Top Gear 2016

tonyh29

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, entirely accurate. No human being less amusing than James May has ever walked the surface of this planet. 

Hammond-and-Clarkson.jpg

well here's two without even trying

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

Even allowing for an assumed dislike of Top Gear, you must not have seen very much of anything else he has done.  He's arguably the funniest and definitely the cleverest part of Top Gear and his other shows are really good, generally very interesting and always full of humour :)

I agree , his humour is very clever , maybe even missed by a lot of people as a result  *  .... and it sorta compliments Clarksons sledge hammer approach to humour  .. Hammond I do find a tad irritating though  , hams it up too much and he isn't a good enough actor to pull it off

As for Top Gear being passed its sell  by date I thought the current series was one of the best yet , shame we never got to see how it ended 

* I should clarify that in case its taken as a dig or an attempt at comedy superiority....  you have to be a bit of a Geek in a way or have an interest in certain subjects  to get some of his references is what I mean  ..

Edited by tonyh29

Hammond overdid it too much and at one point seemed to be unavoidably hosting every show going. 

Of the 3, I preferred May anyway, struck me as decidedly normal and not-dickish. 

Not watched Top Gear for a few years though, but tempted to give these new lot a try at least. 

It's weird, I used to like Top Gear, once upon a time. It was good for a couple of seasons after it was brought back. I used to love cars, generally - when I was a small child, my hobby was lining up toy cars into traffic jams on the carpet, and I was much more interested in Formula 1 than football as child, and I went through a period of about two years when I purchased every edition of Autocar magazine. 

So, it's a bit difficult to say when why I stopped liking Top Gear, but I can isolate several reasons:

1] It became too much about challenges, like Stevo said previously. These went from very interesting (riding motorbikes through Vietnam - how many times did I teach that lesson!) to very contrived and dull. 

2] It became more political. This is fine; I'm not complaining. But I'm very much not the target audience for it - indeed, I feel like I'm pretty much the imagined antagonist, so I don't really need to spend an hour being moaned and sneered at. 

3] I just don't like James May. I honestly don't find him even slightly amusing. Hammond I find alright, because he's enthusiastic and that's good for television. Clarkson is a boor, but his jokes are funny and he just does line readings well. But May I don't think I've ever laughed at once. I haven't watched much of his other stuff - I don't watch much TV - but I did see a documentary about the history of toys once, and it seemed to be the same combination of smug and boring that he always emanates. He reminds me of so many other things I don't like about the UK - public schools, Mumford & Suns, idiotic tourists in loud shirts. 

and finally, 

4] I'm just not that interested in cars any more, really. But I might give the new show a try. I won't return to the old one. 

Sorry, this was basically a reply to @BOF

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

full cast announced

they seem to have missed a handicapped person out for a full house of BBC box ticking ? 

ca614rswiaagxvc-1-736x414.jpg

To be fair, all those years of putting up with 'learning difficulties' Clarkson, they probably feel they've given that box more than enough respect.

Eh, maybe Eddie Jordan there Tegis :)  (beside Stig).

I wonder how regular they'll all be.  It's a bit much to have 6 on each episode.  Or maybe not.  I dunno.  It just goes to show how much the others were on when they can divvy up the cash amongst twice as many now, one of which (Evans) is no doubt on a pretty penny himself.

• Like 1

Ah, I know who Eddie is but I could never point him out in a crowd. Never been a F1 guy per see.

After quick Mooney, I've seen the Chris Harris bloke on the Joe Rogan podcast. Seemed alright.

It could be like old Top Gear, that had shitloads of presenters, they probably won't all be in the studio all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them only really appear in the video segments.   Every move they have made so far has been a good one as far as I'm concerned.  I like Chris Evans, I like Matt Le Blanc (I was a teenager in the 90s, what else do you expect?) and the other announcements are good too.  Sabine is popular with fans of the Clarkson era, Chris Harris is a cool guy who has done a shitload on YouTube. I'm not really familiar with Rory Reid though.  Can't wait for the series to start. :)

20 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

It could be like old Top Gear, that had shitloads of presenters, they probably won't all be in the studio all the time. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them only really appear in the video segments.   Every move they have made so far has been a good one as far as I'm concerned.  I like Chris Evans, I like Matt Le Blanc (I was a teenager in the 90s, what else do you expect?) and the other announcements are good too.  Sabine is popular with fans of the Clarkson era, Chris Harris is a cool guy who has done a shitload on YouTube. I'm not really familiar with Rory Reid though.  Can't wait for the series to start. :)

Sabine is the only positive for me.  It's actually news to me that she's on the cast.  Well, news in the past week anyway.  I must have missed that announcement as I've pretty much resigned this show to being the desperate and ultimately failed attempt from an out of touch broadcaster trying to cling to as many fans as they can.  Which is fair enough I suppose. What else could they do?  They could hardly let a cashcow die.

What I'm getting from the feedback so far is that people who really liked the recent Top Gear i.e. those who didn't watch it each week in order to moan about it, think the new one based on its presenters is shaping up to be shit.  Whereas fairweather fans and people looking in from afar, neither of whom watch the show in great numbers or have a particular interest in cars, seem to like the changes.  But the take-up in viewership of those kinds of people will be much lower.  So you lose a fanbase and get some well-wishers who in all likelyhood won't turn up in their droves to watch you anyway.  I suppose it is a form of damage limitation though as said above.

• Like 1

Well, I think it's a given that hardcore fans of the particular three departed presenters aren't going to be interested in this show, at least compared to their new show. 

There's absolutely nothing the BBC could have done about that. 

Beyond that, you're left with arguing that there shouldn't be a primetime motoring show on the BBC. Which I don't think is an argument many people want to make. 

• Like 1

Â