as 'big' as some fans think but we are big.  We will be a target and we are in a mess (although hopefully that is being addressed).

That, for me, brings Moyes well back into the frame - what he lacks in his record is balanced by the fact we know he is comfortable with a Club this size.  So - although he doesn't inspire me - is Hughton,.  So is Rodgers.  (And the latter two have a promotion record, FWIW).

So, for me, at this point, I would have to plump for  Rodgers, as he has the big club thing and the promotion record (and then throw in the Style and long term things I threw out as being feasible again).

Then either Moyes (probably the most proven Manager, and big club experience, and again throw in the 'build' thing as a bonus)) or Mcarthy / Pearson/ Hughton (all with good promotion records and with Hughton, the weakest statistically, having run a big Club).

And from that, who would I least like our enemies to have, as an extra 'decider' ?  Tricky.  Probably Moyes.  Maybe Rodgers.  Who would I be not too worried if our enemies got them ?  Hughton maybe.

Finally, who do I picture best standing up to the inevitable firestorm when we go through a bad patch ?  I've tried to imagine them all and wondered who I would still have faith in when it goes wonky.  Probably Moyes.  And because he did it last year, Pearson.

So my final 3 are Moyes, Pearson, Rodgers. Maybe Mcarthy too. Oops that's 4.

Then there is the indefinable thing - at this stage - backroom staff.  I know Pearson no longer has his, so that knocks him back (unless they come).

Moyes main guy was Steve Round I think.  He is probably available so that must boost Moyes. I confess to not really being sure about Rodgers Number 2. Nor Mcarthy.

So I am not totally sure.  I would hope that there are additional things the Board want and will satisfy themselves of in interview - without interviewing the guys I would struggle to pick.

But one has one further ingredient the other 2 don't have - he has the support of a majority of fans.  Whilst proving nothing (Lambert anyone) it would buy him time.  Pearson has probably the least support amongst fans and some would quickly build the scaffold if it didn't start well.

So although my original choices, when Garde was sacked, would've been 1. Rodgers, 2. Pearson, 3. Moyes, I'd now say Moyes would be the better choice.

Now all you all have to do is agree with me and we can all get on with our lives !!

Edited by terrytini

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Warburton may have worked if we'd kept the moneyball lot, but I think the new powers-that-be will want a steady Championship manager.  The more I think, the more Pearson is looking most likely.  I think we'd have heard more by now if Moyes was seriously interested, I reckon he is hanging on for a stable Prem club.  

im sure the reason he left Brentford was because he wasnt on board with their new stats way of business

Moyes is my #1 choice, but Im warming to the idea of Hughton as well. Did a good job at Newcastle (walked the championship iirc) and was pretty unfairly sacked by them. Got SHA to the playoffs after their post-relegation cost-cuttiny and did a pretty decent job at Norwich too - taking them up before being sacked in (I think) their first season up when they were by no means adrift. Currently doing very well with Brighton and his teams have all played good football from the bits I've seen. I think he's had 4 full seasons as a manager in the championship (although I may well be wrong there) and he's been promoted twice and lost in the play-offs once and is on course for at least the play-offs again. His PL record isn't quite so good, although he has been at teams he's promoted both times...