Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

If they decide they don't want to play tomorrow... sorry, what? I have to assume he is just talking out his arse here, in response to a specific question like what will you do if the players decide they don't want to play tomorrow if Norwich have beaten Sunderland. If he has said it off his own steam, because it's actually a consideration of his.. that there's a possibility, even a small one, that the players might refuse to play because they have been relegated, then I'm not really sure I understand where he's coming from. 

I think the question marks around attitude and culture at Villa are really only a result of the lack of quality. These are either players who no longer have quality and came looking for one last pay check (Lescott), players who moved to UK looking for a payrise but don't really have any quality (Sanchez) or players who tried to make the step up the division and lack that ability (Gestede).

The only player who has a possible attitude problem that effects his form is Grealish. The rest are just useless with or without a bad attitude. We wouldn't care half as much if we were winning - I don't think our players are particuarly anymore obnoxious than a majority of other players in the league, it's just we're not as distracted by good play and victories. Look at two biggest controversies this season (spit and car) and if we're winning no one cares, they players are idiots in both circumstances but we get more offended by them if we're losing. Most footballers are selfish idiots, we just focus on that more when we're losing.

I'm far more concerned by the lack of quality, no amount of attitude changing will turn poor players in to good ones. They're just not capable.

I'd keep Okore, Amavi, Traore, Grealish (attitude) and Ayew. The rest? Somewhere between not fussed and please go. For what it's worth, I'd still prefer to keep the likes of Lescott over Richardson despite Lescott being a massive pr*ck. Few footballers are 'nice' so the choice only normally boils down to who's better.

I do wonder whether the so called bad attitude started with Sherwood. Prior to that under Lambert, who I could imagine being a tough manager, I don't recall there being a problem. I do wonder whether Sherwood fostered this 'matey', 'lads' atmosphere which the likes of Richard and Lescott bought into when they joined so along with the likes of Gabby that became the accepted approach amongst the senior players.

Towards the end of Sherwood's reign there was talk of a rift in the squad between the French speaking players and the rest which I assumed was 'cultural'. Maybe it was more about attitude? Garde struck me as cerebral thinking manager and maybe, or more likely probably, he just did not have the strength of character to force the more senior players to change their now ingrained bad attitude.

All guesswork obviously but you never know.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

I do wonder whether the so called bad attitude started with Sherwood. Prior to that under Lambert, who I could imagine being a tough manager, I don't recall there being a problem. I do wonder whether Sherwood fostered this 'matey', 'lads' atmosphere which the likes of Richard and Lescott bought into when they joined so along with the likes of Gabby that became the accepted approach amongst the senior players.

Towards the end of Sherwood's reign there was talk of a rift in the squad between the French speaking players and the rest which I assumed was 'cultural'. Maybe it was more about attitude? Garde struck me as cerebral thinking manager and maybe, or more likely probably, he just did not have the strength of character to force the more senior players to change their now ingrained bad attitude.

All guesswork obviously but you never know.

was rumours of attitude problems when Keane was here last season

As I keep on saying, there are a bunch of players that must be purged from the club by any means necessary. They are poisonous.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Started under MON, if not sooner.

Escalated when Houllier rightly tried to change things

Yep. One of the biggest mistakes the board made was bringing in McLeish instead of appointing a manager who would continue sorting the club out.

• Like 1

Bet they are all already on the piss, giving the "Bantz" and booking the Dubai holidays as we speak. 

This means nothing to them. 

Edited by Ingram85

6 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

if there is one thing i want next season, it is a team of players who at least appear to give a shit.

I'm often made our to be a hard man to please but this is genuinely all I want.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Bet they are all already on the piss, giving the "Bantz" and booking the Dubai holidays as we speak. 

This means nothing to them. 

I live in Dubai so you can rest assured I will be waiting for them at the airport...

• Like 2

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere else, but I read that Black encouraged the players to acknowledge the fans after the game - some did, some didn't.

Purely out of curiosity, does anyone know which of the players braved it? 

Don't say that. Its a lovely coach,. Tri-axle Volvo with leather trim, galley kitchen, wi-fi, HD TV's and marble tables. Plus the company who runs the coach are a decent bunch of guys, despite being blues fans!

Â