The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

CztzcTtXcAAPkXw.jpg

That’s just some bigot.

Another towering intellect with zero people skills. Politics appears to attract clever robots and idiot populists.

Oh for somebody radically middle of the road. Is middle of the road really such a dangerous place to be?

Then you look at people pitching themselves as centrist, and you get Stephen overseas address for tax purposes Kinnock.

• Like 1

Well it seems spending on public services is back in fashion. This is a move purely intended to steal some of Labours thunder in an election campaign and a smokescreen for the oversrching plan of crashing the economy and selling off the crown jewels to American pharmaceutical conglomerates following a no deal Brexit. 

Johnson's leadership style reminds me somewhat of Joffery Baratheon. I think I should make that into a meme. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

@mjmooney ..nope me neither :)

Me three.

I’m gonna guess, either a character in original comic series Batman (and by batman, I include Star Wars and Space 1999 and all that), or, a character from a niche comedy show on channel 4 ten years ago (see also Nathan Barley).

(googled it, yeah I’d file that under batman)

Edited by chrisp65
  • Haha 1

On 03/09/2019 at 09:16, bickster said:

reselected yesterday

and ditched yesterday 

Last night Philip Hammond had the Conservative Whip removed by the Chief Whip.

This means that he is no longer a Conservative MP and will not be eligible to stand as the Conservative candidate for Runnymede and Weybridge.

A new Conservative candidate will be selected by the membership in due course.

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

@mjmooney ..nope me neither :)

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Me three.

I’m gonna guess, either a character in original comic series Batman (and by batman, I include Star Wars and Space 1999 and all that), or, a character from a niche comedy show on channel 4 ten years ago (see also Nathan Barley).

(googled it, yeah I’d file that under batman)

Not Game of Thrones fans then? 

angry game of thrones GIF

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and ditched yesterday 

This means that he is no longer a Conservative MP and will not be eligible to stand as the Conservative candidate for Runnymede and Weybridge.

I'm thinking there may be more legs in this story, a few more twists and turns to come. Hammond represented a marginal remain constituency

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

and ditched yesterday 

Hammond has also come out saying he will fight tooth and nail to stand. Either he will get it, or he will run anyway against the Conservative candidate. Given he has been their MP for 22 years with over 20,000 majority, I think he would have built up some goodwill in the constituency...

6 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Not Game of Thrones fans then? 

angry game of thrones GIF

I believe its pretend sort of mediaeval fighting men, in dressing up clothes, with dragons, and female characters have to flash some titty.

I’m scoring a 1 out of 4 on that target demographic...

I bloody love dressing up clothes.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Hammond has also come out saying he will fight tooth and nail to stand. Either he will get it, or he will run anyway against the Conservative candidate. Given he has been their MP for 22 years with over 20,000 majority, I think he would have built up some goodwill in the constituency...

My understanding is that the Tory rulebook is clear, and that ultimately the leader has the ability to deselect candidates. I guess they might back down over withdrawing the whip, but based on what I've read, the idea of a legal challenge is going nowhere. 

I agree that Hammond may well run again anyway as an 'Independent Conservative' or something similar, and it's not out of the question that he might win. 

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My understanding is that the Tory rulebook is clear, and that ultimately the leader has the ability to deselect candidates. I guess they might back down over withdrawing the whip, but based on what I've read, the idea of a legal challenge is going nowhere. 

I agree that Hammond may well run again anyway as an 'Independent Conservative' or something similar, and it's not out of the question that he might win. 

Either way, it will be an unwelcomed distraction for the Tories.

20 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

it's my constituency  ... but tbh i couldn't tell you if he's popular or not  .... he wins mainly  because the Tory party could put a stick up for election here and it would win   .. if he stood as an Indie he might split the Tory vote and let labour in , these are the strange times we are living in 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, blandy said:

There's plenty to go at him for, but that's not one of them.

He moved his address between Denmark and Switzerland, claiming at first that he lived most of the time with his family in Denmark. Then when they investigated, he remembered he was actually living away from his family, in Switzerland.

Like when he mis remembered whether his children were privately educated.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A lot of independents and those crossing the floor might have a shock when their loyal constituents turn out to be loyal to a rosette, not them.

A fair amount of them have siad they would stand down at the next election.

as @tonyh29 said a few posts ago, those that will stand as independents are likely to split the vote in their consituency between the Tory voters who want to leave and those that want to remain or leave with a sensible compromise. Combine that with the "cult of Farage" throwing their spanner into the works and in some cases that could bring those seats into play.

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He moved his address between Denmark and Switzerland, claiming at first that he lived most of the time with his family in Denmark. Then when they investigated, he remembered he was actually living away from his family, in Switzerland.

Like when he mis remembered whether his children were privately educated.

He and his Danish wife lived and worked in Switzerland. When she wanted to progress in Danish politics, she said they had a family home in Denmark (as you would) on her website.

Personally I think you're looking at the actions (in this instance) of the wife and pointing at him.

The Kids thing - yeah exactly. Plenty to go at him for.

• Like 1

Â