The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There's a fair chance that the likes of Boles et al. might get booted in favour of new No Deal advocates, isn't there?

Yes, I think so. I remember that there were moves afoot to deselect him specifically a couple of weeks ago, which I don't know how far they've got, and of course there might be others from that group. 

However, from the PM's perspective, this group are also troublemakers, who are reluctant to vote for her WA, so presumably she wouldn't be too sad to see them go. I don't have a good handle on how Tories select candidates, so I'm not sure how much say local constituencies get in who their candidate is if it's an opposition-held constituency; presumably her hope would be a reliable group of May-loyalists could take Labour seats and improve her maths. 

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If a general election happens now that would just be utterly stupid. Complete waste of time. All Labour have to do is opposite Brexit and then at least it might be somewhat worthwhile.

That's exactly what they should do, go full on remain.  It may require Corbyn and co to give up control of the party though.  A leadership challenge would throw a spanner in the works.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I think so. I remember that there were moves afoot to deselect him specifically a couple of weeks ago, which I don't know how far they've got, and of course there might be others from that group. 

However, from the PM's perspective, this group are also troublemakers, who are reluctant to vote for her WA, so presumably she wouldn't be too sad to see them go. I don't have a good handle on how Tories select candidates, so I'm not sure how much say local constituencies get in who their candidate is if it's an opposition-held constituency; presumably her hope would be a reliable group of May-loyalists could take Labour seats and improve her maths. 

Not sure on the procedures myself, either.

I'm pretty sure Boles voted for her deal, didn't he?

Yep, I guess they are all troublemakers. I wonder, though, if an election were to be called whether there would be a huge influx of hard brexiteers as candidates (as per the party membership wishes) if that's something possible under their selection procedures.

It would be peak May if she were to be in a position where an election gave her an actual majority government but an increased number of No Deal Brexit rebels! :)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Not sure on the procedures myself, either.

Yep, I guess they are all troublemakers. I wonder, though, if an election were to be called whether there would be a huge influx of hard brexiteers as candidates (as per the party membership wishes) if that's something possible under their selection procedures.

It would be peak May if she were to be in a position where an election gave her an actual majority government but an increased number of No Deal Brexit rebels! :)

Given something like 8 or 9 out of 10 Tory members want a No Deal according to that polling recently, it might be hard to find anyone else willing to stand . . .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Boles was in hot water with his constituency because he basically insinuated that he would vote to bring the Government down if that's what it took to prevent no deal.

Leaving "with a deal or not at all" were his words in Parliament if I recall rightly.

I'm guessing that CCPs aren't too fond of hearing their MPs threaten to bring down a Tory Government.

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Boles was in hot water with his constituency because he basically insinuated that he would vote to bring the Government down if that's what it took to prevent no deal.

Leaving "with a deal or not at all" were his words in Parliament if I recall rightly.

I'm guessing that CCPs aren't too fond of hearing their MPs threaten to bring down a Tory Government.

Sure. I know all that.

It was more about the parliamentary arithmetic for her deal in the event of a General Election, i.e. that it might well not just be about a simple increase in numbers of Tories and that an increase in Tory MPs might mean even fewer people supporting her deal.

Edited by snowychap

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

assuming you were directing that question to me then  No , because I was saying it from pretty much the the start of Article 50 and not as of Wednesday

the rest of your post , Ive not been advocating any of this is Corbyns fault  , but the reasons you start why May won't reason are pretty the same reasons why Corbyn wants her to

I would have thought that goes without saying. Leader of opposition trying to topple sitting govt - thats pretty much how it works - I don't see why corbyn should be derided for that.

We are at an impasse - TM has to get her own troops on board - If thats means going, or going to country so be it - the odds are still in her favour - and A.N other tory leader would increase those odds further. 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

election will be yet more waste of time and money as it doesn't address the way to deal with Brexit

I think it does - a bigger tory majority would get a brexit bill passed - whats in that bill however...........

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Sure. I know all that.

It was more about the parliamentary arithmetic for her deal in the event of a General Election, i.e. that it might well not just be about a simple increase in numbers of Tories and that an increase in Tory MPs might mean even fewer people supporting her deal.

It might get weird even before then.

Given how big Mogg and his gang have been on "we just want her to implement the manifesto we were elected on", it'll be interesting to see the hardcore crowd on either side square their consciences with standing on a 2019 Theresa May Brexit election manifesto.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It might get weird even before then.

Given how big Mogg and his gang have been on "we just want her to implement the manifesto we were elected on", it'll be interesting to see the hardcore crowd on either side square their consciences with standing on a 2019 Theresa May Brexit election manifesto.

Yes, I wonder who'll draw the short straw writing that chap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Indeed.

Leaving aside the history of how we got to where we are, it's blatantly apparent that Corbyn (as with the Referendum campaign) is a) not that arsed about Brexit, really and b) will under no circumstances deign to share a room or platform or talks with other parties. He's declined to jointly campaign to remain, he's declined to work with SNP PC, Green and Lib Dems to work against the tories and now he won't talk to May (unless pre-conditions...).

Both May and Corbyn are absolute road-blocks, obstacles, impediments, whatever the right word is to resolving the situation. That's been obvious for quite a long time. Neither is remotely interested in the best interests of the UK, both are obsessed with their own personal "vision" of "how things should be", and utterly fail to understand or deal with how things currently are and how to collaboratively work towards making them better. They are not listeners, they are not flexible, they are completely set on their own belief sets and will move only in so much as to ensure their own survival. They will claim  to listen, to be democratic and all the rest on the rare instance that others agree with them. If others don't, they show their true natures.

May is obsessed with immigration (stopping free movement) and Corbyn with a false belief that the EU rules would stop his 1970s utopia. They're both caught up in the past and utterly unfit for their jobs. 

Except one runs the country and the other leads the opposition

10 hours ago, hippo said:

The government of the day passes legislation and has a responsibility to get things done - thats the job of the government not the opposition. 

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I was giving an opinion on how best to keep her on a hot spike and not allow her to deflect blame or change the conversation.

• Like 1

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Commission indicated on Friday that Britons would need to choose their representatives to the next European Parliament if the country were to stay in the European Union beyond the first sitting of the new assembly on July 2.

Reuters

Now, that's trolling and clever at the same time

56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

I was giving an opinion on how best to keep her on a hot spike and not allow her to deflect blame or change the conversation.

Ok maybe I misread you. I sensed an accusation of high treason because the opposition would co operate with the government !!!!

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ok maybe I misread you. I sensed an accusation of high treason because the opposition would co operate with the government !!!!

No probs.

I'm quite neutral on politics, but I do find some tories can sometimes be a little out of alignment with my views, if I was to be hyper critical.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

No probs.

I'm quite neutral on politics, but I do find some tories can sometimes be a little out of alignment with my views, if I was to be hyper critical.

Thats ok ....I think people search for a polictal party which they are 100% in agreement with ...

I try to look for one that in principle I agree with the broad thrust of what they are proposing.

Â