The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

28 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I don't know. Having read through that report, I can see there are effective arguments (to me) on both sides and this was only the emergency hearing.

The full hearing is likely to have more arguments put forward and more evidence produced so we can't know how the Court of Session will decide. As per comments in previous posts with @cyrusr, I'm not putting myself forward as anything other than someone reading the stuff that's put out there. I have no expertise in the matter!

Not had a chance to read it yet but that doesn’t surprise me. Given it can be heard properly before it has any effect, they will allow everyone to present the case fully. I am definitely intrigued by the quotes parts you highlighted in your earlier post.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As per my previous comment, this argument is very weak.

Just because she chose to do this (or you would have chosen to do this) does not mean to say that it is the 'logical' or 'common sense' thing to do and, by implication, that people who didn't naturalise have brought this upon themselves (whether or not you add in the last, rather glib, line).

Even allowing for that, to make this argument now to people who didn't do it (for whatever reasons they might have had) is perverse. It implies that they didn't do so because they hadn't properly committed to living in this country. You may not have meant to say that but you have.

The cost issue is obviously different now than it was when your wife did it (but even so 'a few hundred' can be a lot of money to those of us who don't have 'a few hundred' just kicking about).

I won't go in to UK government policy on how secure British citizenship is for dual nationals. ;)

Edit: Nor will I go in to the kind of people who may be completely left out of the whole process (the elderly, infirm, alone, unaware, &c.).

I was specifically trying to avoid saying they brought it upon themselves , though tbf I did undo that with my last sentence :)

it wasn’t a suggestion that they weren’t committed to the British cause by not applying , Its just advantageous for them to have done so ... our Syrian friends from school were living in America when their children were born , their kids have both USA and British passports , that to me is a logical approach and advantageous for the children at a later date ( depending on your view on america I guess !! ) .. maybe citizenship shouldn’t be so clinical but then weren’t a lot of people rushing to get Irish passports after brexit as they saw it as advantageous?

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I was specifically trying to avoid saying they brought it upon themselves , though tbf I did undo that with my last sentence :)

it wasn’t a suggestion that they weren’t committed to the British cause by not applying , Its just advantageous for them to have done so ... our Syrian friends from school were living in America when their children were born , their kids have both USA and British passports , that to me is a logical approach and advantageous for the children at a later date ( depending on your view on america I guess !! ) .. maybe citizenship shouldn’t be so clinical but then weren’t a lot of people rushing to get Irish passports after brexit as they saw it as advantageous?

The problem, Tony, is that the wider argument is that they aren't that 'committed' though I genuinely accept that it isn't the argument you wanted to make. I might find issues with the post(s) you've made on the subject but I'm not viewing you as the same as those (elsewhere - e.g. comments sections, social media, down the pub) who are making that much wider argument.

I also think the point about dual nationality is very important. Questions about the security of people's British citizenship have surely to be viewed within the prism of recent Government and Ministerial pronouncements and actions taken by the Home Office. No one should be under any illusion that merely naturalising as a British citizen guarantees them their future (or their rights) in this country.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Assuming it was before 2011 that you lived there then you wouldn't have been able to. Before then Hungary didn't allow dual nationality and you'd have had to renounce your British citizenship.

According to this, anyway.

https://www.dualcitizenship.com/countries/hungari.html

There was already a law that said the child of every Hungarian citizen becomes a Hungarian citizen by birth  , so that would make any children dual citizens if they were born to a Hungarian in the Uk (for example)  , so there was precedent for dual citizenship in Hungary before 2011  ,  it wouldn't have been straight forward but it could have been done 

The 2011 law change was more about right of blood  and resident citizenship to ethnic Hungarians living in the neighbouring states of Romania, Slovakia, etc

guess you owe 5 people a refund on their likes :P

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think we should be rather cautious about weighing in behind John Major on proroguing Parliament.

More so how brexiteers are happy to suffer pain just to see remoaners cry.

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

There was already a law that said the child of every Hungarian citizen becomes a Hungarian citizen by birth  , so that would make any children dual citizens if they were born to a Hungarian in the Uk (for example)  , so there was precedent for dual citizenship in Hungary before 2011  ,  it wouldn't have been straight forward but it could have been done 

Were you a child of a Hungarian?

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Sorry, I'm not sure how that addresses my point?

My point was the actions and reactions of brexiteers. I wasn't disagreeing with your statement on Major. I think you've picked out one part of the clip, as have I.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Were you a child of a Hungarian?

No ,  but as I went onto say , it showed there was precedent for dual nationality so the quoted website wasn't strictly accurate with its information

We briefly explored it when i was out there and was told it could be done  , events then over took matters, and we came to the UK

14 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I watched the opening ceremony from the 2012 Olympics, and... I wish that was my country again. Sure, we weren't perfect. But it was open, welcoming, fun.

When the queen was up for jumping out of helicopters with James Bond...now she jumps into bed with the far right etonian toffs...

• Like 1

Â