The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No, you didn't. You just said that you didn't believe it and that it was unheard of. That's not backing anything up.

Ive made these applications myself for family members. You really do have to get the paper work spot on otherwise they decline it and you have to appeal. I’ve seen it personally which I why I started using a service the council provides to work all through all your paper work before the application is submitted.

If you meet all the rules for residency you will get it. 

A 55 year uk resident getting refused permanent residency (without the chance of appeal) will not happen.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Absolutely mental if she doesn’t get residency.  

I did back it up. A person living hear 55 years and being refused residency is unheard of. So In my opinion that story is far fetched.

I obviously couldn’t back up that particular case without being privy to the full details of the refusal and whether she could appeal. Something that the article wasn’t about to mention as it wouldn’t fit the agenda. 

Plus even if I didn’t back it up, am I not allowed to have an opinion without someone spouting some shit about not fitting world views?

You didn’t back it up and Windrush appears to have completely passed you by.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, meregreen said:

It’s neither bullish or sensational, it’s either true and appalling, or not.

There maybe a bit of sensationalism here. I read the full story again and did a little research, She said it cost her £35 postage, only a little point, but sometimes the devil is in the detail. So I checked some postal prices. Royal mail seemed the most expensive. They generally are. I sent a few things on ebay. I checked the weight of paper. So anyway. to spend £35 with a signature, insurance  and guarenteed next day delivery, I would be able to send over 4000 sheets of A4 paper. For 100 sheets it would cost less than £6

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If you meet all the rules for residency you will get it.

I'm sorry but for all of the experience you now claim to have had and for all of the experience you previously claimed about a family member, the idea that the Home Office does not make mistakes and even errors in law with regard to immigration applications is the most far-fetched thing in this whole exchange.

There are plenty of documented cases where the Home Office has rejected people's applications for various statuses and have made errors and compounded those errors by maintaining their position all the way to the bitter end of any appeals process.

I've posted several in this forum (either in this thread or in the Tory thread) in the past year or so.

That isn't to say that this story is absolutely as it reads or that there may be much more to it but it flatly contradicts your 'if you're eligible, you get it' line.

Edited by snowychap

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I'm sorry but for all of the experience you now claim to have had and for all of the experience you previously claimed about a family member, the idea that the Home Office does not make mistakes and even errors in law with regard to immigration applications is the most far-fetched thing in this whole exchange.

There are plenty of documented cases where the Home Office has rejected people's applications for various statuses and have made errors and compounded those errors by maintaining their position all the way to the bitter end of any appeals process.

I've posted several in this forum (either in this thread or in the Tory thread) in the past year or so.

That isn't to say that this story is absolutely as it reads or that there may be much more to it but it flatly contradicts your 'if you're eligible, you get it' line.

No it doesn’t because you don’t know what paperwork and evidence was submitted and whether it was what the home office asked for.  

Of course mistakes get made whether it’s due to human error or incompetence. It’s why you heave appeals processes. 

But I think we’re starting to move away from the topic of Brexit now so should probably leave it there.

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No it doesn’t

Yes, it does because my comment was not about the validity or otherwise of this individual appplication but in response to your take (on which you based your disbelief) that all those eligible receive the relevant status.

I mean you even accept it by talking about appeals processes, ffs.

Btw, it may well be rather pointless for her to apply for Permanent Residency status now as the document would cease to be valid (for an EEA/EU/Swiss national) at the end of December 2020 (according to the Government's advice, which is, as we know not necessarily to be relied upon).

But I think we’re starting to move away from the topic of Brexit now so should probably leave it there.

Actually, it's pretty much right on topic given the relevance of EU settled status applications, the confusing and contradictory messages coming from the Government and the Home Office on the immigration system and that The Sunday Times ran a story today as per this tweet:

Edited by snowychap

@cyrusr

This article may be of some interest as the author argues that it is very much for courts to get involved:

Prorogation: Constitutional Principle and Law, Fact and Causation

The Prime Minister’s recent announcement that Parliament would be prorogued, thereby severely curtailing the opportunity for parliamentary debate, raises important issues of constitutional principle and law, and also issues concerning fact and causation. They are examined in turn.

Constitutional Principle and Law

We begin with constitutional principle and law. We seek to decide whether the courts should intervene via judicial review, in order to prevent Parliament from being prorogued. We do not, however, begin with a clean slate. We look to case law where the courts have intervened to curtail prerogative power, discern the underlying principles, and then decide whether those are applicable to the case at hand.

• Thanks 1

Am I correct in thinking that Gove has suggested that the government would ignore any parliament ruling that blocked a hard Brexit? 

Wow. Brexit is anarchy. I wish Brexiteers would stop for a minute and open their eyes. They've become so obsessed with this Brexit idea that they're willing to sacrifice literally anything in the persuit of it. It's like a weird cult. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A person living hear 55 years and being refused residency is unheard of. So In my opinion that story is far fetched.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A 55 year uk resident getting refused permanent residency (without the chance of appeal) will not happen.  

Gaston Browne, the Prime Minister of Antigua and Barbuda, has told Sky News' All Out Politics that an apology from the Government over the Windrush issue "would be welcome".

He said it had been a "major concern", but that he was "pleased" the Government had stepped in.

"We have had at least one Antiguan who incidentally has a British passport, who was apparently identified for deportation on the basis that he had no original documents," he revealed.

"He came here about 59-years ago as an infant with his parents, and would have been on his parents' passport.

"Many of these individuals do not have any connection with the country of their birth, would have lived in the UK their entire lives and worked very hard towards the advancement of the UK."

https://news.sky.com/story/live-home-office-unaware-of-windrush-deportations-11334509

Perhaps it depends what you're listening to?

45 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Am I correct in thinking that Gove has suggested that the government would ignore any parliament ruling that blocked a hard Brexit? 

Wow. Brexit is anarchy. I wish Brexiteers would stop for a minute and open their eyes. They've become so obsessed with this Brexit idea that they're willing to sacrifice literally anything in the persuit of it. It's like a weird cult. 

See @mjmooney 's post on the previous page re: Goebbels statement on propaganda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â