The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Remember how Brexit always meant being outside the Single Market, and how anyone who doesn't want a quarter-witted crash out onto WTO terms is a treachorous remoaner?

Has something happened today? I thought it was the Brexiters clai m before the ref that we'd stay in the SM and CU (or get exactly the same benefits) and then afterwards it was all about the vote was clear we have to leave the single market and the CU and they're red lines  - are we now not going to do that (would be great if we stay in them, one way or another).

13 minutes ago, snowychap said:

:o

We're not leaving with no deal, so it'll eventually get out via some leak or other, probably strategically timed to do as much damage to the throbbers and May as possible.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

We're not leaving with no deal

I know you keep saying this but this is no more than your opinion.

Part of the reason for the mess that we find ourselves in now (and the mess we'll likely find ourselves in for the next however many years) is that there has been insufficient planning or thought in the way of properly preparing for potential eventualities, e.g. no preparation for what was actually to happen after the referendum.

People (or in this case, businesses) need to know as much information as they possibly can so that they can make their own decisions as to what preparations they make.

Someone's claim on the internet that they can see in to the future with certainty isn't really a sensible input in to this.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

this is no more than your opinion.

That's, just, like, your opinion Man.

The_Dude.jpg

it's a statement of the bleedin' obvious (on my planet)

• Haha 1

The rewriting of history continues.

Yes she's Nadine Dorries, and she's thick as mince but she's an elected MP. This, alongside IDS going on Bloomburg stating that the majority wanted No Deal now is horrific.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

it's a statement of the bleedin' obvious (on my planet)

No. You need to stop this. You keep on repeating this as though it's fact and that it is something that is 100% certain. It isn't.

Yes, you may wholeheartedly believe that this is an event that just won't happen but that is all that it is. It is not fact. It is your opinion.

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Part of the reason for the mess that we find ourselves in now (and the mess we'll likely find ourselves in for the next however many years) is that there has been insufficient planning or thought in the way of properly preparing for potential eventualities, e.g. no preparation for what was actually to happen after the referendum.

People (or in this case, businesses) need to know as much information as they possibly can so that they can make their own decisions as to what preparations they make.

Someone's claim on the internet that they can see in to the future with certainty isn't really a sensible input in to this.

Absolutely agree with the first bit

And the second.

The third bit is....well.... Little ol' me having an opinion and typing it down. And on VT of all places!! The very font of knowledge to which businesses flock for their Brexity advice needs. I mean that kindly, because you're accusing me of "not really sensible" in a thread about Brexit!  Brexit -  the least sensible thing this country has ever (arguably) entered into. It's the absolute definitiion of barking, so I reserve the right to voice an opinion that "no deal" is not going to happen. You may reserve the right to ridicule me if it happens.

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It is not fact. It is your opinion.

Yes. That's right. Who on earth said it's "fact", exactly? I write down my opinion and you, yours.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yes. That's right. Who on earth said it's "fact", exactly? I write down my opinion and you, yours.

The wording and the way you present it.

If you are conceding that leaving without a deal is actually a possibility (however much you don't see it happening in your opinion) then I'll view the next time you undoubtedly repeat the assertion with that in mind.

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

You may reserve the right to ridicule me if it happens.

It's not about 'ridiculing' you or anyone else if it happens. I couldn't give a monkeys how accurate your predictions of the future are.

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

you're accusing me of "not really sensible" in a thread about Brexit!  Brexit -  the least sensible thing this country has ever (arguably) entered into. It's the absolute definitiion of barking

That's just bizarre.

Yes, I'm accusing you of not making a sensible input on this particular point (in relation here, specifically, to the level of information that is being made available to businesses to aid their preparedness).

But to make some bizarre, general point that because Brexit itself isn't sensible this allows for comments on it to fail to be (sensible) is quite remarkable.

Thanks but if that's where you want to go with it then I'm off to do something infintely more worthwhile. Ta ta. :wave:

I think I explained many weeks ago why I don't think no deal is going to happen and why we won't be leaving on 29 March. The underlying arguments being no one apart from throbbers wants no deal. Not the majority of parliament, not the population, not the EU - no one but a nub of absolute A-holes. The reasons no one else wants it range from it'll be utterly catastrophic for the UK, to it'll be damaging to the EU, to people being remainers, to all kinds - as you say the impact on businesses and such like. I've said that I think May is just using the "threat" to try and get remainers in her party and Labour to back her lousy deal. I think parliament will take it off the table shortly, one way or the other.

There's also the issue of the UK is not actually ready for Brexit to happen on 29 March - the various laws that have to be in place are not remotely ready and aren't remotely likely to be ready in just over 3 and a half weeks time. Basically an extension is inevitable, however unpalatable it is to the EU, UK, whoever. It's just a game now as to politically who takes the rap for delaying Brexit. As the UK has to ask, May doesn't want it to be her, he wants to be able to blame someone else, ideally Labour,  in her eyes, or if not, then remainers in her party. 

I thought a cataclysm would have happened by now to get May out of the way, or to change her pig-headed stance, but so far they've bottled it. I still think the cataclysm will happen, because basically the EU holds all the cards. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The rewriting of history continues.

Yes she's Nadine Dorries, and she's thick as mince but she's an elected MP. This, alongside IDS going on Bloomburg stating that the majority wanted No Deal now is horrific.

I cannot fathom why anybody in their right mind (I suppose there's a clue there) would actually WANT No Deal? I'm pretty sure that the single-figure-IQ/EDL /UKIP/sha fan type likes the phrase because it sounds like "no surrender" - doing a "deal" with the evil enemy foreigners is obviously BAD. So, hey, let's not be able to sell them anything. Let's not be able to buy anything off them. What possible problem could there be, eh? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know you keep saying this but this is no more than your opinion.

**** business I need to know if I need to convert my drivers license or not, getting very last minute now. €180 **** euros too, and you have to renew every **** 10 years here. Thanks Brexiteers. 

Seriously though, that's just an illustration of one tiny thing, I've had to fork out for passports for my kids in case the now super racist UK decide that they might not be British enough for a passport, easier to renew once you have one than get one. This is just little old me, I can't imagine how much of a mind **** this situation is if you have a business that makes stuff with parts from like 10 different countries and sell all over the world. It is frankly nothing short of total insanity that we are now 23 days from potentially totally destroying the UK and a certain xenophobic reactionary loony bunch of clearings in the woods are just driving straight at the cliff edge at high speed laughing and dragging us all behind them. 

On 05/03/2019 at 15:37, Xann said:

53145791_10156793175825042_7261060500752957440_n.jpg

This says it all, the toffs have cut state spending by 40% (that's just so insane I can't even begin to say what I think about that) whilst not reducing the deficit and giving themselves tax breaks in the process. They will glessfully rid the UK of EU subsidies which go to those most in need in order to fund more tax breaks that benefit only the rich, whilst making a crapload of cash manipulating the pound/euro exchange rate with insane statements to provoke volatility which they anticipate. The above makes no mention of farming either, loads of farmers voted for it, it's an £8.5bn industry of which £4bn is EU subsidies, talk about turkeys voting for xmas, that means half of them are going to go to the wall if Rees-Mogg and the Eton crew get their way. At a time when the UK will need to grow more of it's own food. 

I hope that some sort of Mueller inquiry is going to happen about the amount of Russian social media manipulation that went on and the funding of the Brexit campaign and links therein. This period in history is seeing aggressive Russian manipulation of foreign elections, it all seems to be a reaction to the EU sweet talking the Ukraine into joining and then Putin deciding that enough was enough and grabbing Crimea.

Sorry for the long post but really, I used to be proud of being from the UK for a whole bunch of reasons (NHS, multi-ethnic society that made some astounding art/music etc, trade union movement, invention, free schooling to PHD) and most of them have been pissed up the wall, this Brexit stuff is the last straw.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I cannot fathom why anybody in their right mind (I suppose there's a clue there) would actually WANT No Deal? I'm pretty sure that the single-figure-IQ/EDL /UKIP/sha fan type likes the phrase because it sounds like "no surrender" - doing a "deal" with the evil enemy foreigners is obviously BAD. So, hey, let's not be able to sell them anything. Let's not be able to buy anything off them. What possible problem could there be, eh? 

A few businesses would benefit in some ways.

As for the population generally... The real knuckle draggers who are just dead set against the for'ners cos Britain is Great are beyond help and reason. There's some evidence a lot of people are confused about what No Deal actually means, thinking it's like a transactional deal where if nothing is agreed nothing changes. There's also undoubtedly a few who don't get it, don't understand what it means, don't care to understand what it means and ultimately don't care so all of its meaningless, they just heard the EU was bad for decades, voted Leave and now don't care. And there's the 'intellectual' ones who basically front up against being told by the people that get it it'll be a nightmare with variations of '... nah, won't happen' and therefore don't really care either.

It all boils down to referendums being **** stupid because most people are ignorant. Now as the conversation has developed a bunch of people they like are rewriting history, even in the face of glaring slabs of Truth and Understanding, so they agree with the false history and now Leave means No Deal. Which is mental.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think I explained many weeks ago why I don't think no deal is going to happen

You did explain your reasoning. I think it's quite flawed but that's not a problem - you have your opinion, I have mine. Your explanations for holding yours don't need repeating.

I objected to the way you framed your opinion (I'll take your response to my earlier post that you have conceded that this isn't fact and that what you don't think will happen is a possibility however much you may be convinced that it won't occur) and the way it was presented in response to what is a pretty shockingly poor decision from the government (add it to the catalogue).

27 minutes ago, romavillan said:

**** business

Boris, is that you? :D

Seriously, I obviously have sympathy for the differing predicaments that people have been put in whether they''re in the UK or in the rest of the EU.

• Haha 1

Â