The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Fair point. I think there's been evidence out there (not that I can directly cite it now as I'm supposed to be working 😉!) that international investment in the UK dropped markedly as a result of the current situation.

I suspect there are different sources and different definitions of international investment  , but some indications are that they are increasing

The UK remains a top destination for foreign investment, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), with investment increasing by 12.6% last year

The value of the UK’s foreign direct investment (FDI) rose by £149bn to £1.3bn in 2017.

Investment into the UK from foreign companies rose to the highest level ever recorded last year as investors shrug off Brexit worries.

The largest growth in investment earnings was seen in the manufacturing sector, whose value was £10bn higher in 2017 than in 2016.

Mining and quarrying and financial services also saw significant growth.

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

following on from the woman who wont resign  whilst telling MP's to put self-interest aside   ,  we now have the man who met with the likes of Hamas and the IRA without preconditions in order  to encourage dialogue between "all sides"   .. refusing to meet with UK government

Indeed.

Leaving aside the history of how we got to where we are, it's blatantly apparent that Corbyn (as with the Referendum campaign) is a) not that arsed about Brexit, really and b) will under no circumstances deign to share a room or platform or talks with other parties. He's declined to jointly campaign to remain, he's declined to work with SNP PC, Green and Lib Dems to work against the tories and now he won't talk to May (unless pre-conditions...).

Both May and Corbyn are absolute road-blocks, obstacles, impediments, whatever the right word is to resolving the situation. That's been obvious for quite a long time. Neither is remotely interested in the best interests of the UK, both are obsessed with their own personal "vision" of "how things should be", and utterly fail to understand or deal with how things currently are and how to collaboratively work towards making them better. They are not listeners, they are not flexible, they are completely set on their own belief sets and will move only in so much as to ensure their own survival. They will claim  to listen, to be democratic and all the rest on the rare instance that others agree with them. If others don't, they show their true natures.

May is obsessed with immigration (stopping free movement) and Corbyn with a false belief that the EU rules would stop his 1970s utopia. They're both caught up in the past and utterly unfit for their jobs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I suspect there are different sources and different definitions of international investment  , but some indications are that they are increasing

The other day (different thing, but related) I heard this on the news

UK financial services industry moves $1 trillion in assets to Europe due to Brexit, survey says

• Financial services firms have declared they are moving $1 trillion in assets out of the U.K.
  • A third of the 222 companies tracked in the study expressed intentions to relocate operations.
  • However, EY said the amount was small in relation to the overall size of Britain’s financial sector.

It's completely clear that Brexit is (and more importantly will, once it's happened), have a negative effect on the UK economy and wealth and jobs and the labour market and so on. Even Jacob Mogg has moved funds to Ireland ffs. 

Insurance companies and banks have been shifting capacity, jobs etc to various European capitals for the past 18 months.

Of course for the Brexiteers, this either isn't happening, is happening but actually isn't that bad, or is happening for some reason that totally isn't Brexit.

Just now, Chindie said:

Insurance companies and banks have been shifting capacity, jobs etc to various European capitals for the past 18 months.

Of course for the Brexiteers, this either isn't happening, is happening but actually isn't that bad, or is happening for some reason that totally isn't Brexit.

Image result for head in sand gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Even Jacob Mogg has moved funds to Ireland ffs. 

to my knowledge  he isn't even involved in the fund day to day management in the way you suggest so that may not be a strictly fair example

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

to my knowledge  he isn't even involved in the fund day to day management in the way you suggest so that may not be a strictly fair example

No, no, of course not....a chap simply wouldn't do that. He merely part owns the business and is paid £14,500 a month for his working there (30 hours a month, he says). I doubt he'd have any influence, as owner and highly paid employee on what the business does, investment wise. Completely disconnected. Silly me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Even Lord Snooty himself hasn't attempted that line

of course there is some movement out and of course some of it is going to be Brexit related  ..but the City is not a static entity 

Insurance companies and banks have also been shifting capacity, jobs etc from European capitals to London  for the past 18 months.

Marsh and McLennan have also purchased JLT (or about to) in a show of confidence in the UK sector   ..one of the Spanish Insurance giants is moving its head office to London  , one of the European investment bank recently announced  a new London office

but instead of discussing the documented claims of record investment lets just make comments about Brexiters instead

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

actually I'm fairly sure it was his words that I used for my post :)

His usual defence is a blustery, "different funds require different circumstances" bollocks

EDIT: Either way its horseshit

EDIT: its complete and utter Horseshit, he's one of the co-founders of the company

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

His usual defence is a blustery, "different funds require different circumstances" bollocks

EDIT: Either way its horseshit

EDIT: its complete and utter Horseshit, he's one of the co-founders of the company

Co-founders don't necessarily make day to day decisions  , I worked at de zoete wedd for a few years and one of the co-founders was on the board ..trust me when i say nothing he said was used in day to day decisions :)

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Co-founders don't necessarily make day to day decisions  , I worked at de zoete wedd for a few years and one of the co-founders was on the board ..trust me when i say nothing he said was used in day to day decisions :)

Starting a fund in a foreign country isn't a "day to day decision". He doesn't make investment decisions but he sure as hell does have a say in policy and major expansions, change in services offered etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I agree  , I've said before the whole Brexit thing should have been cross party ( excluding the SNP of course :P)

I don't agree with the Lithuania line simply as businesses move all the time for non Brexit reasons ,JLR last week being a prime example .. but Brexit will be an convenient scapegoat for every bit of bad news   ( will play very nicely to a certain crowd who will be looking for something to blame ;) )

So the party that they and the media mates have trashed in public over and over , and accused have 'no idea for brexit' are now key to delivering Brexit  ? - This ones on the tories, they called the referendum, they set the red lines,  

FWIW - May should resign, get a new leader, call a GE - which I believe the Tories would win with an overall majority - then put your Brexit plans to parliament - why isn't that happening ? - Because TM wants to as PM , and there is a risk ...albeit small , they  may not win a GE - thats why we are at deadlock - not much to do with Corbyn. 

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

of course there is some movement out and of course some of it is going to be Brexit related  ..but the City is not a static entity 

Insurance companies and banks have also been shifting capacity, jobs etc from European capitals to London  for the past 18 months.

Marsh and McLennan have also purchased JLT (or about to) in a show of confidence in the UK sector   ..one of the Spanish Insurance giants is moving its head office to London  , one of the European investment bank recently announced  a new London office

but instead of discussing the documented claims of record investment lets just make comments about Brexiters instead

MMC merging with JLT isn't a ringing endorsement of post-Brexit Britain. JLT has had suitors for years - the insurance broking industry in the last few years has seen an increase in the large brokers snapping up medium sized and smaller ones as a straightforward way of growth. Brokers have even been founded recently purely with a business plan of acquiring various small local brokers with a view to rapid expansion and a sale down the line to a global name. In the case of MMC and JLT, MMC has hovered lower than its rivals in growth in recent years, despite being massive and having hugely diverse interests across financial services globally, they've struggled to grow in some sectors. JLT has surprising footholds in Latin America, where Marsh hasn't grown as well as it would like, and the merger also allows cost savings. The merger is less about confidence in Britain and more MMC jumping before anyone else did (and JLT keen to accept), hence why it got agreed stupidly quickly and MMC offered a comparatively large figure.

As for insurers, I've no idea who the 'Spanish giant' is, but I do know the list of insurers shifting around Europe from the UK is vast. Just the other day QBE were granted a shift to Brussels which would see I think a quarter of one of their businesses moved. And even where these new European subsidiaries are not going to be enormous moves (the old favourite of London being shuttered is a strawman), it's hardly a ringing endorsement of Brexit that any money or jobs leaves Britain as a result.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

So the party that they and the media mates have trashed in public over and over , and accused have 'no idea for brexit' are now key to delivering Brexit  ? - This ones on the tories, they called the referendum, they set the red lines,  

FWIW - May should resign, get a new leader, call a GE - which I believe the Tories would win with an overall majority - then put your Brexit plans to parliament - why isn't that happening ? - Because TM wants to as PM , and there is a risk ...albeit small , they  may not win a GE - thats why we are at deadlock - not much to do with Corbyn. 

assuming you were directing that question to me then  No , because I was saying it from pretty much the the start of Article 50 and not as of Wednesday

the rest of your post , Ive not been advocating any of this is Corbyns fault  , but the reasons you start why May won't reason are pretty the same reasons why Corbyn wants her to

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

MMC merging with JLT isn't a ringing endorsement of post-Brexit Britain. JLT has had suitors for years - the insurance broking industry in the last few years has seen an increase in the large brokers snapping up medium sized and smaller ones as a straightforward way of growth. Brokers have even been founded recently purely with a business plan of acquiring various small local brokers with a view to rapid expansion and a sale down the line to a global name. In the case of MMC and JLT, MMC has hovered lower than its rivals in growth in recent years, despite being massive and having hugely diverse interests across financial services globally, they've struggled to grow in some sectors. JLT has surprising footholds in Latin America, where Marsh hasn't grown as well as it would like, and the merger also allows cost savings. The merger is less about confidence in Britain and more MMC jumping before anyone else did (and JLT keen to accept), hence why it got agreed stupidly quickly and MMC offered a comparatively large figure.

fair enough , you're closer to that area than I am , I've only really seen comment from a MMC chief Exec , who of course is going to be bullish in his appraisal

Â