The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

FoM being painted a negative makes me the most angry. She's gloating over and over again about stripping people of their rights.

Also, from Twitter:

May’s letter to public riddled with untruths and half-truths

The deal is “in our national interest”

This deal will see the peace, power and prosperity we enjoy as EU members today diminished.

The deal works for “all of our people, whether you voted ‘Leave’ or ‘Remain’”

Both hardline Brexiters and patriotic pro-Europeans have described May’s deal as “the worst of both worlds”. It is a deal that satisfies no one.

The deal will put “an end to vast annual payments to the EU”

We will be paying off the so-called “divorce bill” into the late 2020s.  We’ll end up paying £60-70 billion in the likely event that we extend the Brexit transition period. Even after that, we will continue to pay to access important EU programmes – getting worse value for money on them than we do now.

“We will be able to spend British taxpayers’ money on our own priorities, like the extra £394 million per week that we are investing in our long-term plan for the NHS”

Brexit will damage our economy. In particular, this deal does very little for our vast services sector. That means fewer taxes paid into government coffers, and less money to spend on public services than we would have had.

“We will take back control of our laws”

The UK will follow all EU laws – including new ones – without a say throughout the transition period. In any trade deal with the EU after that, member states want us to follow strict “level playing field” rules on social rights, the environment, state aid, tax and more.

“We will be an independent coastal state once again, with full control over our waters”

The EU is insisting on a deal that keeps “existing reciprocal access and quota shares” in order to avoid us ending up in the notorious “backstop” arrangement.

“UK citizens living elsewhere in the EU” will “have their rights protected”

Except that they won’t have the right to move between the 27 EU countries unless we can agree that in future talks.

“A free trade area will allow goods to flow easily across our borders”

They certainly won’t flow as easily as they do now. The deal misses the prime minister’s goal of “frictionless trade”. Companies will face more checks and paperwork at the border in future.

“Security co-operation will continue, so we can keep our people safe”

Except that this will only happen if we can nail that down in the next phase of the talks. So it’s not a done deal.

“Outside the EU, we will be able to sign new trade deals with other countries”

Our future relationship with the EU will be based on a “single customs territory” – essentially a customs union. Signing free trade deals with non-EU countries would be seriously restricted. But we also risk losing trade deals with 88 countries we already enjoy as EU members. These countries could get backdoor access to our market via the EU without us having access to their markets.

“With Brexit settled, we will be able to focus our energies on the many other important issues facing us here at home”

This deal does not settle Brexit. All the big questions about the future have been kicked down the road. We’ll be in tough negotiations with the EU for years to come, with political factions warring over what Brexit should look like for a long time yet. There will be no energy or money to focus on these vital issues.

The irony of the prime minister’s letter is that she is seeking to appeal to the people over the heads of MPs. The proper way to do that is to hold a People’s Vote – giving the public the chance to stay in the EU if they don’t like her deal.

https://t.co/CGR0jwq35z

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Here you go, because I know you won't go looking for the fact, BEACUSE YOU'RE A LEAVER (haha, I'm tarring you with a brush), here is what you spend your money on;

Tax summary description Description of PESA source (See PESA Table 5.2) Public Sector Expenditure (£bn) %

Overseas Aid Captured under General Public Services, but shown in more detail in table 5.2 7.7 1.1

Bloody money to tanned foreigners less fortunate than us! Take it all back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Expect that number to be going up if we want to strike trade deals with countries across Africa and South East Asia.

Exactly! I don't at all object to foreign aid for the less fortunate. It does slightly aggravate me that it gets used to grease the wheels of industry but that's the world and it won't change because we're in the EU or out. We will still need to pay it to make things happen.

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I love (note, I don't love) that ending FoM is now being painted as the big thing that people voted for. It's just wrong.

It's obviously wrong, but it'll get lapped up by everyone that voted because they think immigration is terrible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The Ghost of Maggie,  not fully utilized yet.  Next week, "I am not for turning" will be used I am sure of it.

I think we're seeing a rerun of "election maybot" where someone somewhere has come up with a soundbite and no matter how many people cringe, how many people snigger, or decide to make it into a sad bingo/drinking game she'll continue to shout "strong and stable" / "it's this deal or no deal" as often as possible.

How, in a country of nearly 70 million, is this the best we can do?

Edited by desensitized43
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I think we're seeing a rerun of "election maybot" where someone somewhere has come up with a soundbite and no matter how many people cringe, how many people snigger, or decide to make it into a sad bingo/drinking game she'll continue to shout "strong and stable" / "it's this deal or no deal" as often as possible.

How, in a country of nearly 70 million, is this the best we can do?

has she said strong and stable recently ?

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

has she said strong and stable recently ?

You misunderstood the post. It means strong and stable has been replaced with "This Deal or No Deal" (A very shit gameshow- I'm claiming it now before some comedian jumps in and does it)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

You misunderstood the post. It means strong and stable has been replaced with "This Deal or No Deal" (A very shit gameshow- I'm claiming it now before some comedian jumps in and does it)

i guess only the OP can answer that question but she'll continue to shout "strong and stable"

would seem to be the clue

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I think we're seeing a rerun

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i guess only the OP can answer that question but she'll continue to shout "strong and stable"

would seem to be the clue

I think then opening sentence gave the game away

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I think then opening sentence gave the game away

As a  verb to re-run means to re-run the same thing

as a singular noun it would mean to run something very similar to before

he used it as a verb * , so :P

* English correction know it alls need not apply

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

As a  verb to re-run means to re-run the same thing

as a singular noun it would mean to run something very similar to before

he used it as a verb * , so :P