Top Gear 2016

tonyh29

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Matt Le Blanc revealed as co-host  ..... be interesting to see how the dynamics will work with him and Evans

:o:crylaugh:

What a **** abortion of a line-up.

• Like 1

Hopefully they get rid of the scripted challenges and the silly characterisation of the presenters which made top gear so stale. I'm not sure whether LeBlanc will have the presenting skills but I'm glad they didn't just go for a clone of one of the old lot.

I'm actually totally on board with Le Blanc. He's a genuine car fan, he's genuinely funny and he's **** cool.

I think it's the first thing about the new series that I actually think is a good idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

If they take it back to how "new" Top Gear was in, say 2007-2010 then I'll be loving it.  It should be a car show where people have a laugh, not a third rate sketch show where they endlessly recycle the same half dozen jokes.  Just look at what people were saying about the last couple of years of Clarkson's run, it was all so depressingly predictable. Hammond would 'accidentally' knock something over in his car but somehow the crew managed to capture it from three different angles which were all perfectly framed.  They would go on a trip somewhere and May would fall asleep first so the other two would sneak into his car in the middle of the night and vandalise it by supergluing the aircon on to full heat or doing a shit in the glove box or something. They would all buy each other something unwieldy like a cannonball or a life size inflatable sex toy and have to carry it about for the next twenty minutes. 

Make it about cars again. Chris Evans can do funny. Matt LeBlanc can do funny. They can get good guests, they will have a big budget, they can't really cock it up can they? 

Absolutely this.

And if they do do some challenges, I've been saying for years now they need to actually do them. Stop making it so obviously scripted. Set some genuine challenges and actually have the guys do it rather than go for cheap laughs with the whole thing set up.

Everything that people claim was so scripted and repetitive about the last 5 years is exactly why it was so popular around the world. Its easy to criticise but why change a winning formula? A formula that all 3 of them are currently raking in the money for, no less.

I personally had no complaints that's what Top Gear had become, all it said to me was that there was a market for a more serious magazine type show to sit alongside it, it seems like now we have the best of both worlds. (and no 5th gear in sight thank god!)

Popular doesn't mean good.

And people who want that same formula will follow that trio to Amazon.

If BBC try and keep it the same then they'll probably lose a lot of viewers to that. I think there only chance of keeping Top Gear a success is by reinventing it to a degree.

I agree Stevo.  I was and I am a huge fan of Top Gear, by which I mean the format and trio that the noisy minority seemed to like putting down whilst the quiet majority continued to watch in their droves (as I suspect did the noisy minority ;)).  I'll follow them to Amazon or wherever I can get my hands on it (legally of course ...).

But the only chance the BBC had of not failing miserably in direct competition with Clarkson, May & Hammond was to not BE in direct competition with them.  I suspect they'll be going after the Fifth Gear crowd now.  Which is fair enough.  Both can co-exist I expect, and TG has at least got the big advantage that they don't have Vicki Butler-Henderson presenting it.

• Like 1

I actually had gone off Top Gear for the past couple of years.

I used to love it, but the outrageous falseness of all the challenges just completely put me off recently. I understand why people still loved it, and I did still watch the odd episode, but I lost a lot of interest.

I'll check out their new show, but I'd be surprised if they win me back as I expect it to be largely the same.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree Stevo.  I was and I am a huge fan of Top Gear, by which I mean the format and trio that the noisy minority seemed to like putting down whilst the quiet majority continued to watch in their droves (as I suspect did the noisy minority ;)).  I'll follow them to Amazon or wherever I can get my hands on it (legally of course ...).

But the only chance the BBC had of not failing miserably in direct competition with Clarkson, May & Hammond was to not BE in direct competition with them.  I suspect they'll be going after the Fifth Gear crowd now.  Which is fair enough.  Both can co-exist I expect, and TG has at least got the big advantage that they don't have Vicki Butler-Henderson presenting it.

Mate Le blanc has more humuor in his thumb than Clarkson has in his whole buddy. definitely think Le Blanc is a great choice. more concerned about Chris Evans. 

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually had gone off Top Gear for the past couple of years.

I used to love it, but the outrageous falseness of all the challenges just completely put me off recently. I understand why people still loved it, and I did still watch the odd episode, but I lost a lot of interest.

I'll check out their new show, but I'd be surprised if they win me back as I expect it to be largely the same.

It became Mrs Browns Boys or Miranda or the exact thing Rick Gervais satirized in Extras than a car show - the last 4/5 years were absolutely cringe worthy, and not in a good way.

Â