Top Gear 2016

tonyh29

You know who I think would make a good host ahead of Chris Evans. Paddy Mcguinness. that guys got my charisma in his finger nails than chris evans.

Le Blancs good, I would definitely keep him. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

Evans a little annoying, but he is not that bad in my opinion. LeBlanc I like. He doesn't seem fake. They need another consistent presenter. 

For me, the current style only really works if you have curmudgeonly, middle-aged grumpiness. If they wanted a show that attempts to be cool, with more 'pep' and audience interaction, they should've reinvented the format altogether IMO.

The two challenges so far have also lacked an objective. There was literally no point to driving the Reliants across the UK, and all the SUV's had to do was get to the pub. There was no outcome other than Matt le Blanc was the best driver. No explanation on why the Merc had a 2.1 litre 4 cylinder diesel yet the others had the bigger 6 cylinder engines. Perhaps it produces similar torque figures, or maybe it is much cheaper? Twin turbos for extra power and efficiency perhaps? Is there an equivalent six-pot in the range? No mention of any specs of the cars - not even a nod to the trim levels.

On new car tests with the previous regime, there was at least a verdict on which car was favoured by each of the trio.

This was just 3 cars going to a pub, with no conclusion as to which car was best.   

And as for Evans....

9Mpgm.gif

• Like 1

Jenson Button was the highlight for me, he's got that likeable way about him, whereas Evans, well, he should be pushed out of a moving car. I can't take to LeBlanc, simple as that. Like Stan, I too tuned in to see what the F-Pace was like (nice to see how our products are received), but didn't really learn much. It was very poor and in the end I fast forwarded until the end. On old TG you sort of "cared" who won the challenges, but with the new version, I don't really give a toss and I more than likely never will. I'll give Extra Gear a go later and see if that, like last week, can redeem the show.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

For me, the current style only really works if you have curmudgeonly, middle-aged grumpiness. If they wanted a show that attempts to be cool, with more 'pep' and audience interaction, they should've reinvented the format altogether IMO.

The two challenges so far have also lacked an objective. There was literally no point to driving the Reliants across the UK, and all the SUV's had to do was get to the pub. There was no outcome other than Matt le Blanc was the best driver. No explanation on why the Merc had a 2.1 litre 4 cylinder diesel yet the others had the bigger 6 cylinder engines. Perhaps it produces similar torque figures, or maybe it is much cheaper? Twin turbos for extra power and efficiency perhaps? Is there an equivalent six-pot in the range? No mention of any specs of the cars - not even a nod to the trim levels.

On new car tests with the previous regime, there was at least a verdict on which car was favoured by each of the trio.

had a look online earlier and the Jag has about 40 horse power more than the macan and yet it got beat by 7 seconds  in that road race .... but as you say we have no idea if that is down to the cars or the drivers ..  the Jag is slightly quicker 0 - 60  but it also a lot heavier

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

had a look online earlier and the Jag has about 40 horse power more than the macan and yet it got beat by 7 seconds  in that road race .... but as you say we have no idea if that is down to the cars or the drivers ..  the Jag is slightly quicker 0 - 60  but it also a lot heavier

Don't think the white with those alloys did it justice either. Even though they were black, the 5-spoke alloy design let the car down IMO. Looked entry-level, but no idea what the trim level of that car was. 

As tested:

glacierwhite_054.jpg

Prefer the design of these though:

maxresdefault.jpg

Apologies for going OT.

The reliant drive was pretty silly. I remember watching it and wondering why they were even doing it. It was short, and seemed to have zero purpose. Matt's kept breaking down and when they finally made it, I was left wonder what was the purpose? I figured it was just going to be a way to get acquainted with the new hosts, but it wasn't that either. It was just a terrible attempt at humor that was pretty boring. I think they just assumed that a goofy car + car troubles would be enjoyable to view, but it wasn't at all. 

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

The reliant drive was pretty silly. I remember watching it and wondering why they were even doing it. It was short, and seemed to have zero purpose. Matt's kept breaking down and when they finally made it, I was left wonder what was the purpose? I figured it was just going to be a way to get acquainted with the new hosts, but it wasn't that either. It was just a terrible attempt at humor that was pretty boring. I think they just assumed that a goofy car + car troubles would be enjoyable to view, but it wasn't at all. 

I think the guys upstairs at the BBC are naive enough to think that it was all about the format, when almost everyone I know that watched Top Gear did so because of the personalities of the three blokes hosting it. I didn't like them (apart from May), but they were entertaining. You can't just copy and paste the format and end up with decent telly, just look at the US Top Gear.

The new guys reuse the format, the gags, even some of the catchphrases. It's never going to be anything other than "kind of like old Top Gear, but not as good" if they insit on mimicking Clarkson et al instead of reinventing the show.

I didn't mind the first episode *that* much, but this isn't going to work is it?  It's like Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood hosting the Brits, ie it's like they drew random celebrity names out of a hat to see who they were going to pair.

The programme had got stale as it was, and that was with the benefit of the matey chemistry the presenters had.  Every week seemed to be the same race in a different city between a car, bike and public transport, with the same problems and end results.  Now they've lost that connection between the presenters and the audience, and I don't think they'll get it back.  It'd be like sacking everybody from Coronation Street or Great British Bake Off, replacing them with competent people and expecting people to still care.

• Like 1

I also can't wait to see the latest lot of viewing figures after Evans' Rafa-style rant.

Ignoring the fact that he chose to compare the first episode of the new series to the first episode of Clarkson Top Gear v2.0, rather than the most recent series, he failed to realise that the numbers were probably higher than they're going to be in the foreseeable future because people were curious about the new format. I fully expect the figures to fall off a cliff. I hope the piss taking is relentless.

Edit:

Oh. They already announced them, oops. Bad luck, Evans, you clearing in the woods.

Antiques Roadshow had 50%+ more viewers than Top Gear. FACT. :lol:

Chris Evans’ Top Gear suffered a big drop in its viewing figures for its second episode, drawing what is thought to be its lowest audience for at least a decade.

The BBC motoring show – worth £50m a year to the BBC in worldwide sales – lost a third of its audience, pulling in just 2.8 million viewers, a 14% share of the audience on Sunday night.

Evans had previously said he would be “disappointed” if the show drew less than 5 million ahead of its high profile return following the axing of Jeremy Clarkson last year.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/06/chris-evans-top-gear-ratings-bbc

The presenter took to Twitter last week after the first episode drew an overnight audience of 4.3 million viewers, saying it had many more on catchup and on the BBC’s iPlayer. 

Evans said on Monday, after the latest viewing figures came out, that people were “repositioning” the way they watch TV and said a total of 9 million viewers had watched the first episode, more than double its overnight audience.

The official consolidated figures for the launch show, including people who recorded it and watched it in the following seven days, are expected on Monday. It is thought Evans is also including people who watched it on iPlayer.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

I don't want Top Gear to get cancelled, but I do want it to change. Hopefully these numbers will wake BBC up. Stop trying to reuse the old top gear formula. Evans isn't Clarkson and Matt isn't May or Hammond. It just won't work. Get someone else in who is very likable and let the three of them do stupid adventures around the world, all while actually reviewing different types of cars. Also get rid of the star in a car. Even when it's someone I like, it still is quite boring. Fans of the show even disliked that with the old top gear and it was slowly being driven out of the series. 

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I also can't wait to see the latest lot of viewing figures after Evans' Rafa-style rant.

Ignoring the fact that he chose to compare the first episode of the new series to the first episode of Clarkson Top Gear v2.0, rather than the most recent series, he failed to realise that the numbers were probably higher than they're going to be in the foreseeable future because people were curious about the new format. I fully expect the figures to fall off a cliff. I hope the piss taking is relentless.

Edit:

Oh. They already announced them, oops. Bad luck, Evans, you clearing in the woods.

Antiques Roadshow had 50%+ more viewers than Top Gear. FACT. :lol:

Evans has been on the warpath already. Overnight ratings don't matter anymore, on demand does. Next week ratings only matter for viewers that own a driving licence.

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Evans said on Monday, after the latest viewing figures came out, that people were “repositioning” the way they watch TV and said a total of 9 million viewers had watched the first episode, more than double its overnight audience.

The official consolidated figures for the launch show, including people who recorded it and watched it in the following seven days, are expected on Monday. It is thought Evans is also including people who watched it on iPlayer.

Initially I read that as "It is thought Evans is also included in the the people who watched it on iPlayer" and credited the Guardian with more lols than they deserved.

• Like 1

Just watching last night's episode. It's not as bad as the first so far but it's still a mess. The SIARPC section was always filler but now they've made it incredibly cringeworthy to watch. Chris Evans is still the worst thing about it.

On a completely separate note, Sharleen Spiteri is finally looking a bit ropey.

I am currently watching episode 2, and Evans doesn't annoy me as much as it seems he annoys everyone else, but I do hate how fake he seems. His shouting and facial expressions seem so unrealistic. I understand the McLaren is fast, but you don't have to be shouting every second and making crazy faces every time you do something with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just watching last night's episode. It's not as bad as the first so far but it's still a mess. The SIARPC section was always filler but now they've made it incredibly cringeworthy to watch. Chris Evans is still the worst thing about it.

On a completely separate note, Sharleen Spiteri is finally looking a bit ropey.

Very Average band who Evans plugged to death as he had the hots for her and managed to propel her to stardom 

seems he's still doing his bit to keep her in the public eye , another reason to hate him ... I'm expecting Danny Baker as the star in the car next week ...

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Very Average band who Evans plugged to death as he had the hots for her and managed to propel her to stardom 

seems he's still doing his bit to keep her in the public eye , another reason to hate him ... I'm expecting Danny Baker as the star in the car next week ...

Screen-Shot-2016-06-06-at-000937.png

Edited by StanBalaban

Â