The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Ah yes St Jezza managed to do a great job of persuading me to vote for Labour today... not

He did a really good job of making me want to repeatedly punch him in he face though, he's just so infuriating

When it comes to an election, I'll be voting for the best person in my constituency to stop the Tory candidate, that is all that matters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

When it comes to an election, I'll be voting for the best person in my constituency to stop the Tory candidate, that is all that matters.

I'm in a safe Labour seat populated by a bellend with no desire to have an independent thought. His opinion is always what the party leadership says, regardless of who that leader is or what the issue is. He's an automaton. He changed from Blairite to Corbynite overnight 

I'll be sticking with the Greens unless an Indie pops up I can trust

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

For a nano-second I felt sorry for Boris. Then I realised he brought this all on himself.

If he was cleverer he could have spun that round, "I'm here to see first hand what the situation is and if theres anything I can do to help. Thank you for your passionate input it's very much appreciated". 

He'd have looked less of a useless oaf then.

I see from his Twitter he has since been advised to respond pretty much as I wrote.

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

No-one is talking about what will IMPROVE at all and yet people still want to go through with it?

This is why my brain can't or won't try and compute this.  It is so illogical as to fly in the face of of many things that i thought were set in stone.

5 years ago these questions seem obvious but now ?

Quality of life in general,  would you like it to improve or get worse ?

Do you want less money in your pocket ?

Travel / Work restrictions,  want that ?

Money devaluation for abroad ? 

Restrictions or the running out of some basic stuff,  any good to you ? 

So,  a lot of people out there are actually choosing the above as the way forward.  It makes no ****ing sense.  Something else is going on i am 100% sure.  I don't know,  it seems so weird.  I am not there so I can look at it from the outside.  I genuinely think its so odd.

When someone said "Cake or Death" as a joke,  it's funny becasue the extreme underlying comedy stance is  'nobody would ever choose death so the question is moot" ,  is it I ask myself.  Is it ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
Syntax error on Line 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

This is why my brain can't or won't try and compute this.  It is so illogical as to fly in the face of of many things that i thought were set in stone.

5 years ago these questions seem obvious but now ?

Quality of life in general,  would you like it to improve or get worse ?

Do you want less money in your pocket ?

Travel / Work restrictions,  want that ?

Money devaluation for abroad ? 

Restrictions or the running out of some basic stuff,  any good to you ? 

So,  a lot of people out there are actually choosing the above as the way forward.  It makes no ****ing sense.  Something else is going on i am 100% sure.  I don't know,  it seems so weird.  I am not there so I can look at it from the outside.  I genuinely think its so odd.

When someone said "Cake or Death" as a joke,  it's funny becasue the extreme underlying comedy stance is  'nobody would ever choose death so the question is moot" ,  is it I ask myself.  Is it ?

It makes sense if you assume that those people decided that they didn't believe any of your points...

Or if they believed points from "their" side that the EU was making most of our laws without us having any say or 100m+ Turkish people were going to be moving into a suburb near you in the very near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

The only way that Brexit would have worked though is through gradual change. The systems are far too intertwined for a “clean break”, hence the utter confusion and mess we could be heading into. Rather than a “right we’re off, f*** you” mandate, it should have been treated as a change of policy and started the gradual process. If in years to come, we wanted to change trade agreements, then we could then but let’s maintain stability.

This, this, this, a million times this. I've always conceded that there is a case for leaving the EU, just as there is for remaining. But getting out is of necessity a complex business that takes careful planning. If the referendum had been treated as what it actually was (an opinion poll), we could have said "OK, looks like there is some disquiet about our membership. Let's look into the pros and cons of leaving, work out what the impact might be, and how we could go about it with the minimal disruption, and we'll get back to you". But no, we got this suicidal mania that a depressed lemming would baulk at. It's beyond insane. 

• Like 4

The Brexit Party has announced its general election candidate for Rutland and Melton, a constituency which includes the Vale of Belvoir.

Jim Bennett is a 70-year-old armed forces veteran who served 37 years in the RAF.

Born in Scotland, Jim now lives at Sudbrooke, near Lincoln, and has lived in Lincolnshire for 18 years

His RAF service has seen him located at many bases between the Shetlands and Cornwall. He also served in Kuwait, Cyprus, Germany and Belgium and his last 'tour' was at RAF Waddington.

The father of four adult children has also served 10 years as a Justice of the Peace, 10 years as a parish councillor in Skellingthorpe and spent 11 years working in schools with children who have special needs.

Jim says he was previously an Independent councillor and joining the Brexit Party is his first foray into party politics.

"It's because of what I feel about Brexit, that the people have been let down," he said.

"We are being badly ignored and it looks as if Boris Johnson will do the same again."

Despite not living in the constituency, Jim says he knows it well by living in Lincolnshire for 18 years. If elected, Jim pledged he would move into the constituency.

He added: "What’s more, I will campaign tirelessly for a clean break Brexit as this will give us the greatest chance of world-class free trading success. Let’s not forget, in the first Elizabethan era, we discovered new lands, vanquished malevolent enemies and brought untold wealth back to our fantastic island.

"And with a clean break Brexit, we can do exactly the same again, bringing huge prosperity into our midst, amongst many other things, helping our cash strapped public services achieve unparalleled proficiency."

Grantham Journal

There are people who actually think like this. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

When is prorogation ‘improper’?

What would make Boris Johnson’s prorogation of Parliament ‘improper’? Anne Twomey (University of Sydney) argues that the Supreme Court should focus on the fact that the PM has lost the confidence of the Commons – which is a breach of constitutional principle – rather than on the political advantages he might secure by shutting down Parliament.

Prorogation is primarily a procedural exercise which ends a session of parliament and terminates any unfinished business, such as bills or resolutions, before the Houses. Under the system of responsible government, the government holds the confidence of the lower House of Parliament, and hence any act of prorogation is ordinarily one that is supported by a majority of the lower House. Prorogation, therefore, usually entails the cooperation and support of both the government and the House from which the government is formed.

The reason why the recent prorogation of the UK Parliament has been so controversial is that the government appears no longer to hold the confidence of the House. The Johnson government has never received a vote of confidence, either implicit (such as the passage of a budgetary measure or a vote supporting the Queen’s Speech) or explicit, and has been defeated upon a major bill as well as two resolutions for a dissolution.

Where prorogation is undertaken at the behest of a government which has, or appears likely to have, lost the confidence of the lower House, and is done for the purpose of avoiding a vote of no confidence or other action by Parliament against the government’s will (which may amount to an implied vote of no confidence), then such action may be regarded as ‘unconstitutional’ and may legitimately be rejected by the Queen or her vice-regal representative in the other Realms. Hence, in Canada a number of eminent constitutional scholars took the view that the Governor-General would have been entitled to refuse the request of Prime Minister Harper to prorogue Parliament in 2008, when he appeared to have lost the confidence of the lower House, but not in 2009 when confidence was not in issue, but the alleged motive for the prorogation of Parliament was to prevent scrutiny by a parliamentary inquiry.

In the current Supreme Court proceedings, if the Court were minded to limit the scope of the power to prorogue by reference to whether or not it was exercised for an improper purpose, it should be cautious about assessing ‘improper purpose’ by reference to political advantage. Instead, an alternative would be to limit improper purposes to only those purposes that involve a breach of constitutional principle, such as the exercise of prorogation when the government has lost the confidence of the House, or is seeking to avoid a vote of no confidence against it. This would be consistent with the propositions that it is the common law that determines the existence and scope of prerogative powers, and that the common law must be interpreted in a manner that is consistent with the constitution.

Full blog on link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

F*** You! You're only judges, why do you think I care?

Anyone criminal saying that in court would get the maximum sentence possible

I'm absolutely not sorry and I'd do it again

Book thrown from bench

• Like 1

Â