Top Gear 2016

tonyh29

Never really liked Top Gear, and didn't watch it last night (well, I caught 5 minutes of it and turned off as I was thoroughly bored), but I see Chris Evans seemed to have a bit of a Benitez-esque meltdown on twitter. FACT.

The one thing I did notice from watching that first 5 minutes or so, Evans was trying his hardest to be Clarkson. If you want Top Gear to become it's own, new thing, don't try imitate what it was.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

17 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I see Chris Evans seemed to have a bit of a Benitez-esque meltdown on twitter. FACT.

Brilliant :)  Thanks for that :crylaugh:

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Either get Evans to calm down or bin him. Get rid of the wacky zany crap like laser guns and robin reliant sand focus on the bloody cars.

It's never going to become a serious car show, it wouldn't be a worldwide hit if it was. Too much competition in that area, not least on YouTube where there's tons of channels just straight reviewing cars.

They need to keep the challenges and road trips, tone down Chris Evans and leave out the US v GB thing and it will be ok. 

I'm sure they'll find their feet sooner or later.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Interesting to hear people talk about the show finding its feet or settling down, but it has already been filmed.  All the shouting and screaming has been committed to tape.  So it is what it is and it's likely to remain that way.  OK the bits in the studio might improve off the back of feedback, but the rest is done and dusted :crylaugh:

• Like 1

The bits in the studio only improve if someone takes away Evans' 'sharpener' (/takes him outside with a revolver) and sends LeBlanc to the bar for an hour before filming.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Interesting to hear people talk about the show finding its feet or settling down, but it has already been filmed.  All the shouting and screaming has been committed to tape.  So it is what it is and it's likely to remain that way.  OK the bits in the studio might improve off the back of feedback, but the rest is done and dusted :crylaugh:

Only the "on the road" segments have been pre-filmed which doesn't bother me as Evans screaming over the sound of a wailing engine makes a bit more sense than when he does it in the studio. The studio segments at least back in the Clarkson era were filmed mid-week ahead of the Sunday airing so they could keep up to date with the car world. That said the Clarkson-era also had a news segment every week mainly to reuse the "Dacia Sandero" joke over and over again which meant they had to stay current, unless it's coming in future episodes it doesn't appear that the Evans-era has a news segment so maybe it is all pre-recorded.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I know. I said that in my last bit :)

Aha! I completely glossed over that. Oh how much typing that would have saved, I've been mis-reading stuff all day I apologise lol.

• Like 1

The studio bits are truly awful. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with the overly long 'star' section?

The challenge was alright, but they told us virtually nothing about the cars (unless I missed it??). Got engine capacity, but nothing about price, no critique, not even a shot of the interiors IIRC. Better than last week but even the dog shit Top Gear USA had the good sense to ditch the studio all together when they couldn't get it to work. 

10 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

The studio bits are truly awful. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with the overly long 'star' section?

The challenge was alright, but they told us virtually nothing about the cars (unless I missed it??). Got engine capacity, but nothing about price, no critique, not even a shot of the interiors IIRC. Better than last week but even the dog shit Top Gear USA had the good sense to ditch the studio all together when they couldn't get it to work. 

agreed  ..I've got one eye on an F-Pace and was hoping they would give a proper run down on it .. I learnt next to nothing from that segment

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

agreed  ..I've got one eye on an F-Pace and was hoping they would give a proper run down on it .. I learnt next to nothing from that segment

A comparable segment from the old show would be when they took a Bentley Continental, BMW M6 Gran Coupe and Nissan GTR across the outback of Australia. As it happens, it wasn't the most interesting of trips and in no way a real-life representation of what those cars would go through, but we still got to see more of the cars amidst the buffoonery.

For a corporation where advertisers don't have an influence (in the UK at least), it actually felt like a non-BBC show where you got the impression that they were scared to criticise any of the products for fear of pissing off the manufacturers.    

• Like 1

Â