The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, villakram said:

AAA rating gone. Cameron is nailed on for the history books now, muppet!

Following in Moody's footsteps.

Luckily the situation is such it shouldn't matter too much, but its still damning. There isn't a 'good' loss of rating.

20 minutes ago, villakram said:

AAA rating gone. Cameron is nailed on for the history books now, muppet!

If you offered me the choice of being in the history books as "the PM that took the UK out of the EU, ripped apart the UK by motivating Scottish independence and a unified Ireland, and took the Pound to its lowest point in several decades, all to hold on to power for one more year", versus being in the history books as "the PM that stuck his cock in a dead pig's mouth", I know what I'd choose. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I wonder if there are more than a few in Whitehall getting their ears bent by very rich and powerful interests from the world of finance and business...?

And if so, how long are they going to ignore them?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, ratings from credit rating agencies aren't important. 

Not true. Many many investment/financial rules are based on them.

The rights/wrongs of this are another discussion altogether.

Edited by villakram
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, villakram said:

That

I work in a field that features them quite heavily. They're quite important in some fields.

11 hours ago, choffer said:

Maybe he's hedging his bets in having a backup plan. I know* he's been making a lot of calls to and about the foreign office this weekend though. 

* Obviously I don't "know" but I have a relatively good source.

Didn't we both just miss the joke, i.e. that a lot of the 'phone calls he made this weekend contained the phrase F Off Osborne?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, villakram said:

The rights/wrongs of this are another discussion altogether.

You're right of course, I'm being simplistic. They matter in as much as people pay attention to them, and they are used for financial decisions.

They are, however, based on very very little in the way of solid information. They even admit this, when they are put under pressure for misrating a bond, when they will claim that they are just offering an opinion. They always lag market information, and you could have quite a strong investment strategy betting against Standard & Poor's. 

The basic point here is that there are many, many things wrong with Brexit, but a credit rating agency downgrade isn't really one of them. Their downgrade is, as usual, lagging behind the financial chaos, which is what actually matters. 

On 6/21/2016 at 10:48, tonyh29 said:

on the subject of food

I read an article that says the EU dump billions of cheap food on Africa whist tariffs make it neigh on impossible for African farmers to compete , end result Africa stays poor and we  send Africa £xxxx  million a year in Aid whilst they stay poor ... Africa can't sell coffee to the EU as it carries a 7.5% tariff  , so it has to sell unroasted green coffee which is a tariff free  .. as a rough idea Africa producing the coffee gets $2.4 bn  , Germany gets $3.8bn from coffee re-exports

30% is the tariff on Cocoa beans I believe

I'm sure there is a better way that works for everyone ?

Wow, now that's the sort of info we should be getting. Thanks so much for posting senor, straight to the research bookmarks!
We needed some positive ones too, that might have helped us with proper and not token reform. 

I've been at Glasto (where my brexit opinion did not go down well) but I was bloody shocked we left, I really didn't see it coming. 
However after all the left wing nonsense this weekend it's become much easier to comprehend why we voted leave.

Think I just read the article, I'm not surprised in the slightest. And even less surprised that nothing has changed, for desire or reducing bureaucracy. 

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Brexit was like the battle of the Somme.

A hell of a lot of noise in the eight days leading up to it.

Delusional intelligence.

Promises of a walkover.

Mass slaughter.

The only result: a bloody big hole to look into.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 4

The petition for another referendum, that got millions of signatures, was actually started by a brexit supporter from Telford, a few weeks ago, because he thought that they were going to lose. Story about it in Shropshire Star.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

The petition for another referendum, that got millions of signatures, was actually started by a brexit supporter from Telford, a few weeks ago, because he thought that they were going to lose. Story about it in Shropshire Star.

And now there's a new joke one about it every day.

"PETITION TO RETAKE 1996 PENALTY SHOUTOUT" HAHAHAHA

Â