The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

No formal binding vote on it at all? He’s not going to want to be seen as weak and needing Labour votes to get it through. He’s not going to want be seen as weak and giving in to the throbbing backbench ERG brigade and pulling the agreement because throbbers throbbing scares him.

TBH he could take a lead from Johnson’s behaviour, who chucked a bunch of people out who wouldn’t vote the way he wanted. It would be utterly delicious to see him remove the whip from the likes of Johnson, Francois, Truss and others. …but that’s just wishful thinking on my part.

Raab was on Laura K’s show this morning. He was hinting at their being a vote, rather than a debate or announcement but wouldn’t categorically confirm it despite LK pushing him. I think the real answer was he didn’t know. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Raab was on Laura K’s show this morning. He was hinting at their being a vote, rather than a debate or announcement but wouldn’t categorically confirm it despite LK pushing him. I think the real answer was he didn’t know. 

rainy-day-in-the-rain.gif

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, blandy said:

No formal binding vote on it at all? He’s not going to want to be seen as weak and needing Labour votes to get it through. He’s not going to want be seen as weak and giving in to the throbbing backbench ERG brigade and pulling the agreement because throbbers throbbing scares him.

Then it comes down to whether Labour do want a vote.  As we saw in previous Brexit wars, if a majority in Parliament want to have a vote on something then there are means to ensure that a vote takes place. And Tory Brexit lunatics + all other parties is a majority. So enough to support a random amendment to make the vote happen. 

And I'm pretty sure that Labour are better served by forcing a vote, for all the reasons that Sunak might not want one. Plus it gives Starmer another chance to look all "working in the national interest" again.

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

the remote was on the other sofa…

Oh, man. That sucks. Could no one help you? Maybe a neighbour, by-passer, other family member. It’s so sad when you find out someone was in such a predicament. Thoughts and prayers that eventually the distant remote is returned to its rightful place and you are once again able to turn that sh!t off.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Oh, man. That sucks. Could no one help you? Maybe a neighbour, by-passer, other family member. It’s so sad when you find out someone was in such a predicament. Thoughts and prayers that eventually the distant remote is returned to its rightful place and you are once again able to turn that sh!t off.

Yes, it was a difficult period of my life. Fortunately after a few minutes I summoned the strength to retrieve the remote control but I had already consumed several minutes of Raab talking utter shite 😭

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Is that the new tory groper 3000

They will be fuming, them foreigners cant take their jobs any more so now the machines have moved in

It’s for when the remote is across the room and Laura K is on the tellybox.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I would have called someone, my phones always by my side 😆

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Why is that woman placing plastic bags in trees? It's a bloody outrage it is. 

You know when you go to a park and someone’s stuck a dogshit bag on a branch… that’s her job that is. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

People watch that kind of thing? Willingly?

It's a good cathartic start to a Sunday morning

Prog starts, shout at telly box like you have Tourettes for a short period of time, get on with your day free of stress and completely forgetting what or who was on the programme

Gotta be better than watching Little House on the Prarie and then waiting for Songs of Praise and Antiques Roadshow

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Bit of a stitch up this new NI deal, gonna make the crazies crazier - which is nice. 

In what sense a stitch up? Politically he's gone about everything in a bit of a shambolic way if he hoped to get wider support for it amongst the crazies. But that's his problem to deal with.

The content of what has been (reportedly) agreed all seems pretty sensible. Not perfect, but a small step in the right direction. 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

In what sense a stitch up? Politically he's gone about everything in a bit of a shambolic way if he hoped to get wider support for it amongst the crazies. But that's his problem to deal with.

The content of what has been (reportedly) agreed all seems pretty sensible. Not perfect, but a small step in the right direction. 

I'm all for it - but a stitch up in that Labour will vote for it, and the King has been roped in - the crazies have been circumnavigated, which is for once the right way around on this topic especially. 

Â